Main Menu

Guerulla army tactics in history

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, May 27, 2010, 03:24:49 AM

manfredvonrichthofen

I know... this has nothing to do with CAP. I was watching the Inglorious Basterds and was wondering if the US military has ever worked any units like that outside of the Viet Nam Police Action. The reason I ask here is that CAP really seems to have by some of the best military historians around.

tsrup

seems like a question that would never generate a response from a person who has btdt.

just throwing that out there.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Cecil DP

Vietnam was a "Police Action"? I don't remember ever wearing a badge there. I do recall being in the war there from 1969-1971.  I notice that your signature line has both the Iraq and Afghan Service medals on there, were those "Police Actions" also.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

lordmonar

Quote from: Cecil DP on May 27, 2010, 01:37:31 PM
Vietnam was a "Police Action"? I don't remember ever wearing a badge there. I do recall being in the war there from 1969-1971.  I notice that your signature line has both the Iraq and Afghan Service medals on there, were those "Police Actions" also.

Quote from: Robert Heinlein Starship TrooperThe historians can't seem to settle whether to call this one "The Third Space War" (or the "Fourth"), or whether "The First Interstellar War" fits it better. We just call it "The Bug War" if we call it anything, which we usually don't and in any case the historians date the beginning of "war" after the time I joined my first outfit and ship. Everything up to then and still later were "incidents," "patrols," or "police actions." However, you are just as dead if you buy the farm in an "incident" as you are if you buy it in a declared war."
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

To answere Robert K's answer....yes the U.S. military has always had some sort of unconventional warfare forces all the way back to the French and Indian wars (which was before the U.S. in fact...but we often trace a lot of our military tradions back to this first "American" war).

BA History, University of Maryland, University College 2005.  ;D

manfredvonrichthofen

The reason I say "Police Action" was that the history books call it a police action... or at least they did when I was a kid. I just din't want to offend anyone by calling it a war. But I guess the offense could go either way. I do still think it was a war.

I was just curious about anything that might have been really controversial that was sanctioned by the US Govt. Like inhumane torture of enemy soldiers.

JC004

If you are interested in the insane and wacky things that the military has done, study WWII.  You'll find plenty.

NIN

And remember that Inglorious Basterds was a work of fiction.  Quentin Tarentino's fiction, no less. 

So no, Hitler did not die in a theater in Paris.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

manfredvonrichthofen

I know, Inglorious Basterds was totally fiction. That's what makes it so awesome. I personally love the tactic scare the livin [Filter Subversion] out of the hearts and minds of the enemy much more than winning them. I would use the tactic given the opportunity in Iraq and Afghanistan.

lordmonar

That is why we have the Law of Armed Conflict.

Scaring the heck out of people does not mean you will have peace in the end.

Just look at 911....scared the U.S. but did we just stop fighting?

manfredvonrichthofen

No, 911 did nothing but make us mad. That is because it was an act of cowardice. Now were it that people were scalping our soldiers and maiming them in a very inhumane way instead of attacking civilians that might just drop the morale of our army so low as to make entire units combat ineffective.

raivo

Quote from: robert.killion on May 27, 2010, 09:37:54 PMNow were it that people were scalping our soldiers and maiming them in a very inhumane way instead of attacking civilians that might just drop the morale of our army so low as to make entire units combat ineffective.

I'm hoping that I'm reading this wrong. Are you suggesting we adopt similar tactics?

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

manfredvonrichthofen

Only if it were done to us first, you know escalation of force. I only jest, it is merely a joke. I am just curious about the actions through history.

cap235629

why don't you just go back in the Army? You seem to really miss it.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

HGjunkie

Quote from: cap235629 on May 28, 2010, 01:56:37 AM
why don't you just go back in the Army? You seem to really miss it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Cecil DP

Quote from: robert.killion on May 27, 2010, 04:51:36 PM
The reason I say "Police Action" was that the history books call it a police action... or at least they did when I was a kid. I just din't want to offend anyone by calling it a war. But I guess the offense could go either way. I do still think it was a war.

I was just curious about anything that might have been really controversial that was sanctioned by the US Govt. Like inhumane torture of enemy soldiers.

This is one forum where using the leftist description of Vietnam is not apprecaiated. Korea was described  as a "Police Action" by the United Nations to justify commiting troops to stop the" illegal" invasion of the South by the North. Again PC BS.  Hint, If you're being shot at and wearing a uniform, IT's A WAR!! No matter what others may call it.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Pingree1492

Quote from: robert.killion on May 27, 2010, 06:22:36 PM
I know, Inglorious Basterds was totally fiction. That's what makes it so awesome. I personally love the tactic scare the livin [Filter Subversion] out of the hearts and minds of the enemy much more than winning them. I would use the tactic given the opportunity in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Soviets tried that approach in Afghanistan.  Look where it got them...
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

cap235629

QuoteQuote from: robert.killion on May 23, 2010, 11:13:51 PM

I am in the same CAP you are.

Robert why are you here? It seems that every post you initiate seems to irritate someone.  In my world we call that a troll.  By referencing the above quote I am pointing out to my fellow CAPTALKER's who ARE IN FACT members of the Civil Air Patrol, that according to the CAP member search, YOU ARE NOT a member.  If I am incorrect then prove me wrong.  In the mean time please keep you contentious opinions to yourself.  You knew very well what the reaction to words like "police action" would bring.  I personally find it offensive and disrespectful to the thousands of Vietnam and Korea Veterans.  You post a picture of the CIB on your signature.  If you truly earned this award, you have my respect but make sure that you respect those who earned it before you were born.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

manfredvonrichthofen

I only called it a police action because politically correct people want it called that. Me? N, I do not believe it was a police action. I know it was a war. When a soldier is shot at no matter when or where it happens at that moment it is war. I greatly respect those who came before me and gave all they could. I am very grateful for those who gave it all.

I really wish I were still in the Army, However I have one good eye and a good chunk of my mind (PTSD) to the Army. If I could I would be right back in. I have been to Iraq and Afghanistan and I loved every moment that I served. I loved the fact that I served my country and I like to think that I gave just a little back to those who gave before me.

Please don't read and assume that you know or understand me wholly. You don't, and most likely not even most people who really do know me will know it all. I say things like police action because I know that is how many would call it who are being "politically correct". I mean absolutely no offense. I just ask a question because I love history especially of our military.

manfredvonrichthofen