What do I have to do to get Commander approval for Familiarization and Prepatory

Started by madmace125, May 27, 2013, 02:18:07 AM

madmace125

What do I have to do to get Commander approval for Familiarization and Prepatory training? That is the last thing I need to be GTM3

JeffDG

Ummm...how did you do the advanced tasks without CC approval for Fam/Prep?

I'm a "Wing Approver" for my wing, and if the "Mission Participation" items have dates before the CC approval for fam/prep, that's an insta-reject from me...you cannot do the mission participation without being a supervised trainee, and without CC approval for Fam/Prep, you're not a supervised trainee.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on May 27, 2013, 02:23:04 AM
Ummm...how did you do the advanced tasks without CC approval for Fam/Prep?

I'm a "Wing Approver" for my wing, and if the "Mission Participation" items have dates before the CC approval for fam/prep, that's an insta-reject from me...you cannot do the mission participation without being a supervised trainee, and without CC approval for Fam/Prep, you're not a supervised trainee.

+1 and ditto - you're not even allowed to be signed into a mission unless FAM / Prep is completed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: madmace125 on May 27, 2013, 02:18:07 AM
What do I have to do to get Commander approval for Familiarization and Prepatory training? That is the last thing I need to be GTM3

Just ask your Commander, or Deputy Commander for approval :)

JeffDG

Quote from: Mission Pilot on May 27, 2013, 02:30:20 AM
Quote from: madmace125 on May 27, 2013, 02:18:07 AM

Just ask your Commander, or Deputy Commander for approval :)
Operations Officer and ES Officer can do it too, normally.

madmace125

And also why did he not do it? I got commander approval for prerequisites.

Duke Dillio

I would assume that the OP means that he needs Commander Approval for fam and prep in order for him to be a GTM-3(T).  When all of the tasks are completed and an SET validates the tasks, it should automatically send an email to your unit commander which he/she then validates thus issuing the 101T.  If you don't have an evaluator signed off on the tasks then the commander won't see it.  If the commander is the SET, then you have to ask him/her to go into OPS Quals and fill it in.

Eclipse

Quote from: madmace125 on May 27, 2013, 03:07:01 AM
And also why did he not do it? I got commander approval for prerequisites.

He was likely not aware - there's no notification for that (or at least there wasn't before the recent upgrade).

While you're discussing this, might as well ask why you were allowed to participate in missions without a valid 101 card.

"That Others May Zoom"

madmace125

I took the GES 116 for my first SAREX, then printed a temporary CAPF 101 and also all my tasks have been approved, they are green in the SQTR fill in thing.

Duke Dillio

You must do things in GA differently then everywhere else....

The way it is supposed to be is that you get the commander to sign off the prereqs first and then complete the fam and prep tasks.  Then, the unit commander signs off saying that you are "qualified to learn".  You are not supposed (actually, allowed) to serve on a team until you are signed off on your fam and prep.  Next, you do the advanced training and your two "sorties" (not missions).  Finally, you finish off with the 117 part one and a final commander signature for full qualification.

The fact that you have everything already entered with no fam and prep training is unnerving at best.  The fam and prep training is the stuff you need to know before you go to the field.  Without it, you are putting yourself and your team at risk...

madmace125

So what all do I have to do to get fam and prep what all does that require me to do and how long should it take and finally, will my missions still count? I was never even aware of this and am going to be angry that I haven't been told different until now.

Eclipse

They might not - which isn't the end of the world since you should be looking to do more then the minimum.
On the one hand, your leadership should be better informed and have provided the information you needed, on the other, as a cadet, it's your responsibility to understand the situation and the rules.

The reason those steps are there is to insure you are ready to advance in the opinion of your CC - just because a member gets the boxes checked, doesn't necessarily mean they are ready for field work.  For example if a member is having a disciplinary or maturity issue (seniors not exempt), a CC may feel he needs more time before being fully qualified (or even doing mission work in the case of FAM / Prep).

The 101 you printed would not have been valid for GT duty, which means the admin people, GBD, GTL and a few others also failed to properly vet your participation.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Storm Chaser

Assuming you had implied or verbal approval prior to performing those advanced tasks, the commander or his/her designee (deputy commander for seniors, ops officer, ES officer, ES training officer, etc.) can approve this in Ops Qual with a prior date. But understand that that's not the proper procedure and that your commander or designee must approve prerequisites and fam & prep training before you can conduct advanced training. Otherwise, this qual may be rejected by group or wing when it goes for approval.

