DRAFT 60-3 posted for comments

Started by arajca, January 29, 2008, 07:57:01 PM

arajca

CAPR 60-3 DRAFT

Quote1-31. National Incident Management System (NIMS) Compliance. CAP is committed to
being NIMS compliant like all other response agencies across the United States. CAP's
nationwide goal is to be NIMS compliant by 30 September 2008. In order to do so all
emergency services personnel must complete current and future NIMS requirements as they are
published by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Personnel will be expected to
complete certain training from DHS by 30 September 2008 in order remain current and qualified.
Training requirements by specialty qualification are outlined in Attachment 2. More information
is provided in Chapter 2 of this regulation.

Six months to accomplish what the EM/ES community has take three years to do? If they are serious about this, many of the SQTR's will need to be rewritten.

Pylon

I assume there is a transition plan behind this mandate?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Well, at least ICS-700 is easy. (God I have too much time on my hands)

BigMojo

So are 100, 200 and 800.

300 and 400 I believe are in-person classes (ie can't be done online) if I heard correctly.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

arajca

Quote from: Pylon on January 29, 2008, 07:58:14 PM
I assume there is a transition plan behind this mandate?
One would hope so...

Quote from: BigMojo on January 29, 2008, 09:43:35 PM
So are 100, 200 and 800.

300 and 400 I believe are in-person classes (ie can't be done online) if I heard correctly.
You heard correctly, although the online IS-200 course is really inadequate. I taught an ICS 300 course and wasted half a day "refreshing" those who took the online IS-200 instead of the residence ICS 200 course.

SoCalCAPOfficer

Im glad I went ahead and did 100, 200, 700 and 800 already.  Now even Mission Pilots and Observers need to have these four.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

♠SARKID♠

arajca

On another note, the "Agency Liasion" is going away.

CERT is being added as a qualification.

I think they realized that the CAPT 116, Part 2, isn't valid outside of CAP and decided that we should use the same course as everyone else. Why does that sound familiar?

More thoughts later...

Pace

Quote(2) Team training and experience must be appropriate for the mission (proficiency in
DF use, ground rescue knowledge, concentrated area search procedures, missing person search,
etc.). Ground Team Members – Level 1 should be prepared to conduct all facets of ground team
operations for at least 72 hours. Ground Team Members – Level 2 should be prepared to
conduct limited ground team operations for up to 48 hours. Ground Team Members – Level 3
should be prepared to conduct basic ground team operations for up to 24 hours.
I really wish NHQ would define "limited" and "basic" ground team operations.
Lt Col, CAP

isuhawkeye

floridacyclist

Quote from: arajca on January 29, 2008, 07:57:01 PM
Six months to accomplish what the EM/ES community has take three years to do? If they are serious about this, many of the SQTR's will need to be rewritten.

We've had the same amount of time as everyone else. Just because some of our folks chose to ignore the handwriting on the wall does not mean that anyone had any less time to get ready for this.

As for the SQTRs, maybe not re-written, but they will definitely need a line or two added to reflect the needed ICS course for each.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

RiverAux

Quick thoughts ---

1.  Interesting that they are sort of encouraging IC trainees to be put on alert rosters used by NOC/AFRCC.   Are we that hard up for someone to pick up the phone?

2.  "Wing Director of Emergency Services/Emergency Services Officer".  This "Director" stuff bugs me as I don't see any real consistent rationale for who is a "Director" and who is an "Officer".

3.  1-7 requires IC and IOs to coordinate with agencies on press releases, including AFRCC.  Is the AFRCC duty officer going to be authorized to "coordinate" on releases or is it going to have to go through their public affairs shop (if they have one)?  I see this being a major complication, though I understand it. 

4.  1-9e would allow seniors in a subordinate status to a more highly qualified cadet (senior GTM under a cadet GTL) to stage a coup for safety reasons. 

5.  Large incidents will require a written action plan now. Typical for ICS, but new for CAP (in reality, in my experience).  This will be a challenge for some. 

6. 1-22f has new guidance on medical care provided by CAP during missions

7. 1-23b says that if CAP is working a SAR with another agency and CAP recommends to suspend the mission, if the other agency wants to keep searching, we will -- at least thats how I read it. 

