Pathfinders Technical School in Missouri

Started by bassque, September 03, 2011, 11:05:14 PM

bassque

Does anyone know if this is still offered?  Can't find much information about it online.  Fantastic ES school that I attended as a Cadet in the early 90's.  Has it been rolled up into NESA?

Jeff

coudano

Has not been offered since the early 90's
the folks who did it are still around, however

it is not really rolled into NESA at all, but NESA certainly pulls much of the same audience

GroundHawg

I went twice, and was on staff the second year. Great training, I still have both my binders with good material that is relevant even today. I had a great time and still keep in touch with people I met there. What year did you attend?

bassque

1993.  I remember in the Wing (not sure if it was recognized or not nationally) but we made a pretty big deal out of the cadets who have attended the training.  Orange shoulder cords, Pathfinders patch etc.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything in regards to the paperwork or actual training material but I do remember it helped quite a bit in getting some of us cadets ground team rated and leader qualified.  Fun times.

GroundHawg

I went in 1993 and still have the paperwork and roster. I will send to you if you need it.

SAR Officer

If possible could you send me information on this subject as well.
richard.fugate@ohwg.cap.gov
Richard Fugate, CAPT. CAP
Commander - SAR Officer
288th Pathfinders Squadron
Middletown, Ohio

Sapper168

Quote from: Pathfinders on September 08, 2011, 01:33:36 PM

I would be interested in recieving the curriculum and what not.  es_ground_pounder@yahoo.com

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on September 08, 2011, 05:27:45 PM

I would be interested in recieving the curriculum and what not.  es_ground_pounder@yahoo.com

Why? NHQ and NESA have already put out stuff that is significantly newer than anything used at Pathfinder.

Sapper168

I think it would be interesting to see how programs have evolved over the years.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

ol'fido

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 08, 2011, 10:26:48 PM
Quote from: Ground_Pounder on September 08, 2011, 05:27:45 PM

Why? NHQ and NESA have already put out stuff that is significantly newer than anything used at Pathfinder.
Newer don't always mean better.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

coudano

Quote from: ol'fido on September 09, 2011, 12:07:40 AM
Newer don't always mean better.

Eh in this case it does.

The current ES training and operations regime (even with its warts) is light years superior to what was in place prior.

ol'fido

Not from my point of view. Some things are and some aren't.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

GroundHawg

Only if you agree to come to one of our squadron SAREX's...

bassque

SAR Officer

I read the replies....I still would like to get a link or additional materials on this school....I can search it again and see what comes up....If I find anything out do any of you want the information.....Or if you get it please send it to me.....Thanks
Richard Fugate, CAPT. CAP
Commander - SAR Officer
288th Pathfinders Squadron
Middletown, Ohio

GroundHawg

Im glad you bumped this post... This totally slipped my mind. :-\

Johnny Yuma

Was this the activity at Leonard Wood they pulled the plug on after a cadet died in training back in 92 or 93? I remember something about the kid had a known medical condition that the parents lied about on the application so he could attend, but I heard about it second and third hand, I'd left CAP about 5 months before it happened.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

GroundHawg

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on January 06, 2012, 08:56:11 PM
Was this the activity at Leonard Wood they pulled the plug on after a cadet died in training back in 92 or 93? I remember something about the kid had a known medical condition that the parents lied about on the application so he could attend, but I heard about it second and third hand, I'd left CAP about 5 months before it happened.

It was and I was there with that guy. Im pretty sure that was in 93. He didnt pass away at Pathfinder, but a few days afterwards. I have never heard that the course was cancelled due to this reason, though it wouldnt shock me if thats why. I found out from one of our Senior Members via postcard, strange that I remember that.

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 07, 2012, 01:24:26 AM

It was and I was there with that guy. Im pretty sure that was in 93. He didnt pass away at Pathfinder, but a few days afterwards. I have never heard that the course was cancelled due to this reason, though it wouldnt shock me if thats why. I found out from one of our Senior Members via postcard, strange that I remember that.

I was really hoping I was wrong.

The Lawsons I think are still members in the Sedalia Cadet Squadron, IIRC they ran the school. You can probably contact them through the unit's Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Civil-Air-Patrol-Sedalia-Cadet-Squadron/280077599358?sk=info

They have some photos posted of the old school in their photo album.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

GroundHawg

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on January 10, 2012, 01:33:17 AM
Quote from: GroundHawg on January 07, 2012, 01:24:26 AM

I was really hoping I was wrong.

The Lawsons I think are still members in the Sedalia Cadet Squadron, IIRC they ran the school. You can probably contact them through the unit's Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Civil-Air-Patrol-Sedalia-Cadet-Squadron/280077599358?sk=info

They have some photos posted of the old school in their photo album.

Holy Crap! There is a photo of me from 1992 in there, and the guy who drove me there as well. Small world!

cpyahoo

This is some GREAT stuff!!!  I've been trying to compile some history on some of the more notable ranger-type programs that existed in CAP.  Love the pics on the facebook page.  had to laugh when I saw the cadet wearing the orange beret.  Always heard one was authorized from 1986-1989 in CAP uniform regs, but never actually saw someone WEARING one!  LOL  Reminds me of my Blue Beret days from 1986-1989...

cpyahoo

There was a rumor going around at Blue Beret in 1986 or 1987 that a cadet was killed by a lightning strike at Pathfinder Technical School.  Any validity to that story?

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: cpyahoo on January 19, 2012, 12:37:20 AM
There was a rumor going around at Blue Beret in 1986 or 1987 that a cadet was killed by a lightning strike at Pathfinder Technical School.  Any validity to that story?

I joined as a cadet in Nov 86, I don't remember but I was in KSWG at the time.

" Skip a bit, brother."