Accepted time for approvals

Started by swodog, December 21, 2023, 07:30:23 PM

swodog

I am going on week 5 to get my Lvl IV "serve on staff" approved, I don't think that's acceptable, the Wing commander approves all of those (I'm told) and is 5 weeks unacceptable?

SARDOC

There are multiple eServices designated positions that can approve that.  If the Wing Commander insists on doing it themselves, that's a different issue. 

Don't let it just hang out.  Friendly, reminder, to your Professional Development team and they should be able to validate that for you.

coudano

Paperwork blackholes happen.  Especially if it's sitting in a queue that nobody is looking at.  Or isn't sitting in a queue that it ought to be.

Back in the days CAP regs used to talk about keeping a log of incoming/outgoing actions, and suggested a 14 day max in queue.  Those things have been gone from print for years (decades?).

Personally I think they should come back.
When I have been a commander, I keep a google sheets worksheet, it logs what the item is, who it's from/for, when it came in, who i sent it to next (if applicable), when I sent or completed it, and whether the issues is closed or still open.   Helps me keep an eye on what's finished or still outstanding.  Helps me not lose things into the black hole.  Helps me reconstruct what's happened in the last year (or two or three).

When I forward something on up the chain, I usually give it a good solid 2 weeks, and if I haven't seen/heard anything on it, I start pinging for follow-up.

Some things are handled by committees that might only meet quarterly... (staff service for a pd level probably isn't one of those things)

Paul Creed III

WIWAC (when I was a commander), I logged into eServices every morning during breakfast to check for things needing approval. For me, not much is more demoralizing than to have put in the work for something, only to have the simple task of clicking a mouse delay it for days or weeks. Yes, some things need a committee which will, naturally, take longer but the stuff that doesn't - yeah, those get my mouse click within 24 hours.

I am not in command anymore, but I still log in to eServices every morning at breakfast.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Paul Creed III on December 23, 2023, 11:18:56 AMWIWAC (when I was a commander), I logged into eServices every morning during breakfast to check for things needing approval. For me, not much is more demoralizing than to have put in the work for something, only to have the simple task of clicking a mouse delay it for days or weeks. Yes, some things need a committee which will, naturally, take longer but the stuff that doesn't - yeah, those get my mouse click within 24 hours.

I am not in command anymore, but I still log in to eServices every morning at breakfast.

The number of commanders who don't log into eServices on a weekly basis is staggering.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 29, 2023, 03:53:23 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on December 23, 2023, 11:18:56 AMWIWAC (when I was a commander), I logged into eServices every morning during breakfast to check for things needing approval. For me, not much is more demoralizing than to have put in the work for something, only to have the simple task of clicking a mouse delay it for days or weeks. Yes, some things need a committee which will, naturally, take longer but the stuff that doesn't - yeah, those get my mouse click within 24 hours.

The number of commanders who don't log into eServices on a weekly basis is staggering.

And that is a tremendous disservice to the people they "lead."
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Stonewall

I log into eServices about 30 times a week.

When I became wing commander, I identified Thursdays as my "day off". It was a good thought.
Serving since 1987.