Accepting squadron command at the end of the month!

Started by BFreemanMA, January 19, 2015, 11:49:20 PM

SeanM

Isn't that what CAP stands for?  "Commander Always Pays?"   ;)

Congrats on your first month!

Sean
Sean McClanahan, Lt Col, CAP
Squadron Commander, Delaware Legislative Squadron
Director of Emergency Services - Delaware Wing

Storm Chaser

It looks like you're on the right track. Congratulations and good luck!

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 27, 2015, 11:58:51 PM
It looks like you're on the right track. Congratulations and good luck!

Speaking of which, did you recently become a group commander or did I just now notice that star on the command pin?

Storm Chaser

Mela_007

May I ask a question of this group (I have seen a lot of great suggestions here)?  I was in the same place last year when, either I took command or they would have to fold the long standing squadron (nobody else would step up).  I applied and got the position, with a change of command ceremony 10 days prior to my 1 year membership in CAP.  :o

My question is:  How do you handle the sometimes overwhelming stress?

There was no pass down, nor training, plus the squadron was/is in a serious state of flux.  The squadron senior members have really taken this on and we are holding our own, but...I really don't know if I can handle all of this (on top of everything else).  I don't even know what I'm doing as a normal member (still a very new member) and I'm in "command"?!?!!!!!  Wing is happy with me thus far, but I just don't know what to do.....
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Paul Creed III

Find yourself a fellow squadron commander or former commander who is willing to mentor you. Every commander was new once and feeling overwhelmed.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Storm Chaser

This is unfortunately reality for many CAP units. In an ideal world, you would have a few years of experience and some training under your belt before being tasked for a command position. That's not the case many times.

As a new commander, you should be enrolled in the Command specialty track and your wing commander should have appointed you a mentor. If that didn't happen, I would certainly find someone experienced to serve as your mentor. It can make a huge difference. Talk to your fellow commanders. Attend every training opportunity you can (within reason, as you're probably already overtasked). Take advantage of your staff and delegate. Make sure they be trained and mentored as well.

Make sure you're still doing things that you find interesting or fun. I've seen many commanders leave CAP or become inactive because they were burned out and CAP stopped being fun for them. And finally, keep things into perspective and don't forget your priorities. While you made a commitment to CAP, your family, work, etc. come first. Don't neglect them because of CAP.

lordmonar

Quote from: Mela_007 on April 07, 2015, 10:11:06 PM
May I ask a question of this group (I have seen a lot of great suggestions here)?  I was in the same place last year when, either I took command or they would have to fold the long standing squadron (nobody else would step up).  I applied and got the position, with a change of command ceremony 10 days prior to my 1 year membership in CAP.  :o

There was no pass down, nor training, plus the squadron was/is in a serious state of flux.  The squadron senior members have really taken this on and we are holding our own, but...I really don't know if I can handle all of this (on top of everything else).  I don't even know what I'm doing as a normal member (still a very new member) and I'm in "command"?!?!!!!!  Wing is happy with me thus far, but I just don't know what to do.....
Well you sort of answered your own question.

PPPP....Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

How you do you avoid the learning curve?   1) Identify your replacement early.  2) Get that person the training as soon as possible.  3) Mentor and build on that training during your tenure as commander.  4) Prior to the change of command....start handing off more responsibilities to that individual.  5) After the change of command....take a step back.....but still be there for the new commander to lend a hand.

In your case.....don't be afraid to tell wing you don't know what you are doing and ask for help.   You should be enrolled in the command specialty track and you should have a mentor who has BTDT....and should be helping you out.

Wing/Group should also be able to give one on one training to help you out....that is one of their jobs.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spam

Quote from: Mela_007 on April 07, 2015, 10:11:06 PM

There was no pass down, nor training, plus the squadron was/is in a serious state of flux.  The squadron senior members have really taken this on and we are holding our own, but...I really don't know if I can handle all of this (on top of everything else). 

First, above all else, I'd say to remember your priorities in life: your faith, your family, and your job, before CAP or any volunteer position. Next, the overriding CAP priority: keep your volunteers safe, as they're your number one asset before airplanes, trucks, and facilities (were we a combat organization, we'd have to make harsher decisions as commanders about when to spend lives and materiel, but thankfully few of us have had members die under our command).

Having said, lets nail down the sources of that stress - externally or internally imposed? 

Here's the concrete answer to handling the stress via establishing specific performance guidance.  If you've no pass down, then don't worry about meeting the expectations of higher command (as they haven't expressed any); your goals should align then with the corporate CAP goals as expressed in the unit self inspection guidelines (checklists) at:  http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/inspector_general/inspection-checklist/

Here's the holistic answer to managing the stress.  We're all volunteers, what can they do, dock our pay? Your value to the organization as a Commander lies in your willingness to both manage (the day to day mechanics of checking people off in eservices for whatnot) as well as lead (decide what your goals are for the unit and apply participative leadership to motivate other volunteers to share in owning the process of making the unit a success, as well as the more unpleasant but very necessary aspects such as corrective counseling and unfavorable personnel actions). Command itself is inherently somewhat lonely at times, since at the end of the day we who command hold the responsibility though we delegate the authority (to deputies, to cadet commanders, to ops officers, et al). If you as the CO feel the need to unburden, then you need to NOT BEAR IT IN SILENCE, but to approach brother/sister Commanders and, should you be inclined, a Chaplain, to debrief/de-stress. Personally, I've always advocated an informal "debrief" meeting at a local watering hole after the meeting to knock back a couple of "Coca Colas" with the guys, which helps in both gathering the mood/intent of the troops, and avoids making you the unapproachable ships Captain in his aft cabin.

For what its worth, I'm joining you again tomorrow night, as I'm handing over my Director of Cadet Programs gig for a fifth Command tour (fourth at Squadron level).  PM me if you want to chat!

V/R,
Spam

Garibaldi

I was waiting to see if he was going to say something first, before I did.

Spam and I are going to be the command staff of our unit as of tonight.

A couple weeks ago, our commander requested a meeting of the seniors after our meeting and both he and the CD announced it was time, neither had the time to devote fully as active members anymore. So, the hat was passed, and Spam accepted commaned with me as his deputy.

Balancing your personal life with all that needs to be done in the CC role seems to be the overlying issue to me. I have no personal life to speak of and sometimes overfill that gap with CAP stuff. I know of more than a few marriages that ended or were seriously strained by a term as CC, but that was before term limits.

Seek balance, you should, or consume you, the dark side will.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Mela_007

I really do like this site and forget about it when I am away for a while. What I appreciate so much is the encouragement and advice from the heart that I receive. Thank you for replying!! 

I think my biggest problem right now is losing sight of the fun or interest as Storm Chaser mentioned. My own training and learning almost completely stopped when I took command. Our squadron had a major change as we lost our CC, DC, and cadet 1st Sgt. all about the same time.

I think it really is the balance I have not learned or found yet. Many willing to help me from the squadron to the wing, I'm just going to have to figure out how to get my personal fun with CAP back without putting everything else out of balance. Glad to know I'm not alone though!

Mela
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Tim Medeiros

Just a note, the SUI inspection checklists are at http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/inspector_general/sui/ the ones linked above are actually for wing Compliance Inspections.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811