Main Menu

Weather

Started by Hoorah, September 20, 2009, 08:37:09 PM

Hoorah

Hello. I was wondering what Civil Air Patrol offers for weather,Meteorology such as training certification damage surveys etc.

DC

Not much, really. CAP sometimes does aerial survey after natural disasters, but we just take the pictures and pass them on to the customer...

whatevah

CAP can't really provide this training on their own since it doesn't fall into our normal scope.  But my wing teamed up with the Red Cross several years ago for training to support them with post-disaster assessment in addition to shelter support.  Of course, we haven't any large scale problems here since then.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

heliodoc

Contact NE Wing/ North Central Region

They used to have an encampment for 1 week hanging with an Air Weather Sqdn at  Offutt AFB during the summer

From there contact the American Meteorological Society for good info or even NWS NOAA for some cadet fun...

Airrace

I have not seen them teach very much if any in those topics at our squadron. Good idea since all future pilots need some training in weather.

RADIOMAN015

Get your unit or group or wing to sponsor a "Storm Spotter" class first.  NOAA NWS will even waiver the age requirements for CAP.  That will give you some basics.

IF you are close to a military base that has a metro function have your cadet program senior member give them a call for a tour/briefing.  Even the contract facilities will be very helpful.
RM