Main Menu

Web Address Icon.

Started by jimmydeanno, April 27, 2007, 07:54:02 PM

jimmydeanno

I'm not too brushed up on my internet terminology, but is there any future for a web address bar icon other than the default IE one? (If that's what it's called, the icon that sits next to the http://www.captalk.net)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

It's called a favicon, and I asked MIKE in his thread if we could have one, but he said it was beyond his realm of control.  We shall see.  I like them because I have all my favorite stuff up here below the address bar ^^^

MIKE

I've asked about adding a Favicon to the site, as have others.  They seem to work more frequently in IE7 anyway.

Quote from: JC004 on April 27, 2007, 08:14:33 PM
It's called a favicon, and I asked MIKE in his thread if we could have one, but he said it was beyond his realm of control.  We shall see.  I like them because I have all my favorite stuff up here below the address bar ^^^

I was told that this sort of thing is Jerry's AoR.  I'm just the Goon/Lackey.
Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: MIKE on April 27, 2007, 08:20:18 PM
I've asked about adding a Favicon to the site, as have others.  They seem to work more frequently in IE7 anyway.

Quote from: JC004 on April 27, 2007, 08:14:33 PM

I was told that this sort of thing is Jerry's AoR.  I'm just the Goon/Lackey.

We're having a civil discussion and you have to bring something nasty like IE7 into this?!   >:D

MIKE

Quote from: JC004 on April 27, 2007, 10:11:35 PM
We're having a civil discussion and you have to bring something nasty like IE7 into this?!   >:D

Hey... Firefox looks like crap on my 17" widescreen... And good and bad, it doesn't have the features of IE7.
Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: MIKE on April 27, 2007, 10:19:48 PM
Quote from: JC004 on April 27, 2007, 10:11:35 PM

Hey... Firefox looks like crap on my 17" widescreen... And good and bad, it doesn't have the features of IE7.

Lies.   :-*   :angel:

whatevah

I uploaded a favicon a few minutes ago (thanks, LTC_Gadget!)...   I guess we'll see if it shows up.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

JC004

Quote from: whatevah on April 27, 2007, 10:57:03 PM
I uploaded a favicon a few minutes ago (thanks, LTC_Gadget!)...   I guess we'll see if it shows up.

I see it.  Cool.  Might make the airplane fill more of the square, if possible.  It's pretty hard to distinguish.

MIKE

Working with Firefox, but not with IE7.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on April 27, 2007, 11:34:57 PM

No dice in Safari.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cmdbuddy

Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on April 28, 2007, 12:19:21 AM
Quote from: Pylon on April 27, 2007, 11:37:47 PM
Quote from: MIKE on April 27, 2007, 11:34:57 PM

No dice in Safari.

Working in my Safari

More specifically, then I guess... not working in my Safari 1.3.2 running on Mac OS 10.3.9   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: Pylon on April 28, 2007, 12:32:19 AM
More specifically, then I guess... not working in my Safari 1.3.2 running on Mac OS 10.3.9   ;D

Sounds like somebody needs some updates.  It works in my Safari 2.0.4 and Mac OS 10.4.9 :-)
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

MIKE

Now it appears to be working in IE7.
Mike Johnston

whatevah

it's probably just related to cache settings on your browsers...  all browsers should start showing it soon, dunno about the early Safari browsers, but they should, too.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

MIKE

I just cleared my cache, so that might be it.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

Nice work...if I were a girl I might call it "cute."  ;D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

pixelwonk

JC004

Quote from: tedda on April 30, 2007, 02:10:07 PM
hey, it's a mosquito!

Funny, I've been thinking that for years... ;)

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: tedda on April 30, 2007, 02:10:07 PM
hey, it's a mosquito!

Nope, it's just the left-hand, postage-stamp shaped/sized area off of the banner. 

I'm not a Photoshop expert, as you are, obviously.  I've wanted to learn it, but never had the time to get there; too many things on the 'to do' list and no twenty-eight hour days in which to do them, yaknow...

Someone in another thread indicated that they'd like a favicon.  'Mike' said that he'd mentioned it, and it was on the 'to do' list.  I got curious, and googled a way to whip one out quickly, and just used the first obvious, recognizable object from the board that I could get my hands on. 

I used 'GIMP' in Linux, as all my boxes run Linux, to cut out and paint the square area that I used. I painted the 'swoop' portion of the background, removing the two letters that fell in the square.

I'd found a source on-line that let me upload that image, which it turned into a favicon, put it in a pkg, and downloaded it to me.  I then emailed that pkg to 'Whatevah' to upload for the board.  I've now spent more time in GIMP for that one project than I'd ever spent in any graphics program for anything else, ever. So, I learned something, which is a good thing,  I even tried to stack the 'CAP' and 'Talk' portions of the banner, to make another square icon, to process the same way, for 'Whatevah' to use as an alternate favicon, if he wanted to, until and unless he or his web guy had time to do something different or better.  But I ran out of patience, *and* got called in to work this weekend, so it didn't happen.  *That* was taking a little longer to figure out.

If you, or anyone else wants to submit a possible alternative, I'll be that 'whatevah' would be willing to look at it, as he did mine, which was totally unsolicited.  If yours is better/flashier, or more appealing to him, he'll probably use that one.  Since you know PhotoShop like the back of your hand, you can probably whip up something of higher quality in the same amount of time it took me to stumble through my simple effort.  Y'all give it a whirl, and someone can probably come up with something that most folks like...

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.