The aging brain and cognitive decline of pilots

Started by flying Nurse, March 28, 2012, 03:06:52 AM

flying Nurse

I read some comments on the aging pilot in CAPTalk and opinions about when a CAP pilot should hang up his / her headphones for good.   I am almost 70, a Mission Pilot and working on an MS in Aeronautical Science with a focus on Human Factors.   (I'm an old Psych nurse, retired Navy)  I'm doing some preliminary research on the feasibility of a self test for CAP pilots (or GA pilots in general) to help a pilot make that difficult decision.  I'd like your ideas of what physical and behavioral factors we should be looking at in ourselves that would tell us we are at increasing risk for accidents/ incidents.    I realize there are a lot of variables and  a large "gray area" when it comes to assessing the aging pilot and a decline in one's decision making.  But I agree that we can't sweep it under the cowling.  I'm trying hard to keep the old synapses firing on all cylinders but I also understand that some day, my primary instruments will all go into the red and I'll have to shut 'er down.    Thanks for any input. You can reach me at my email if you wish.   flying.nurse@yahoo.com 

bosshawk

Some years ago, the VA and the National Agency on Aging did a long, extensive study on GA pilots between the ages of 50 and 70: I took part until I hit the magical top age.  You might try Googling the study.  They published some of the study, but I have no idea where it might be.  Oh, I think that the FAA had a hand in the study, also.  It was conducted at the VA hospital in Palo Alto, Ca.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

bflynn

In the FAA accident database studies, pilots over 60 rank very slightly above pilots under 29 in terms of the number of accidents. Even as an aging pilot, as long as you fly regularly, the record suggests your still in a range considered safe.

Ultimately only you or your doctor can make that call. Each person is different.

bosshawk

And a point to consider: pilots over 60 likely fly more hours than those under 29: they generally have the money to do so.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Extremepredjudice

I looked around in my college's academic databases, and I couldn't find any studies. I spent a hour looking
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

bosshawk

I forgot to mention in my previous post that Stanford University was the principal investigator: they ran the study at the VA hospital.  I have no idea how or where you might find what has been published, although a number of years ago I saw some results.

There were several hundred people tested over a number of years.  We had to be at least Private Pilots, with a current medical.  We did a bunch of stuff on a computer and then flew a simulator at least three times: this whole deal took most of a half day.  After the initial testing, we went back once a year.  I think that I did about six or seven years, so there should be a ton of data.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777