MERITORIOUS SERVICE/COMMENDATION AWARD FOR AN O PILOT

Started by OH6 PILOT, June 26, 2019, 07:10:17 PM

OH6 PILOT

I am trying to do a 120 for the O pilot who flies for our squadron. He has been the coordinator for our Group for about 5 years and has been flying O flights for about 10 years.  He is the only pilot who will fly for any squadron in our Group. In my opinion he qualifies for a Meritorious Service Award. If there is anyone out there who has done either award for an O pilot, I would like to hear from you.

[Edited at OP's request.]

baronet68

Not an impossible task. The justification will need to paint a clear picture to show that his "achievements and services are clearly outstanding and unmistakably exceptional when compared to similar achievements and accomplishments of personnel of like rank and responsibilities".

If you haven't already seen it, this guide should prove quite helpful in your award writing adventures.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

MSG Mac

when writing the citation. Put in the number of cadets he has flown, how long he's been doing the O flights and coordinating the group flights. Something along the lines of "

Captain Marvel has served as the Group Orientation Flight coordinator from Jan 1, 2014 through July 1, 2019. During this time he has been responsible for over 500 cadets receiving Aerospace Education and an introduction to flight through these flights. Of these 500 cadets, 250 have been personally conducted by Captain marvel. "  Of course you'll have to make more statements about it
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

This is well below the scope of an MSA, which should have a "Region-level" impact.

A Group O-ride pilot / coordinator would not meet that criteria.

"achievements and services which are clearly outstanding and unmistakably exceptional"

You would need to show that he has regularly flown and / or coordinated flights for cadets all over the Wing or region
and in excess of his peers, his peers being other o-ride pilots in the wing.

I would say this is an Achievement or a Comm Comm at best.

It sounds like he is doing what is expected of an O-ride pilot and coordinator - being the "only one"
isn't in and of itself worthy of decoration.

Has he been receiving O-Flight Ribbons?  If so, how many?  Those number could potentially help justify
the decoration, whatever level it comes in as.

Also, without putting too fine a point on it, an entire Group with only 1 O-ride pilot is a serious command failing
at both the units and the Group that needs to be corrected.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2019, 08:45:30 PM

Also, without putting too fine a point on it, an entire Group with only 1 O-ride pilot is a serious command failing
at both the units and the Group that needs to be corrected.

I noticed how the OP worded it... "the only pilot who will fly".  (My emphasis)

Sounds like there is a story here and some pilots that need some motivation.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

baronet68

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2019, 08:45:30 PM
This is well below the scope of an MSA, which should have a "Region-level" impact.

Hopefully our members aren't truly being held to a "Region-level impact" criteria for receiving the Meritorious Service Award?

Unlike the Distinguished Service Medal and Exceptional Service Award, which do have recommended command level scales of impact, there is no such scale of impact required for the Meritorious Service Award. 

Quote from: Meritorious Service AwardAwarded for outstanding achievement or meritorious service rendered specifically on behalf of CAP. Superior performance of normal duties does not, in itself, constitute automatic justification for the Meritorious Service Award. This award recognizes achievements and services which are clearly outstanding and unmistakably exceptional when compared to similar achievements and accomplishments of personnel of like rank and responsibilities.

Quote from: Exceptional Service AwardAwarded for exceptionally outstanding service to CAP in a duty of great responsibility while serving in any capacity with CAP. However, the duty should carry the ultimate responsibility for the successful operation of a region, wing, or major project within the region or wing.

Quote from: Distinguished Service MedalAwarded for conspicuous performance of outstanding service in a duty of great responsibility where the position held and results obtained reflect upon the accomplishments and prestige of CAP on a national scale.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

The MSA requires Region approval.  If what you are doing doesn't have that level of
impact, it is very unlikely it will be approved.

That is the reality, regardless of the wording, and generally the understanding.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Get a few friends together and take him out for a steak dinner.  He might would appreciate the thought and camaraderie more than a certificate.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on June 26, 2019, 10:09:34 PM
Get a few friends together and take him out for a steak dinner.  He might would appreciate the thought and camaraderie more than a certificate.

