Active Duty USAF Considering CAP

Started by Go_Blue, August 07, 2012, 09:27:14 PM

Go_Blue

Greetings all,

I'm an active duty USAF LT and am looking at potentially joining a local CAP squadron.  I've done very limited research, so my first question is:  can I even join as AD military?  I haven't seen anything saying no, but clarification is always good.

I'm mostly interested in working with some of the cadets and maybe even being a spotter to get a little time in the sky (I'm not an aviator in my professional life).   I'm TDY at the moment and won't contact the local squadrons about specifics until I return.  However, I was curious how many other AD members here also work with CAP, and how that works for you.  The emergency services/SAR side of it all interests me too, as most of my family are involved with EMS/Fire Depts back home.  I never got in to that myself, but CAP's mission seems a little more my style.

I'm considering other volunteer organizations as well, but thought I'd stop in here and get a feel for CAP first.  In addition to my (24/7) job, I have a diverse set of interests and activities to balance with volunteering.  I've done Habitat for Humanity, blood drives, humane organizations, and coaching sports.  CAP may be a great opportunity, depending how much time they require.  Also, as I understand it, I could come in as a Senior Member as an equivalent to my current rank?  Just wanted to confirm.

For other AD members:
On a weekly basis, how much time do you usually give to CAP?   Do you find being AD makes it difficult to find the time for CAP (ie. job requirements, exercises, deployments, etc)?
Do you find certain roles or CAP activities to be more complimentary to your AD life?  If so, which ones?

Again, this is a very vague first post, and for that I apologize.  I'm mainly looking for the input of those who are or were AD while also working with CAP.  I'd love to know anything you think is pertinent in terms of balancing both, as well as any additional expectations that may exist for AD members.  Thank you!

RogueLeader

Yes you may join being Active duty.

As to how much time it takes depends on the local situation, with your AD Unit, as well as your CAP duties.

Being Army Enlisted, I had more time to devote than most Officers I've seen.  However, quite a few of my units Senior Members are Active Duty.  I've found that any of my duties (of which are too many to mention concisely) that have helped out my Army career.  Active duty I gave about 6 hours a week.  Actual meetings, prepping, and studying CAP stuff.  Again, I was enlisted, and I was able to get away with it.

CAP has been very rewarding place, and you get out what you put in.  I don't drive 80 miles one way for no reason.  ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

av8tr1

As we are an "official" auxiliary there are no limitations on being a member which on AD.  I'm at Lewis McCord.  We have lots of AD members in our squadron.  Some of them commit a lot of time to our unit.  We also have some of the more senior staff from the base (including the base commander) that support us in many ways. 

Look up your local CAP unit on the national website.  Send the CO a email about joining up and what you want to do.  Then go visit when you have a chance.  Just remember each unit has it's own personality.  It's a good idea to visit a couple of units before you settle. 

Yes you can go in to CAP with an equivalent grade.  You unit CO will have to put in paperwork but it's just a formality.  The will need a copy of your DD214. 

As for how much time you need to commit, it is entirely up to you.  Like most volunteer organizations you get out of it what you put into it.  There is no minimum time requirement but you will be encouraged to participate.  I'm the DCS (along with our ES officer, only current pilot, assistant AE officer, and the Wing GT training coordinator) and it feels like I am full time with my unit.  We have over 100 members at the moment so we are a pretty busy squadron. 

Thanks for your service.

Stonewall

I was very active in CAP through my active duty time when I was enlisted in the Army.  Unless I was at a school or training overnight in the field, I seemed to be free for Thursday night meetings 90% of the time.  I even held a pretty active position in the squadron at the time.  Ironically, I have had less time to participate being in the Air Guard than when I was AD because I have a full-time career and use weekends for the Guard. 

Throughout my 25  years in CAP, 5 as a cadet, I have known A LOT of AD folks that volunteered in CAP, especially when I was in National Capital Wing.  I had an active duty Major as a squadron commander and then a Lt Col.

Heck, a former National CAP Commander (2 star) was an active duty AF O-6 a few years back.

