Ground team sponsorships

Started by bandog5, December 20, 2010, 10:12:56 PM

bandog5

I have been considering trying to get some gear sponsorships for my ground team, I am just not sure of how to go about it.  has anyone had any luck with this and if so, what would you say is the best way to go about it?

SABRE17

have a unit wide shake-a-can drive and the proceeds benefit your team, or unit / team 50/50

shake-a-can: have members stand outside of grocery stores in uniform say who they are, and ask for $ or just say merry Christmas

Larry Mangum

Please remember that ALL fund raisers must be approved by the wing king or queen, before they happen.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

jeders

And Seniors cannot wear the AF-style uniform while doing it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

commando1

Are you wanting a certain type of gear? (i.e ALICE packs, MOLLE vests etc) or just money to get GT gear with? My local military surplus store gives me a military discount through CAP. The owner has had good experience with my unit and gives us usually about 5-10% off. You could try that. Or go to Bass Pro or something and see if they would donate 10 backpacks or something similer. Just my 2 cents.  8)
Non Timebo Mala

Eclipse

Target tends to be very good about providing gift cards or merchandise when a good plan is presented, again, all the rules about accepting property and donations apply.

"That Others May Zoom"

bandog5

i was mostly talking about gear sponsorships from the companies that make them, but the money ideas sound good too....thanks for the feedback

manfredvonrichthofen

I have been thinking the same thing, I am going to submit the idea through my CO and see about going to group and wing to get ideas and approval.

MSgt Van

I can hear it now... {radio static} Uh, Mission Base, this is Pepsi Three reporting ...
;D

CAP Producer

Sonsorships are very tricky. I do not encourage local units or members to seek these out because of the legal issues and the probability of both sides misunderstanding expectations. They can get very messy very quicky. Fol local units targeted fundraising/donations is the way to go.

Here are some tips, in no particular order.

1. Determine your units needs, not the needs of a "ground team." Ground teams are at best ad-hoc groupings of members. Units (with permission of wing) may raise funds or seek out donations. Not individual members or ad-hoc teams. The commander and Finance Committee must agree.

2. Reach out to local businesses, friends of CAP such as FBO's, current members, family members and let them know about the needs of the unit and what the gear will be used for. Remember to never refer to the unit as part of the USAF Auxiliary but as the ____ Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol. Local governments/businesses may have surplus gear they would be willing to donate.

3. Start with your best foot forward. Your cadets. If you are fundraising for your unit and its cadet program you stand a better chance of success. Many units use their Color Guards as a marketing tool. Lots of groups will donate to the local unit after a great Color Guard presentation.

4. Prioritize and plan. You will not get everything at once. Most of your donations will be small. Fundraising is a long term process. Be patient and be steady in your work and you will reach your goal.

5. Follow all CAP Regualtions, Wing Policies and work with your local commander.

6. Say thank you. If the VFW donates money for 3 cadets to attend encampment then have the cadets who attended come back to the VFW and tell them about their experiences. This not only shows the VFW that thier dollars are being well spent but it lays the ground work for next year.  ;D

As an aside, it is always easier to fundraise for a unit if it is known in the community. The unit becomes known with a good PA Program (Regular press releases, community service, speakers bureau, great website, etc...)

Good Luck!
AL PABON, Major, CAP

CAP Marine

Depending upon the other priorities of your unit, you could also approach your squadron finance committee and request that a certain percentage or even all of the donations your squadron receives from Wreaths Across America be used to outfit your ground teams with gear. It is never too early to start and with a solid drive your squadron could raise some pretty serious cash. Just food for thought.