After Orlando, doctors debate value of tourniquets

Started by RNOfficer, August 09, 2016, 03:51:11 AM

RNOfficer

In mass shootings, maybe what to do in certain circumstances until EMS arrives.

https://www.statnews.com/2016/06/24/orlando-shooting-tourniquet/?trendmd-shared=0

the June 12 shooting has renewed attention to the tourniquet as a simple, cheap solution to save lives in civilian mass shootings.

King and other members of the Hartford Consensus, a group of public safety, legal, and medical officials who came together in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting, have recommended public training on, and access to, tourniquets.

"They should be next to every AED [automated external defibrillator] and every first aid kit in every public place," said King. A manufactured tourniquet costs just $18, he said — cheap enough to keep on every ambulance, fire truck, and police cruiser, and in the trunk of every car.

Tourniquets alone will most likely not have the same effect on death rates in civilian active shooter situations" that they do in combat, he said. Combat involves fragmentation injuries from explosives, where tourniquets are helpful, while civilian shootings involve more wounds to the head and torso, he said.

Smith said public training needs to go beyond tourniquets. Civilians need to learn other techniques, such as how to clear a person's airway of vomit and prop them on their side so they can breathe, and how to prevent hypothermia, he argued.

"We need to stop the dying," he said. "Stopping the dying is more than just stopping the bleeding."

improvised tourniquet

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/First_Aid/tourniquets.shtml

guidance from a survival doctor

http://thesurvivaldoctor.com/2015/04/06/tips-tourniquets/

from the Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-professionals/clinical-updates/trauma/combat-tested-tourniquets-save-lives-limbs

SarDragon

Political post removed, as not germane to the OP.

A quick review of the MCoC is suggested.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

There is a helicopter Medivac team based at our airport. They have been coming to a few of our meetings to talk with both Cadets and Senior ground team members in regards to initial triage in the event we do happen to be a first responder on the scene. Some basics in tourniquets, bandaging and much more. And other areas as well, as in last week where they taught us how to prepare a Landing Zone for the helicopter and what signals to use in guiding the helicopter down.

My point being that most of these folks enjoy teaching various groups and are looking for this to do on their down time. Maybe you don't have a helicopter, but you surely have EMT's and ambulances around.  Contact them.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

stillamarine

I've seen in LE more and more officers having a TQ nearby, many guys wearing them on their belts. I have one that goes in my cargo pocket, one on the strap of my plate carrier, one in my IPOK and one on the visor of my car. I have used one in real life and know they are lifesavers. I am actually writing a proposal for the dept to make all officers learn how to use them and be issued one.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

grunt82abn

My SFS has trained everyone in Combat Lifesaver, and has standardized placement of an IFAK and TQ on everyones IBA, Both military and civilians follow this practice. I also carry a Army style STOMP bag in my vehicle at all times, just in case!!!
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

JayT

Should be mandatory. I always carry one on my duty belt, with an ETD  and quick clot in my pocket, one in my duty bag, and two in my POV.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Stonewall

I literally have a "blowout kit" with tourniquet everywhere I go.  At my desk, in my daily carry backpack, in the car, in my "go bag", at home, in my wife's car, and in my gun range bag.
Serving since 1987.