As far as a weekly basis and time, as much or as little as you desire/can.  Squadrons meet 1 night a week for about 2 hours, sometimes 2 1/2.  If you volunteer in certain capacities, you may find yourself spending a few hours outside of the meeting getting things accomplished (emails, paperwork, online safety courses, etc.).
Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

I served concurrently AD (USN enlisted) and CAP real-time for about eight years. I had a fair amount of freedom with my job to be able to spend the needed time with CAP. You do what you can, and the CAP folks appreciate whatever you can contribute.

As for the rank thing, AD officers don't have DD-214s, but there should be some official service record entry documenting the current promotion.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

CAP is just like anything else;  it's an extracurricular activity you do in your 'off hours'.
Even those of us not in the military, fit CAP in after our 40 (+) hours of work a week...
Same deal.

What base are you at?
What career field?

Go_Blue

Thank you everyone for the comments so far.  I really appreciate the time and insight.  I have the contact information for the local squadrons and will be contacting them once I get home and can look at my schedule a little closer. 

Quote from: coudano on August 08, 2012, 12:07:16 AM
CAP is just like anything else;  it's an extracurricular activity you do in your 'off hours'.
Even those of us not in the military, fit CAP in after our 40 (+) hours of work a week...
Same deal.
I never insinuated that the non-military members didn't have to sacrifice time, I was simply interested to hear how AD status affected CAP volunteering/vice versa, if at all.

What career field?
Personnel.

bosshawk

As has been pointed out, you do not have a DD Form 214 to substantiate your rank.  However, you do have an ID card and promotion orders for your current rank.  That should be enough to substantiate that issue.

Several have pointed out that the amount of time that you devote to CAP will be entirely up to you.  AD guys/gals are often important contributors to CAP.  I recently met one young guy who is a Global Hawk pilot and he works with the cadets at one of the local squadrons, even while working a 24/7 AF job.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

coudano

Quote from: Go_Blue on August 08, 2012, 12:19:58 AM
I never insinuated that the non-military members didn't have to sacrifice time, I was simply interested to hear how AD status affected CAP volunteering/vice versa, if at all.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were insinuating anything,
I was just saying that AD military members volunteer to CAP in the same way that anyone else does.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Go_Blue on August 08, 2012, 12:19:58 AM

....I was simply interested to hear how AD status affected CAP volunteering/vice versa, if at all.

The only impact I see would be some CAP members may want to utilize your AD status to either the squadron's benefit or their own.  This can be either positive or negative and could put you in an awkward position.  Just handle it all in an ethical, professional and polite manner and you will be fine.  By all means, join up.  I am sure you have a lot to contribute. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Walkman

My current unit has the following:
USAFR Captain, former cadet, came back as adult to give back to an organization that helped him as a youth. He's a Cap Major.
Retired USAF MSgt, another former cadet, CAP Major
USANG TSgt, Crew Chief on A-10s., CAP 2d Lt

Plus: 2 former Army and 2 former Navy.

Of the 14 Senior Members, 7 have served in the military on one way or another.

SaBeR33

Basically what everyone else has already said. Keep in mind though your CAP commander doesn't have to automatically promote you to the same grade you hold in the USAF as that's still up to his discretion. Also, use PTDY whenever you can since you're authorized up to 10 days for various training activities like encampment and leadership schools and up to 4 days for ES-related training and actual missions as well as to attend conferences. Your AD commander has to sign-off on the leave forms and they usually require proof of attendance from what I found during the many times I used PTDY during my 8 years of AD in the USAF. Also, as tempting as it may be go to meetings or other functions in your USAF uniform, don't do it since it can cause a bit of confusion as to who exactly you're representing when you're there. There have been times when I and a couple of my fellow AD members did so because we simply didn't get away from our day jobs in time, we strove not to do so. One last thing, as much as you may want to jump right in and bring to the attention of the CAP members how things are done in the USAF, don't do it. Until you've been a member for awhile simply observe, listen, and ask questions.

Garibaldi

Quote from: SaBeR33 on August 09, 2012, 03:14:47 PM

[snip]

One last thing, as much as you may want to jump right in and bring to the attention of the CAP members how things are done in the USAF, don't do it. Until you've been a member for a while simply observe, listen, and ask questions.

