Water survival training

Started by desert rat, March 13, 2007, 07:03:19 PM

Flying Pig

NAS Lemoore in Central CA does our underwater egress training for the Sheriffs Department.  I dont know if they would do CAP or not.  Ill ask, Ill be out there on Wed.  Maybe those near Air Stations could put a call into the Aviation Survival Institute at that base.  The only kicker is that they require you to pass a full military flight physical done by a flight surgeon.  Eyes, ears, EKG, blood, the works.

CommGeek

The issue with other military water survival training is that your taught using military equipment , not the civilian equipment we use.  You also learn in a C-130 or H-60 dunk tank....not the same as a Cessna 182...

The military course is good, but you still need the CAP specifics.

Major Lord

The Cadet Survival School ( Formerly in CAWG) has several days of Water Survival for Cadets. It does not include aircraft egress. The College is funny about dropping airplanes in the school pool....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

MikeD

For what it's worth, I use my work training for currency on this.  We and AFFTC crew have to do it every 5 years.  One of the most fun non-flight days I've gotten paid for  8)

Flying Pig

Finished Aircrew Egress at Lemoore NAS today.  The staff at ACST was great. I did 8 rides total. 3 blacked out. We only had 3 qual rides but I went back and rode with the re-treds who kept swimming out of the BIG hole in the back. I did 3 rides in the pilot seat which were fun. I wasnt a re-tred. I could have stayed there all day if they let me. They gave us the qual letters and a cert. for 2nd Class swimmer. Yeah, not a big deal, but they didnt have to.

I thought I would be a smartass and leave my seat belt off on one ride. I started in the very back and ended up in the front before the violent motion had ended. Still fun. No photos though....we all forgot our cameras. We are going to put together a nice unit plaque with a set of wings, a unit patch, with a thank you letter from the Sheriff. Maybe it will end up on the wall on the quarter deck......or over the toilet in the head.

As far as CAP specifics, it doesnt matter.  The training is not focused on specific airframes.  Your wearing more gear than ANY CAP pilot would ever wear, and your not using it, your learning to swim with it and drown proof.  The hatches are not military hatches specific to a C130, HH60 or a C-182.  Its more about learning to slow down and think while your strapped into a tube filling with water upside down.  And how to survive once you are out and in the water with boots and survival gear taking on water weight.  Unfortunately a No-Go on CAP members.  At least at Lemoore.

Great day though.

vento

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 15, 2010, 10:05:20 PM
Finished Aircrew Egress at Lemoore NAS today....

.....Unfortunately a No-Go on CAP members.  At least at Lemoore.

:'(

Glad you had a good time and survived with or without the belt.  :clap:

AirDX

Quote from: CommGeek on September 14, 2010, 11:42:41 AM
The issue with other military water survival training is that your taught using military equipment , not the civilian equipment we use.  You also learn in a C-130 or H-60 dunk tank....not the same as a Cessna 182...

The military course is good, but you still need the CAP specifics.

The AF folks here do it in the ocean, and it's primarily getting tossed in the water wearing all your gear, and surviving that, plus inflating and entering a raft.

If anyone could define what the CAP specifics actually are, that would be great!
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

CAP Marine

I asked this question through KB and was sent a DVD by Mr. Desmarais. There definitely is a CAP curriculum for Water Survival, it is based on viewing the videos as well as practice in the pool. In my experience there are few members currently qualified to oversee this training (to ensure it was carried out IAW CAP standards), at least in TX.

I know this because I organized WS training earlier this year for my squadron/ group at a local company that provides this type of training for the oil industry. (We are lucky like that here in TX) We had an awesome experience and the instructors were totally into making the training as specific for us as they could, even to the point of coming out during a SAREX to get hands familiarity with a C172 to make sure they were giving the best info possible. Must the simulator be a C172/182 airframe? No. Like was posted above, learning how to keep your head and follow the steps is the most important aspect. It could even help you in your car one day if you find yourself floating where one should not. Best news? The company did it for free, because they believed in CAP and what we do (after a lot of explanation and persuasion from yours truly). Hopefully our write up of the training will appear in either Wings Over TX or Volunteer Now soon.

If you are fortunate enough to be in an area with a private company that provides this type of training, reach out to then and see what they can do for you. You might be surprised. They do get to write it off on their taxes, so there is some win for them as well. For anybody in LA WG interested, I know this company also has a site there. PM me for contact info if interested.

BillB

Many of the airlines offered water survival training to CAP. Eastern Airlines when it was in business ran a Stewardess training program which included water survival. Delta Airlines also offered water survival training. Maybe Ned Lee or someone at National or Regional level can see if any airlines would still be interested in offering the training.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104