But you don't know, so stop guessing.

The fact that somebody wants to take the time and effort to put him in for a MSA speaks pretty highly of him.

Eclipse

Also, awards are not done on hardcopy 120's anymore, they need to be submitted through eServices.

Personnel > Awards Recommendation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Vegas1972

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2019, 11:07:35 PM
Also, awards are not done on hardcopy 120's anymore, they need to be submitted through eServices.

Which is still a CAP Form 120, no?   At least it says that on my eServices....
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Vegas1972 on June 26, 2019, 11:19:20 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2019, 11:07:35 PM

Which is still a CAP Form 120, no?   At least it says that on my eServices....

It's an equivalent.

SarDragon

Document what he's done, do a good write-up, and send up the MSA. They can say no or forward it. If they say no, they should tell you why and suggest a possible alternative. "It is easier to ask forgiveness than get permission."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: SarDragon on June 26, 2019, 11:55:50 PM
Document what he's done, do a good write-up, and send up the MSA. They can say no or forward it. If they say no, they should tell you why and suggest a possible alternative. "It is easier to ask forgiveness than get permission."

To echo this, you won't know until you submit it.

You can always ping your Wing Personnel staff as well just to ask for their opinion.

OH6 PILOT

Gentlemen (and Ladies if you also responded),

My thanks for your advice I truly appreciate it.

We have 13 qualified O pilots in our Group.  Only 1 will fly for any unit in the Group on any weekend. The rest either have weekend jobs, only want to fly in their area, or other reasons not to fly. Until very recently we had never had, to my knowledge, another pilot other than the one I have in mind for an MSA fly for our unit. Because I put my real name on this thread I will not comment on the higher HQ issues Eclipse wisely referred to.   

I neglected to mention if anyone has knowledge of how to get into old WMIRS records for the 2014-18 time frame I would appreciate it.

You guys are correct the 120 is now on eservices.  However my plan is to do it on the old PDF as well as I can and then copy and paste it into the eservices form. 

For your interest/humor I spent a few hours this pm trolling the net for MSA/Comm Comm award recipients. I found multiple Comm Comm awards for short term events not spanning several years. I just heard at our unit meeting this week that the Cadet Company Commanders at encampment are all going to get Wing Comm Comms. In my judgement, for what little it will probably be worth, the O pilot has served CAP well above the normal level and deserves recognition beyond Wing level and beyond the Comm Comm/AA level based on the research I have done. I realize from 39-3 it is a long shot but the O pilot involved deserves it.  As for FY 2019, WMIRS is strong ammo to support my argument. So is the fact both our members and their parents love him for his willingness to help us, his professionalism and safety habits, and his flying ability (the runway at the airport we use is not exactly B52 capable).   

Thanks again, you all confirmed my guesses on how to proceed, and thanks to all of you for your service to this site and CAP (As the call sign suggests I am fairly new to CAP--16 months) 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Your wing DOS or DO can pull older WMIRS records.

Has he been getting oride ribbons? That's 50 a clip.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Quote from: OH6 PILOT on June 27, 2019, 12:57:32 AM
(As the call sign suggests I am fairly new to CAP--16 months)

Welcome and welcome, OH6 guy.
Love me some little birds (Bro in law lost six Loaches in Nam, and I've been supporting the Regiment for years).

NSDQ,
Spam

PS, you gotta transition, pal... "Squadrons" not "Companies", ha ha!  ;D

Fester

Only ONE O-ride pilot in a Group will fly for every Squadron in the group?  Sounds to me like HHQ needs to start having some conversations with O-ride pilots.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2019, 10:03:47 PM
The MSA requires Region approval.  If what you are doing doesn't have that level of
impact, it is very unlikely it will be approved.

That is the reality, regardless of the wording, and generally the understanding.

That may (or may not) be the standard in your Wing or Region, but that doesn't make it the standard for everybody else. Neither does it alter the words that describe the scope. All Region CC is doing is approving the award, and should not be asking "Yeah, but what did he do for ME?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.