When you complete prerequisites, you must submit the commander's approval in Ops Qual just like you do for a task. That will show in the Approvals queue so that someone with approval permissions can review and approve it. The same must be done with fam & prep training. The commander or designees won't know you met the requirements unless you notify them and this is the way to do it. If you don't see any actions after a few days, then you can follow up with the individuals. With the new system, you must wait until tasks within that section have been validated before requesting the corresponding commander's approval.

Mela_007

I was glad to see this topic as I had the same question.  I am in the beginning stages as a new Senior Member.  I am interested in a few quals that are related, can I be approved to be training for more than one at a time?  For example, GTM3 and UDF.  They have similar requirements and deal with similar conditions, so I thought I could possibly train for both at the same time.  If I can do so, then would the tasks/trainings that are required in both appear as completed for both (i.e. IS100, IS700, Task L-0001, etc).

I know I need my Commander's approval and it is clear here that I just ask.  Should that be in person, or via the Ops Quals?  I see in GTM3 that the first pre-requisite is GES.  After the Commander inputs my GES quals then it will show as completed (I assume, we finished the face to face for Level 1 during this week's meeting).  Then there is a box below that asks for the Commander's approval for pre-requisites.  Do I click the box and submit?  Then when I am ready to begin the Fam/Prep work I knew I need Commander approval before hand to do these tasks, yet his approval box is listed below the Fam/Prep tasks...again, do I click that box and submit to put it into the Commander's queue for approval?
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

SJFedor

Quote from: Mela_007 on August 02, 2013, 01:48:24 AM
I was glad to see this topic as I had the same question.  I am in the beginning stages as a new Senior Member.  I am interested in a few quals that are related, can I be approved to be training for more than one at a time?  For example, GTM3 and UDF.  They have similar requirements and deal with similar conditions, so I thought I could possibly train for both at the same time.  If I can do so, then would the tasks/trainings that are required in both appear as completed for both (i.e. IS100, IS700, Task L-0001, etc).

I know I need my Commander's approval and it is clear here that I just ask.  Should that be in person, or via the Ops Quals?  I see in GTM3 that the first pre-requisite is GES.  After the Commander inputs my GES quals then it will show as completed (I assume, we finished the face to face for Level 1 during this week's meeting).  Then there is a box below that asks for the Commander's approval for pre-requisites.  Do I click the box and submit?  Then when I am ready to begin the Fam/Prep work I knew I need Commander approval before hand to do these tasks, yet his approval box is listed below the Fam/Prep tasks...again, do I click that box and submit to put it into the Commander's queue for approval?

There's a few tests you need to knock out to finish your GES besides level 1. Your best bet is to have your commander review all the stuff in ops quals for you. You will not be in a supervised trainee status (shows up on your 101 with a (*) next to it) until you've completed the fam/prep stuff.

And you can be in trainee status for as many relevant qualifications as you want/are qualified to train in.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Mela_007

I have completed OPSEC, EO, CPPT, Intro to Safety, Level One Foundations...I cannot find where anything else is required.  But let me know if you think of something I'm missing.

Ok, wow, thanks!!  There's quite a number of tasks that I need to complete in the Fam/Prep section before I can become a Trainee.  That is very good to know.  I will talk with the Commander and ask him to look over my Ops Quals for the GES completion, plus ask him about beginning the Fam/Prep for a couple Quals.  Thanks so much!!!  YAY!   ;D

MacGruff

I don't remember exactly where it is, but passing the GES exam is a separate activity beyond the Level 1 stuff. I am in a similar situation to yours and I found the GES area in e-services. After I passed it, and the appropriate squadron member approved it, the box in the operations qualifications area turned green.

For the commander approval, I first spoke to her to let her know what I am doing. Once I got that approval, I went into e-services and into My Operations Qualifications. All the boxes above the approval box were in green so I checked the box for commander approval, put in that day's date, and for Mission ID I put in her CAPID number (You can use e-services to look it up). After clicking the submit button, the box turned yellow - indicating that it accepted my information and probably sent an email to the squadron commander.

A couple of days later, I checked in e-services and that box is now in green so I can move on to get the other trainings I need.

I expect I will follow the same process when I complete the familiarization and preparation stages and need her approval again.

Mela_007

Cool, thanks MacGruff!  We are in a similar spot. I checked with Commander via email and my level one stuff is off to NHQ for approval, but he said he'll approve the fam/prep when that comes through. My GES 116 test has been complete I just had to finish the in meeting part.

