FLOOD IN NER ,CAP CADET SAVED HIMSELF

Started by Persona non grata, August 17, 2011, 02:48:25 PM

Persona non grata

Fox news reported that a teen in the NER saved him self during severe flooding........the part I caught was the fact he was a CAP cadet.     I caught the end and I cant find anything on the net.    Does anybody have any further info?
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

JC004

titanII

Quote from: JC004 on August 17, 2011, 03:03:50 PM
Lifesaving ribbon?
For saving himself? Now that's going to start a fair amount of discussion here... >:D
No longer active on CAP talk

Eclipse

Glad he's ok, but why is he in uniform?

He was horsing around with his buddies and fell in, then he hung on for dear life until the fire department pulled him out - hardly "saved himself".

If anything he should be the subject of a safety briefing call 'Watch This!".

"That Others May Zoom"

Persona non grata

Thanks for the link.......I's a good story, he stayed alive and he returned safely to his family.

God bless him.

JC004

Quote from: titanII on August 17, 2011, 04:06:38 PM
Lifesaving ribbon?
For saving himself? Now that's going to start a fair amount of discussion here... >:D

eh.  Sure.

Eclipse

And...it becomes a uni-thread.

He's wearing hat insignia on his epaulet sleeves in the video.

"That Others May Zoom"

Persona non grata

They just played a clip of him on FOX NEWS......Shepard Smith stated that he is a cadet in the U.S AIR FORCE. AUXILIARY.

a2capt

Well, I've never seen a shoulder cord stuck all the way over to the button side of things. Was he headed out the door to a CAP meeting the next day when the news hounds found him? Whats the uniform got to do with the hour and a half of "now he knows what is body can take" for the Marines..

Huey Driver

Yeah.. he did not save himself. He was clutching to a log and had to be pulled off the log. He was told multiple times by adults not to go close to the river.. and that is what happened.

This was the main topic of discussion between the cadets (including several from his squadron) at the Atlantic City Airshow today.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

a2capt

Hopefully he learns from it, when your command in the Marines says "don't xxxx" .. and you do it anyway, it's a whole different matter.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on August 17, 2011, 08:24:53 PM
Well, I've never seen a shoulder cord stuck all the way over to the button side of things.

I could show you pics from all over like that.  Apparently this is the new "hardkewl" way to wear the cord.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2011, 08:48:44 PM
Apparently this is the new "hardkewl" completely out of regulation way to wear the cord.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jimmydeanno

Well, "back in the day" people actually used the button loop provided on the cord.  Quite frankly, I think that on the Light Blue Shirt, the cord looks retarded pushed down to the shoulder seam.  Now they just look like floppy pieces of garbage hanging on the side of the shirt instead of looking like a uniform accessory that is attached to the uniform.

It's not a hardkewl anything, but it is attached like the cord manufacturer intended it to be worn - not how CAP decided it to be worn when they added the Honor Guard crap to the uniform manual.

If our cadets were 6'0" and 180 pounds, it might look OK for them to wear them on their blues shirts like the uniform describes, but now, because they are 5'0" and 85 pounds, they're usually 10" too long, pull the shirt down, and just look bad.  Putting it on the button fixes that.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

That's about it.  We wore them that way until Honor Guard came along.

flyboy53

idk.  Lifesaving ribbon?

How about repeating the safety briefing stuff for the next six months instead....talk about STUPID!!!!!

ol'fido

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 17, 2011, 09:31:22 PM
Well, "back in the day" people actually used the button loop provided on the cord.  Quite frankly, I think that on the Light Blue Shirt, the cord looks retarded pushed down to the shoulder seam.  Now they just look like floppy pieces of garbage hanging on the side of the shirt instead of looking like a uniform accessory that is attached to the uniform.

It's not a hardkewl anything, but it is attached like the cord manufacturer intended it to be worn - not how CAP decided it to be worn when they added the Honor Guard crap to the uniform manual.

If our cadets were 6'0" and 180 pounds, it might look OK for them to wear them on their blues shirts like the uniform describes, but now, because they are 5'0" and 85 pounds, they're usually 10" too long, pull the shirt down, and just look bad.  Putting it on the button fixes that.
Agreed. All the Army infantry guys here like me probably throw up in their mouths a little bit at the thought of wearing a blue Infantry cord like that.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Persona non grata

WIWAC we wore the cord like that, you were considered a rebel  >:D