Mission Scanner

Started by hatentx, August 02, 2008, 11:26:18 PM

hatentx

So I was told I was going to be able to go through the mission scanner course in a few weeks and was also told not to be upset if I dont pass the first time that is was more Pilot stuff and not easy if you dont know this stuff already.  Well I took it as a challenge and now WILL GET A FIRST TIME GO but need some help.  I have looked over the material briefly and well am just wondering what those of you that are mission scanners could help me and let me know the Cliff notes version of the course and that way I can prove my commander wrong.  I have some aviation experience from the military and the maintenance side and avionics stuff but what is it that I really need to know?

Frenchie

Read this if you haven't already.  The course should be based on it.

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/es/training/mission_scanner.ppt

hatentx

Okay so that is what I was reading.  I was just wondering if there was a shorter version or something else I could or would need ro look at.  How difficult is this really.  Is it something that I would be able to master in a weekend or do I really need to hit the books now to get a good handle on it.

Frenchie

It depends on how much knowledge you have already.  As a pilot, all the MS stuff was pretty simple for me, but if you're starting both as a crewmember and a CAP member with practically zero knowledge, you're going to have a lot to learn.

At a minimum you need to know your way around the aircraft.  You need to be able to read a sectional and mark up a grid.  You need to know what all the search patterns are.  You need to know some of the mission forms, especially the 104.  You need to know scanning techniques and limitations.  Memorizing the phonetic alphabet and knowing how to talk on the CAP radio would be a big plus as sometimes the MS sits up front on a two member crew.  Most of our planes have the capability of using the CAP radio in the back, but this is rarely used in practice at least in my experience.

As far as how difficult it is, it really depends on the expectations of your squadron.  Some treat the MS as ballast, so it wouldn't be difficult at all.  Some expect the MS to perform MS functions.  If that's the case, you have a lot to learn.

scooter

Sit down with a pilot and go over the syllabus for things you don't understand one on one. Most pilots will be glad to help you for food! ;)

Flying Pig

I have found the foot long Chicken Bacon Ranch from Subway to be an excellent motivator.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 05, 2008, 09:39:53 PM
I have found the foot long Chicken Bacon Ranch from Subway to be an excellent motivator.

$5.00 is cheap for some mentoring time!!!!
What's up monkeys?

JC004

ew.  death to subway.

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on August 06, 2008, 01:40:17 AM

ew.  death to subway.

NO!  How dare you.  Subway is far superior to your WAWA  www.wawa.com

What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

Hey. for 5 dollar subway, I'll teach you how to fly the thing.....

Mustang

The Mission Aircrew Reference Text will prove the most useful to you as you educate yourself on your duties as a scanner.

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/es/reference_texts/MART.pdf
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

mikeylikey

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 06, 2008, 05:10:59 AM
Hey. for 5 dollar subway, I'll teach you how to fly the thing.....

The sub or the plane??
What's up monkeys?

Mustang

Quote from: Mustang on August 06, 2008, 06:16:18 AM
The Mission Aircrew Reference Text will prove the most useful to you as you educate yourself on your duties as a scanner.

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/es/reference_texts/MART.pdf

Correct link to the current MART:

http://nesa.cap.gov/curriculum_material/MART%20Rev%201%20Feb08.pdf
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

CadetProgramGuy