I just finished the IG College. Anybody have questions about it?

Started by Ed Bos, June 08, 2018, 06:47:20 PM

Ed Bos

I'm sitting in class after having completed the last test for the course, and waiting for my classmates to wrap up before graduation.

I've found it to be illuminating, and one of the highest-caliber academic environments in CAP. The cadre and lessons were top-notch, and we got to hear some insightful observations from the highest levels of CAP and CAP-USAF.

If you've considered taking the course in the past, I'd recommend trying to get into the 2020 class.

Does anyone want to know about the IG College?
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

OldGuy

Holding Pattern

Current events caused me to recently enroll in the IG track and complete all the online training. I learned a lot and I understand now why most complaints fail. I'm definitely interested in this and have a lot of questions.

The one at the top of my list though is WRT inspections:

Are IG teams going to start doing external audits to make sure stated Internet Operations are not the only Internet Operations available?

It's really simple to use a crafted google query to locate all sites active in a wing and reconcile it with the internet operations report, but I've never seen this done. Has anyone even talked about it there?

Ed Bos

Quote from: Holding Pattern on June 09, 2018, 04:23:54 AM
Current events caused me to recently enroll in the IG track and complete all the online training. I learned a lot and I understand now why most complaints fail. I'm definitely interested in this and have a lot of questions.

Are IG teams going to start doing external audits to make sure stated Internet Operations are not the only Internet Operations available?

It's really simple to use a crafted google query to locate all sites active in a wing and reconcile it with the internet operations report, but I've never seen this done. Has anyone even talked about it there?

I'm not sure what you mean by "to make sure stated Internet Operations are not the only Internet Operations available"...

But no, there wasn't specific discussion about inspecting internet operations, and until there's a current regulation to verify compliance with (looks like there's no CAPR 110-1 on the website) the IG chain won't have any involvement.

There's still the discretion of any commander to direct an "inspection" of their respective IT staff, but that's a command function, not an IG one.
PCR-OR-001

Ed Bos

PCR-OR-001

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Ed Bos on June 10, 2018, 06:41:32 AM
Quote from: Holding Pattern on June 09, 2018, 04:23:54 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "to make sure stated Internet Operations are not the only Internet Operations available"...

But no, there wasn't specific discussion about inspecting internet operations, and until there's a current regulation to verify compliance with (looks like there's no CAPR 110-1 on the website) the IG chain won't have any involvement.

There's still the discretion of any commander to direct an "inspection" of their respective IT staff, but that's a command function, not an IG one.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/static/media/cms/CAPR_1201_Information_Technology_Se_3007CE7E168DE.pdf

Ed Bos

Quote from: Holding Pattern on June 10, 2018, 09:37:23 PM

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/static/media/cms/CAPR_1201_Information_Technology_Se_3007CE7E168DE.pdf

Thanks!

I'm making some assumptions here, based on my recent training and some guesswork... This is inspected as part of the CI. Because supplements, OIs, etc cannot be issued below wing level, I am guessing the pantheon of IG staff have decided that it would be redundant to have the IG folks assigned at the wings inspect this again.

That's my best guess, but I'll bring it up with my Region IG at some point. If I hear anything interesting, I'll be sure to close the loop on here.
PCR-OR-001

Lord of the North

Sorry Ed;

CAPR 1-2 states in paragraph 8.3. Supplements and Operating Instructions.  Supplements and OIs may be issued by any level of command unless specifically limited or prohibited by the regulation governing the publication's subject matter.  Publications will not conflict with higher headquarters directives or the parent regulation. (my emphasis)

So unless the parent regulation doesn't allow it, any unit may create, obtain an approval from NHQ and use them.

Ed Bos

Quote from: Lord of the North on June 15, 2018, 07:56:27 PM
Sorry Ed;

CAPR 1-2 states in paragraph 8.3. Supplements and Operating Instructions.  Supplements and OIs may be issued by any level of command unless specifically limited or prohibited by the regulation governing the publication's subject matter.  Publications will not conflict with higher headquarters directives or the parent regulation. (my emphasis)

So unless the parent regulation doesn't allow it, any unit may create, obtain an approval from NHQ and use them.

Quote from: CAPR120-1
3. Operating Instructions (OI), Pamphlets, Supplements and Waivers to this Regulation. CAP/CIO is the approval authority for all OIs, pamphlets, and supplements to this regulation. OIs, pamphlets and supplements to the regulation cannot be issued below the wing level. Requests must be coordinated through the wing and region commanders and will be reviewed for approval by the CAP/CIO or designee.

The parent regulation in this situation doesn't allow it. I'm afraid that's 10 points from Hufflepuff.
PCR-OR-001

PHall

Quote from: Ed Bos on June 17, 2018, 06:03:01 AM
Quote from: Lord of the North on June 15, 2018, 07:56:27 PM
Sorry Ed;

Quote from: CAPR120-1
3. Operating Instructions (OI), Pamphlets, Supplements and Waivers to this Regulation. CAP/CIO is the approval authority for all OIs, pamphlets, and supplements to this regulation. OIs, pamphlets and supplements to the regulation cannot be issued below the wing level. Requests must be coordinated through the wing and region commanders and will be reviewed for approval by the CAP/CIO or designee.

The parent regulation in this situation doesn't allow it. I'm afraid that's 10 points from Hufflepuff.

You do know that the current CAPR 120-1 subject is now Information Technology, right?  IG stuff is now in CAPR 20-1.

Ed Bos

Quote from: PHall on June 17, 2018, 01:42:36 PM
You do know that the current CAPR 120-1 subject is now Information Technology, right?  IG stuff is now in CAPR 20-1.

Yessir. That's the regulation being discussed.
PCR-OR-001