Possibly the most pointless uniform rule still around

Started by jeders, June 12, 2019, 09:02:47 PM

Do you know the rule regarding ribbons and devoces falling below the top notch of the lapel?

Yes, I know about that rule and follow it.
Yes, I know about that rule, but I don't follow it or push the boundary.
No, I did not know about that rule.

jeders

As I am preparing my service coat for my upcoming change of command ceremony, I am once again reminded of what is, in my opinion, one of the most pointless, and likely most ignored, uniform rules in CAP. Specifically, I am talking about this little item from Chapter 11:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, 11.1.1.1.1Officers and NCOs. On the USAF-style uniforms, all ribbons, badges, and devices worn by adult members must fall below the top notch of the collar on the service coat or the bottom tip of the collar of shirts/blouses when those are worn without a service coat.

Even more frustrating is that this rule, which the Air Force removed from AFI 36-2903, only applies to senior members and not cadets. This means that when a senior member sees cadets wearing ribbons and badges extending well above those limits, they often do the same.

And so, senior members, I'm curious, do you know about and follow this rule or do you follow what others (specifically our large cadet population) do without realizing that it's not allowed?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Offutteer

I thought you were going to mention that cadets cannot wear the star on their Goddard ribbon, if they've earned the model rocketry badge, unless they have earned their Mitchell award. 

btw, Cadet Ken is wearing his star even though he's a C/CMSgt.  Just like a real cadet, not wearing the uniform properly.   ;D

Fubar

People mixing civilian/corporate clothing with military clothing. Like someone wearing the polo shirt with the "Lightweight Blue Jacket" or the green flight jacket. Not really cadet related I guess, but I've seen it a few times.

SarDragon

Quote from: Fubar on June 12, 2019, 10:10:22 PM
People mixing civilian/corporate clothing with military clothing. Like someone wearing the polo shirt with the "Lightweight Blue Jacket" or the green flight jacket. Not really cadet related I guess, but I've seen it a few times.

That's trickle down from the military services who, in general, prohibit mixing civilian/corporate clothing with military clothing. I don't see any relief in sight for this.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

N6RVT

Quote from: Fubar on June 12, 2019, 10:10:22 PMPeople mixing civilian/corporate clothing with military clothing. Like someone wearing the polo shirt with the "Lightweight Blue Jacket" or the green flight jacket. Not really cadet related I guess, but I've seen it a few times.

Green flight jacket over the polo shirt uniform is so common in CAWG the only time I have ever seen an entire unit in the same uniform - that's what it was.

hfriday

I haven't gotten to the point yet where I have to worry about it, but I would definitely prefer short-stacking over looking like some third-world dictator.

I am an Army veteran, and have my share of active-duty ribbons over my single row of CAP ones, but have always had respect for the USMC's stinginess in awarding ribbons and medals. If you get one every time you do your job and do it well, there's not much meaning to them. In the Corps, every award is precious.

Nobody in the Civil Air Patrol should be wearing more ribbons than a Special Forces operator, because it just looks self-important and ridiculous.

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NIN

Quote from: Offutteer on June 12, 2019, 09:39:34 PM
I thought you were going to mention that cadets cannot wear the star on their Goddard ribbon, if they've earned the model rocketry badge, unless they have earned their Mitchell award. 

btw, Cadet Ken is wearing his star even though he's a C/CMSgt.  Just like a real cadet, not wearing the uniform properly.   ;D

Cadet Ken gets a counseling statement...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on June 13, 2019, 03:07:09 PM
Quote from: Offutteer on June 12, 2019, 09:39:34 PM

Cadet Ken gets a counseling statement...

Careful, he gets deflated easily...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: hfriday on June 13, 2019, 11:28:29 AM
Nobody in the Civil Air Patrol should be wearing more ribbons than a Special Forces operator, because it just looks self-important and ridiculous.

Right. 

Because wearing a chest full of decs no one recognizes and are irrelevant to the organization
you're actually in...that's fine.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: hfriday on June 13, 2019, 11:28:29 AMNobody in the Civil Air Patrol should be wearing more ribbons than a Special Forces operator, because it just looks self-important and ridiculous.

I happen to be the former and a retired latter, last time I checked I was up to 42 ribbons.  I came up with a 9 ribbon rack that satisfied both CAP and USCGAUX rules and in CAP I only wear that on the service coat.

I only wear ribbons on uniforms that require them.  The US Army doesn't have this rule and we had guys who had their top badge literally touching the epaulet on the jacket.  And that's with stuff on the pocket flap, which CAP does not do because the USAF doesn't.