Thanks for letting me know how you submitted for your commander's approval. That will come in handy after fam/prep for me too.

Luis R. Ramos

Mela, even if your commander does approve your ES prerequisites, until your Level I shows online, or in the case of cadets, Curry, your GES will not show up online. I hope by now that your Level I does show up.This is automatic. If your safety currency lapses, automatically your GES and any ICS class will become invalid until you renew the safety currency.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

MacGruff

Yeah, I forgot to mention how important the safety is for the system.  In my case, I've already taken some of the prep classes from an evaluator. Once I got the commander's approval task taken care of, I went and put in the classes I had taken and the evaluator's ID. I immediately got an error message from the system that the evaluator ID was not correct. It took a bit of investigating by myself and the Admin officer for the squadron. What we ultimately determined was that the evaluator's safety had lapsed and therefore he cannot be used as an evaluator!

Mela_007

Thanks that's good to keep in mind. I know my safety is current but that doesn't mean my evaluator is. I'll watch for that. As of yesterday evening my level one is still not cleared. Doesn't NHQ have to get my CAPF11 processed for it to clear? 

Luis R. Ramos

Yes they have to. As I understand, for Level I the CAPF 11 should go directly to NHQ. For others it may be Group,or Wing, or Region. Depending on how  long it has been, your Personnel Officer or CC should initiate a Tracer Action.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

MacGruff

Quote from: Mela_007 on August 05, 2013, 10:24:22 AM
... As of yesterday evening my level one is still not cleared. Doesn't NHQ have to get my CAPF11 processed for it to clear?

If I recall correctly, it took a couple (maybe even three) weeks for my level 1 to show up on e-services.

EMT-83

Mela_007

I was told recently that NHQ has gone through some downsizing recently and so they are playing catch-up right now.  We filled out the CAPF11 last week and the commander submitted it (not sure what day).  However, since I still have not received my official CAP membership card, I am guessing the delays at NHQ are going to hold up lots of things until they get the swing of handling the load with less folks.  I finally got my Member's Kit in the mail last week, but the card still hasn't arrived.  I turned my application in 26 June, and my membership says 18 July, so I'll give it a bit yet before I start trying to track it down.

MacGruff

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 05, 2013, 03:51:27 PM
It should take no more than 48 hours if submitted properly.

EMT - you're assuming that the approvers check e-services or their email on a regular basis...  I know in my case, the local approver checks his email only once a week...    8)

MacGruff

Quote from: Mela_007 on August 05, 2013, 07:40:43 PM
I was told recently that NHQ has gone through some downsizing recently and so they are playing catch-up right now.  We filled out the CAPF11 last week and the commander submitted it (not sure what day).  However, since I still have not received my official CAP membership card, I am guessing the delays at NHQ are going to hold up lots of things until they get the swing of handling the load with less folks.  I finally got my Member's Kit in the mail last week, but the card still hasn't arrived.  I turned my application in 26 June, and my membership says 18 July, so I'll give it a bit yet before I start trying to track it down.

Congrats on getting the member kit! I joined in early April, got notified - by the squadron - that my CAPID was active in early May; received the "kit" (binder and three pages) in July; and am still waiting for my official card in August!!!  In other words, you're doing good!

By the way, none of this should be construed as a complaint on my part. I have become an active member of the squadron and have been already appointed to two positions; completed my level 1; and am on my way to getting both my Technician rating and an operational qualification...

I also spoke to National HQ about my FBI approval and they are tracking down the situation - it is apparently stuck with the FBI which is causing me all kinds of mirth as I have other FBI approvals already...    ;D

jeders

Quote from: MacGruff on August 05, 2013, 08:43:41 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on August 05, 2013, 03:51:27 PM
It should take no more than 48 hours if submitted properly.

EMT - you're assuming that the approvers check e-services or their email on a regular basis...  I know in my case, the local approver checks his email only once a week...    8)

No need. Whoever processed it at the squadron level should have scanned it and emailed it to NHQ. 48-72 hr turn around, tops.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Mela_007

I know what you mean MacGruff, I'm getting active right away as well.  I have already received my CAP Driver's License (shows on my 101) and I'm just waiting on official GES clearance to begin the fam/Prep stuff.  However, I already have the task guide and I've been looking at the first several items listed, learning, gathering items (GTM3, UDF stuff), etc.  The Commander and I have been talking about positions as well and I'll likely decide on those at tomorrow's meeting.

So, even though we don't have our ID cards yet we're forging ahead and getting active.  Way to go MacGruff!  :clap: