Rejoining after a 36 year lapse

Started by NABodie, October 11, 2018, 12:44:22 AM

NABodie

Looks like Ya'll changed some stuff while I was gone.  I've been looking around in here as a guest for a little while now.  After checking with National, who has no record of my past service, looks like I'll pretty much be starting from scratch.  I sent in a few encampment certificates and a copy of my Mitchell, but most everything I earned has been lost over the years and through the moves.  I have many fond memories of my cadet days and am looking forward to starting a new adventure with my son.
Best regards,
N. A. Bodie

BraveRifles19D

You can enter in your old awards into eservices and your squadron commander can approve them.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

NABodie

I sent what I had to National with the application, Waiting to see what they credit me with from the information I sent in.

Color Guard Rifleman

Welcome Back! The hazing rules weren't as big a deal then as they are now. Hope you can make more fond memories!   :clap:
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

OldGuy

If you earned your Earhart or Eaker or Spaatz, they will be in the archived copies of the national news, and can help get you jump started.

NABodie

Quote from: OldGuy on October 11, 2018, 01:12:21 AM
If you earned your Earhart or Eaker or Spaatz, they will be in the archived copies of the national news, and can help get you jump started.

I made LT. Col. as a Cadet but couldn't find my Earhart, don't remember there being an Eaker back then.

arajca

The Eaker did not exist then. See if the folks running the CAPNews (the olde monthly newspaper) archives can dig out your listing. If you can narrow it down to a six month window, it'll be much easier to find. They were able to dig up mine from 1981. I sent the image they sent in to National and National accepted it as proof of receiving the Earhart.

NABodie

Quote from: arajca on October 11, 2018, 01:31:23 AM
The Eaker did not exist then. See if the folks running the CAPNews (the olde monthly newspaper) archives can dig out your listing. If you can narrow it down to a six month window, it'll be much easier to find. They were able to dig up mine from 1981. I sent the image they sent in to National and National accepted it as proof of receiving the Earhart.

Great idea, how would I get in touch with them?

arajca

Either through the Historian or Public Affairs folks. I forget which I used 17 years ago.

jb3

Welcome back. Although so much of the program has changed, at its core CAP is still the same. And with the internet you will be caught up in no time at all.

JacobAnn

Hoping it is a wonderful experience for both you and your son.  Welcome back!

OldGuy

I did a Google search for bodie earhart capnews and found a number of entries that might fit.

See https://history.cap.gov/files/original/e8a2cfa2a4f634db314589655aa6a926.pdf for a Mitchell with that last name.

NABodie

Quote from: OldGuy on October 11, 2018, 01:01:47 PM
I did a Google search for bodie earhart capnews and found a number of entries that might fit.

See https://history.cap.gov/files/original/e8a2cfa2a4f634db314589655aa6a926.pdf for a Mitchell with that last name.

Wow, Thanks!  That Mitchell Award is my older brothers, mine was from the early 80's

OldGuy

Quote from: NABodie on October 11, 2018, 03:29:24 PM
Quote from: OldGuy on October 11, 2018, 01:01:47 PM

Wow, Thanks!  That Mitchell Award is my older brothers, mine was from the early 80's
We share a similar history - my older brother had his Mitchell, probably 1967 - mine was 1976. Now I rejoined after a long, long lapse because my son is back in as an adult. Too much fun. (If you want guidance on the path forward regards PD and ES feel free to PM me.)

NABodie

Quote from: JacobAnn on October 11, 2018, 11:42:43 AM
Hoping it is a wonderful experience for both you and your son.  Welcome back!

Thanks!

Quote from: jb3 on October 11, 2018, 10:20:14 AM
Welcome back. Although so much of the program has changed, at its core CAP is still the same. And with the internet you will be caught up in no time at all.

Looking forward to it!