I think that's good advice no matter if you're AD, or a former member coming in after a long absence, or a newbie off the street.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Go_Blue

Quote from: SaBeR33 on August 09, 2012, 03:14:47 PM
Basically what everyone else has already said. Keep in mind though your CAP commander doesn't have to automatically promote you to the same grade you hold in the USAF as that's still up to his discretion. Also, use PTDY whenever you can since you're authorized up to 10 days for various training activities like encampment and leadership schools and up to 4 days for ES-related training and actual missions as well as to attend conferences. Your AD commander has to sign-off on the leave forms and they usually require proof of attendance from what I found during the many times I used PTDY during my 8 years of AD in the USAF. Also, as tempting as it may be go to meetings or other functions in your USAF uniform, don't do it since it can cause a bit of confusion as to who exactly you're representing when you're there. There have been times when I and a couple of my fellow AD members did so because we simply didn't get away from our day jobs in time, we strove not to do so. One last thing, as much as you may want to jump right in and bring to the attention of the CAP members how things are done in the USAF, don't do it. Until you've been a member for awhile simply observe, listen, and ask questions.

Thanks for the input.  As an LT, I am very familiar with knowing when to step up and say something, and when to shut up and listen (which admittedly is more often than the former, lol).  Being that the CAP is not the USAF, and that I'm not familiar with how things are done in CAP, it's best to learn and absorb.  The "Well THIS is how we did things at my last base" mentality is frustrating enough to deal with at work; I can't imagine how distracting that would be with USAF vs. CAP stuff.  I appreciate the mention though, it's a very good point.

If I can make CAP fit into my schedule, I was hoping to take on a low-key role and help mentor some cadets and possibly get involved down the road as a mission scanner.  Definitely wasn't planning on wearing my uniform unless I was attending a meeting between work related events.  That's great information about the PTDYs and such.  Very useful, thank you!

Once again, thank you all for your time and insight.  This sounds like a good opportunity and I hope that I can be involved in the future.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Lieutenant, I can't speak for other units but ours would be glad to have you.

I take it you're currently CONUS(?).  Even if you go overseas, quite a few bases (especially USAFE and PACAF) have overseas squadrons.

Your Air Force experience and training would be useful in many ways.

I was in the ANG and had to get out for medical reasons.  CAP helps me maintain a connection with the Air Force.  I have served in units with members from virtually all of the armed services, including a Vietnam vet USAF PJ, a retired Navy Corpsman (CWO-3, I think), a retired Marine, an AGR ANG MSgt, a Vietnam Army vet of the Signal Corps, and AD, Guard and Reserve members of the USAF.

Just make sure you keep the insignia on your uniforms straight...you wouldn't want to report to your AD job wearing grey epaulettes and nameplate... :P
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Quote from: CyBorg on August 12, 2012, 04:26:45 AM
Lieutenant, I can't speak for other units but ours would be glad to have you.

I take it you're currently CONUS(?).  Even if you go overseas, quite a few bases (especially USAFE and PACAF) have overseas squadrons.

Your Air Force experience and training would be useful in many ways.

I was in the ANG and had to get out for medical reasons.  CAP helps me maintain a connection with the Air Force.  I have served in units with members from virtually all of the armed services, including a Vietnam vet USAF PJ, a retired Navy Corpsman (CWO-3, I think), a retired Marine, an AGR ANG MSgt, a Vietnam Army vet of the Signal Corps, and AD, Guard and Reserve members of the USAF.

Just make sure you keep the insignia on your uniforms straight...you wouldn't want to report to your AD job wearing grey epaulettes and nameplate... :P

Ummm...   Not really. Currently there are only six overseas squadron. I would not characterize that as quite a few.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AirDX

Quote from: CyBorg on August 12, 2012, 04:26:45 AM
quite a few bases (especially USAFE and PACAF) have overseas squadrons.

Not to pick on you sir - but I think they are all in either PACAF or USAFE.  Which gave me a chuckle as I imagined the Al Udeid Cadet Squadron.  Or maybe Djibouti...  :-) 
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

SarDragon

OS units:

Misawa, Japan
Yokota, Japan
Okinawa, Japan (Kadena, I think)
Osan, Korea
Ramstein, Germany
Spangdahlem, Germany
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member