What are these NIMS courses

Started by flyguy06, February 07, 2008, 05:33:33 AM

flyguy06

I was looking at some of the SQTR's. What is G193, G195, and G196? I looked on the FEMA EMI course listing and cant find it anywhere.
I have completed ICS 100-800. Are any of these equivilant?

CASH172

Yes you've already done them.  G193 is ICS 200, G195 is ICS 300 and G196 is ICS 400.

sardak

Course equivalents

I-100 = IS-100 = Q462
I-200 = IS-200 = G193 = Q463
I-300 = G300 = G195 = H465
I-400 = G400 = G196 = H467

No equivalents for IS-700 and IS-800.

Mike

flyguy06

So, what's up with the differant numbers?

sardak

I - courses through the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG)

IS - Independent Study courses through FEMA's Emergency Management Institute (EMI)

G19x - The EMI course numbers before FEMA standardized on the IS course numbers.

G300, 400 - classroom courses still taught at EMI

Q and H - courses taught by FEMA's National Fire Academy

Mike

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: sardak on February 07, 2008, 06:13:31 AM
I - courses through the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG)

IS - Independent Study courses through FEMA's Emergency Management Institute (EMI)

G19x - The EMI course numbers before FEMA standardized on the IS course numbers.

G300, 400 - classroom courses still taught at EMI

Q and H - courses taught by FEMA's National Fire Academy

Mike

LOL...thanks for the primer, but it STILL makes my head hurt. Everyone wants THEIR number/name/whatever. This is why I am such HUGE proponent of standardization, in course AND names/numbers.

isuhawkeye

Many people take IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, and IS-800.  They then claim that they have ICS 100-800.  Don't forget that there are a lot of other courses between IS 100, and 800. 

Also 700, and 800 are not ICS courses. 

floridacyclist

And don't forget that ICS300 and ICS400 are in-residence classes only....that means that if you have not spent several days sitting in a classroom doing exercise after exercise, you do not have them. I only mention this because I have heard several people get confused about what classes they have...they assume that having 700 and 800 means that they have all the required courses "up to" that level.

ICS300 is one of the more educational and interesting courses in the entire series.....well worth any money or time you have to spend to take it. A lot of the information taught there can easily be applied to leadership or management in general, which shouldn't be surprising since ICS was not invented from scratch. Back in the 70s, they had lots of problems with a bunch of different fire depts workin on huge wildfires in California, so they decided they needed a rulebook that everyone could use. Afte talking it all through, they took all the best practices they could find from the military, business, emergency management etc and combined them all into a completely new command and control system that resembled a little bit of everything else.

Most folks actually enjoy their 300 courses.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

arajca

Quote from: floridacyclist on February 07, 2008, 01:46:27 PM
Except those who REALLY hate paperwork. You will become intimately familiar with the more common ICS forms.

floridacyclist

I hate paperwork, but  I see the forms as a checklist and therefore a necessary evil. If you fill them out properly, it helps make sure that you have crossed your Ts and dotted your Is in the planning process.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

flyguy06

I guess what I am asking is if I-200 is the same as IS-200 which is the same as G193 whay have so many designations? Why not justcall it one thing? thats confusing and makes no sense.

Why not cal it G193 or whatever? WHy all the other course numbers?

flyguy06

Quote from: floridacyclist on February 07, 2008, 01:46:27 PM
And don't forget that ICS300 and ICS400 are in-residence classes only....that means that if you have not spent several days sitting in a classroom doing exercise after exercise, you do not have them. I only mention this because I have heard several people get confused about what classes they have...they assume that having 700 and 800 means that they have all the required courses "up to" that level.

ICS300 is one of the more educational and interesting courses in the entire series.....well worth any money or time you have to spend to take it. A lot of the information taught there can easily be applied to leadership or management in general, which shouldn't be surprising since ICS was not invented from scratch. Back in the 70s, they had lots of problems with a bunch of different fire depts workin on huge wildfires in California, so they decided they needed a rulebook that everyone could use. Afte talking it all through, they took all the best practices they could find from the military, business, emergency management etc and combined them all into a completely new command and control system that resembled a little bit of everything else.

Floridacyclist,
I am a National Guard officer. I am in whats called a CERFP unit (its a new type of unit that is growing throughout the country) We respond to different kinds of domestic situations. Everything from natural disasters to other types of things. we are a joint Army Gurard-Air Guard unit. We have a Chemical company, medical compnay (its joint) and a Serach and extraction unit and an HHD.

We spent a whole week going through HAZMAT, the ICS system and other training we are probably the only military unit that is organized by the ICS structure. Its presented some challenges and we are getting used to this table of organization. We have to do our regular military stuff too (for example, I am the Asst. S3, well ICS doesnt have an Asst S3,so for that role I am a Planning chief)

Its a good mission and I really enjoy it.

arajca

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 07, 2008, 03:04:29 PM
I guess what I am asking is if I-200 is the same as IS-200 which is the same as G193 whay have so many designations? Why not justcall it one thing? thats confusing and makes no sense.

Why not cal it G193 or whatever? WHy all the other course numbers?
I-200 was developed by the NWCG (National Wildfire Coordinating Group) for the fire service. G193 is I-200 modified by FEMA to remove the "FIRE DEPT THING" stigma the offended many in LE community. G193 was also a hand-off course - FEMA handed it off the the states to conduct. Both were resident courses - you went to class. IS-200 is an online course. When NIMS came out, they used the most widely distributed course at the time - I-200 as the standard. So everythine else had to scome into line with it.

flyguy06

Ok, but I wasnt neccessarily talking about aparticular course. iwas talking the numbering. You have I this and G that and IS this. It gets confusing. But I think I understand it now. One designation was the Fire service and one was the FEMA and one was a combination of the two.

flyguy06

I have another question, but didnt want to start another thread on it.

What is the difference between a Liasin Officer and a Agency Liaision Officer? By looking that the qualifications, The Agency Liaison Officer is a real big deal. It appaears to have the same requirememnts as a Incident Commander.

isuhawkeye

an AL would represent your agency in an eoc or unified command environment where the title or presence of a cap specific IC would be inapropriate. 

a liason officer would be someone working within an ICS strucrue who would bring in and coordinate with another agency or specilty resource

arajca

Everyone else calls the AL a Agency Representative. In the Draft 60-3, the AL specialty is dropped.

The LO is who interfaces with the Agency Reps.

sardak

Everyone else calls it Agency Representative because that is the ICS name for the position.  CAP invented "Agency Liaison" because there was concern that some members might think that "representative" gave them power and/or authority they didn't have.  Fortunately, the organization has gotten past that. 

And of course Agency Reps and Liaison Officers wondered why someone had a title that was a cross between the two positions.  As said, if there is a Liaison Officer on an incident, the Agency Reps report to the LO.  It's good to see that CAP has dropped AL and accepted Agency Rep.

QuoteOne designation was the Fire service and one was the FEMA and one was a combination of the two.
Close enough.  The fire service that originally developed the courses was the wildland fire service.  FEMA, in its emergency management and non-wildand fire service divisions, had to create its own numbering systems for the different versions of the same courses.

FEMA also has different versions of IS-100 and IS-200.  These are noted by letters at the end, such as IS-100.PW.  This is bureaucracy at its finest, so just forget about it, you've passed the classes.

Mike

flyguy06

Dustoff

Quote from: sardak on February 07, 2008, 05:46:39 AM
Course equivalents

I-100 = IS-100 = Q462
I-200 = IS-200 = G193 = Q463
I-300 = G300 = G195 = H465
I-400 = G400 = G196 = H467

No equivalents for IS-700 and IS-800.

Mike

I'd be a little leary about calling those all "equivilents". 

G193, 195, and 196 were pre-NIMS.  When the NIMS document was published in 2004, those courses all had to be redesigned to reflect the new methodologies/strategies/terminology.  They might be considered to be for a similar managerial level, but I would not consider them "equivilent".  I think that someone trying to function in an ICS-managed incident with only those courses under their belt would be at a severe handicap.  IMHO

And is your training recorded in the "Grand Database".  I know that DHS through the Center for Domestic Preparedness is trying to get it's arms wrapped back around ICS training.  Too many "Mom & Pop" organizations jumped into the frey without any kind of quality controls or oversight.

The designators on the end of the IS-100 courses and IS-200 courses reflect content for specific dicisiplines.  The content is almost identical, just focused towards those specific areas.  Taking any of them meets the criteria.

No designator = plain vanilla version
FW = Federal Worker
LE = Law Enforcement Personnel
PW = Public Works Personnel
SC = Schools
KC = Healthcare/Hospital Personnel

Jim
Jim