Cadet Logistics Officer @ encampment

Started by CAPC/officer125, August 18, 2009, 02:56:40 AM

CAPC/officer125

I have been selected as the Logistics OIC at the 2009 KSWG Winter Encampment. Now, I have never done this before and I was wondering what I should expect and the like. What are some things that I need to be prepared for? I have looked at the job description and I know sort-of what I need to do, but I would like some input from others, especially those that have done this before.

Thank you,
C/Capt Priscilla Temaat
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

Nathan

Quote from: C/Command125 on August 18, 2009, 02:56:40 AM
I have been selected as the Logistics OIC at the 2009 KSWG Winter Encampment. Now, I have never done this before and I was wondering what I should expect and the like. What are some things that I need to be prepared for? I have looked at the job description and I know sort-of what I need to do, but I would like some input from others, especially those that have done this before.

Thank you,
C/Capt Priscilla Temaat

Haven't done that job before, but I've had people working for me who have done that job.

Like almost every support position that a cadet will hold, the type of work and level of involvement really differs from encampment to encampment. I kept my C/Logistics guy pretty busy when I was the C/CC of an encampment. It wasn't because I kept him solely on inventory, though. To be honest, when it comes to an encampment, MOST of the logistics work happens before and after the encampment, as least as far as a cadet will participate.

So the type of work I had my guy doing also involved things like:
1) refilling bathroom supplies
2) helping set up classrooms before activities
3) working with all instructors to ensure they were properly supplied
4) bringing extra water for the cadets to long-range activities
5) helping pack and transport meals for aforementioned activities
6) putting together the end-of-encampment packets for the cadets
7) etc, etc.

What do YOU think the job description is for this encampment, based on what you were told by your superiors and what you already know? I have always believed that support positions show a great deal about a cadet, sometimes even more so than a leadership position. A person who really knows how to get things done and cares about the quality of the encampment will shine no matter what position is assigned, and if you want to be a successful C/Logistics Officer, the idea is to stay busy and be willing (but not insistent) on working outside of what you might usually consider "your area."

Keep in mind that while your job scope may be limited by your preconceived notions of what you're "supposed to do", you are also a Phase IV cadet officer and expected to take the initiative. As in any position, command or no, remember that your rank means you SHOULD be able to work at a higher level than any C/NCO holding your position, so the quality, thoroughness, and depth of your work, even in a job like logistics, should reflect the rank you're wearing on your shoulders.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.