CAP Aircraft Searching for Steve Fossett

Started by _, September 04, 2007, 05:45:22 PM

BlackKnight

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on September 05, 2007, 10:29:42 PM
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123066968

If I'm reading this correctly, apparently even the USAF information officers make boo-boos.  From the above referenced article:

"...using the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center located in the 601st Combined Air and Space operations Center at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla."

Hmmm, I always thought AFRCC was at Langley VA.  And sure enough it is, according the the AFRCC fact sheet accompanying the above article:

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=193
"The AFRCC operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The center, located at Langley Air Force Base, Va., ..."
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

_

They moved to Florida a couple months back just haven't updated everything.

Eclipse

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 05, 2007, 09:39:58 PM
Quote from: tedda on September 05, 2007, 09:38:53 PM
Branson indicated he does still have it.

I am inexperienced in SAR's but that tells me a few things...

I don't think we should read too much into that - they have to be activated manually, assuming they survive a crash, and they are not SARSAT compatible - too low power.  They are really only useful when you have a good idea where someone is.

Frankly, as much as I would like to be in the soup with these guys, I don't envy their task.  Just as after 911, the eyes of the world are being thrust upon an organization most people had never heard of until yesterday.

And as the clock ticks, the likelyhood of a positive outcome diminishes.

The spot we all find ourselves in is the what I refer to as the "Fireman's Dilemma" - you train for years to be the best at what you do, and the only chance you get to prove yourself requires someone else's pain or tragedy.

I am still hopeful that Mr. Fossett is given the opportunity to pay for the plane in person.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: BlackKnight on September 05, 2007, 11:14:35 PM
Quote from: Bayhawk21 on September 05, 2007, 10:29:42 PM
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123066968

If I'm reading this correctly, apparently even the USAF information officers make boo-boos.  From the above referenced article:

"...using the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center located in the 601st Combined Air and Space operations Center at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla."

Hmmm, I always thought AFRCC was at Langley VA.  And sure enough it is, according the the AFRCC fact sheet accompanying the above article:

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=193
"The AFRCC operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The center, located at Langley Air Force Base, Va., ..."

Langley AFB built a nice brand new building for the AFRCC in the new "Ryan Center" that serves dual purpose an 'admin' type building for the new operations that are moving to Langley.  It is a really nice building with granite window sills and even smells new.

However, AFRCCs life there was short lived and they recently moved to Tyndall.  It takes a little while to clean up all the trails left everywhere.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

sardak

AFRCC completed the move to Tyndall in the spring.  They are located in the new Air and Space Operations Center which was formally opened on June 1.  Here is a link to the opening ceremonies with pictures.  The RCC controllers are located in a couple of rows near the front.

http://www.1af.acc.af.mil/media/archive/story.asp?id=123055686&page=1

Mike

flyguy06

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on September 05, 2007, 11:16:54 PM
They moved to Florida a couple months back just haven't updated everything.

I know that for a fact. I am a nalert officer and I got a cal lone morning at 3 am with an 850 area code. It was AFRCC. It was my first time and I didnt know what to expect

Al Sayre

I can confirm they are at Tyndall, I'm sitting in my office looking at the We're moving letter they sent dated 26 Feb 2007, and as an IC I talk to them 2-3 times a month...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

CASH172

_

I think it's just FLIR.  When they interview the aircrew member you can see what looks like a FLIR camera under the nose.

CASH172

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 05, 2007, 08:46:14 PM
I like how yesterday a reporter questioned the AF Captain, "Captain has the AF taken over operations, and are you putting all of the AF assets into the air?".  The Captain responded "Your Civil Air Patrol, the Air Force Auxiliary, Responsible for almost all of the inland Search and Rescue in the United States, has taken command of the operation, the military has full confidence in CAP, and other agencies are cooperting with CAP's lead".  Reporter then says "is CAP a new Air Force project..........

What was the Captain's response, considering CAP is older than the USAF.

NIN

One of my officers scanned this, his wife just got back from Burning Man and had snagged a local paper on the way home...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

flyguy06

So, is Civil Air Patrol the lead agency on this mission? Wow. If thats true, i think thats great.  I would love to see a copy of that tape

Flying Pig

I spent 7 hours flying over the Ownes Valley yesterday on that search.  I can tell you....Its a CAP Operation 100%.  The ANG is assisting, but the Bishop base is all CAP.  There were probably 10-15 CAP planes.

The C-130 is using the FLIR STAR Q or the Brite Star.  Its just a more expensive FLIR. 

bosshawk

Rob: good on ya!!!  The official tally this AM was 18 CAP aircraft at Bishop yesterday, 29 sorties, 68 hours of search.  The effort today is likely to be even larger and more so over the weekend.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JohnKachenmeister

California Wing has 2 F/A-18's, if you believe the news media.

I'm just glad that Ryan is finally in a current uniform.  Today she was wearing the "US Air Force Aux" Command Patch (Not the new TP one) and she lost the loopy earrings.
Another former CAP officer

Nomex Maximus

cnn.com's article as of a few minutes ago was actually reasonably intelligent. Sounds like the CAP PAO is explaining some SAR basics to the news people.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Pylon

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 06, 2007, 05:25:06 PM

I hope they're the 2-seater Super Hornets!  I totally want to fly Observer in one of those babies!   :o ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on September 06, 2007, 06:24:56 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 06, 2007, 05:25:06 PM

I hope they're the 2-seater Super Hornets!  I totally want to fly Observer in one of those babies!   :o ;D

"Time to test our shiny new digital camera" - Owen Wilson
Mike Johnston

flyerthom

They're adding crews.  I'm on in the am. Thoughts, vibes, prayers, whatever please.
TC