8. New guidance for the secret squirrels on classified missions -- 1-32 & 1-33 & 1-34

9.  Is CAP setting up a separate system for certifying instructors for the ICS classes?  Sort of seems like they're saying they must meet DHS standards, but doesn't say they must be certified by DHS or the state.  A little unclear. 

10.  All the specialty requirements are now referred to eservices SQTRs and actually aren't in the regulation itself. 

11.  CAP is getting access to the Government Emergency Telecommunication Service system.  Never heard of it. 

12.  Don't see VSAF specifically mentioned in the list of AFAMs in 5-3. 

floridacyclist

I saw that about the instructor thing....have they heard of the E/I-449 classes, ICS Train-The-Trainer? Seems like that would be a big one to list.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

smj58501

Quote from: RiverAux on January 30, 2008, 04:23:08 AM
11.  CAP is getting access to the Government Emergency Telecommunication Service system.  Never heard of it. 

In a nutshell, GETS participants "get" priority on the telecommunications system. You are issued a card with a number to dial in to and a passcode of sorts. This moves your call to the front of the line. Often in disasters the telecommunications circuits can be overwealmed. The GETS system helps ensure your call can successfully compete with all the "normal" commercial traffic.

This in general is how it works. Some specifics may have changed since I worked with the system several years ago when I was employed by our state's DEM
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

IceNine

Quote from: RiverAux on January 30, 2008, 04:23:08 AM

2.  "Wing Director of Emergency Services/Emergency Services Officer".  This "Director" stuff bugs me as I don't see any real consistent rationale for who is a "Director" and who is an "Officer".

In this specific instance wings that have ES reporting to Ops are "officers". 

Wings that have chosen to seperate the 2 are Directors...

Ref 20-1
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

And we were getting GETS access shortly after Katrina.

Corporate Officers and 1 additional card per wing was the original "deal
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

isuhawkeye

I am putting on an ICS 300 class feb 23rd and 24th

Iowa wing had three ICS instructors who could teach 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, 800.

If you need a class, and your in the vicinity of Iowa maybe I could help.

floridacyclist

We have a 3-level class coming up the first weekend in Mar (tentatively...still waiting for final approval from the Fire College) at the Florida Fire College. One class will be a combined ICS100, 200, and 700 with testing in the computer lab and an 800 orientation class (no time for testing), Class 2 will be ICS300, and Class 3 will be ICS400. We plan to start Fri night so that we can wrap up early on Sunday for a tabletop exercise of the Minneapolis bridge collapse. All classes are being taught by professional ICS/Emergency Management instructors (except for the 100/200/700 which is being taught by me) who have donated their time to help us with this project.

This will be our second 300 class that we have taught and they have been very well-received; the last one was covered in Volunteer Magazine. Adding the 400 class on should help with the IC situation especially with the new requirements.

Asking EM for volunteers to teach a weekend class might give you the instructors you need and lets anyone with decent organization skills put one of these classes together. Opening the class to other volunteers not only makes us look good but improves the class as the different disciplines mix it up especially if you plan a Sat night social (we had a BBQ) to go along with it.

You can read more about our ICS training at http://www.tallahasseecap.org/ICS - I'm updating that with info on the tentatively-scheduled class as soon as I have confirmation on the dates.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

CAPSGT

I've already started adapting to some of these changes, as MER recently put them in their new supplement to 60-3.  ICS courses with a very similar course requirements chart was already in that supplement, and with the same deadline.

A couple things I don't like at first glance in this draft:

1)  It does not clearly define what the difference is between Ground Teams, UDF Teams, and CERT Teams.  I cannot find anything that restricts a UDF team or a CERT team from doing anything that a Level 1 Ground Team does.

2)  It closed a loophole in getting supplements approved that allowed units to bypass an echelon if no action (yeah, nay, or even "I need more time") was taken on the supplement after a set period of time.  I've seen that loophole become a necessity.

A couple things I do like at first glance:

1)  Getting rid of AL as a separate rating independent of IC, but with the same training requirements, just 2 additional missions.

2)  Clarifying the training requirements for first aid.

--
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer, Bethesda-Chevy Chase Composite Squadron
Incident Commander
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

isuhawkeye

overall this draft is great for cap.

question.

as I read the requirments to teach the ICS courses I see no requirment to attend the established TTT for these courses.  Is that how you read it?