What counts as an ES Specialty?

Started by cadetchris, April 05, 2011, 02:02:54 AM

cadetchris

So, I know the regulation for the ES patch is you must have GES and at least 1 ES specialty. My question is, what counts as an ES specialty? I know about all of the pilot stuff like Mission Observer and stuff like that, but is it just Anything on the 101 card such as BCUT or IS-700? I am kinda confused here. Can anyone clarify this for a poor Master Sergeant such as myself?
     Thanks guys,
P.S Lets not start a war here about how the patch looks tacky and I shouldn't wear it and all of that shenanigans. Just a simple, to the point answer. Thanks for the help in advance.
C/SMSgt
Civil Air Patrol

davidsinn

Quote from: cadetchris on April 05, 2011, 02:02:54 AM

So, I know the regulation for the ES patch is you must have GES and at least 1 ES specialty. My question is, what counts as an ES specialty? I know about all of the pilot stuff like Mission Observer and stuff like that, but is it just Anything on the 101 card such as BCUT or IS-700? I am kinda confused here. Can anyone clarify this for a poor Master Sergeant such as myself?
     Thanks guys,
P.S Lets not start a war here about how the patch looks tacky and I shouldn't wear it and all of that shenanigans. Just a simple, to the point answer. Thanks for the help in advance.

It's easier to list what doesn't count. The IS and ICS courses do not count. B/ACUT do not count. CERT AFAIK doesn't count either since it's not a CAP course. SET does not count. Pretty much anything else will count.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

cadetchris

Darn. Those are the only 2 things I have. Lol.
C/SMSgt
Civil Air Patrol

davidsinn

Quote from: cadetchris on April 05, 2011, 02:27:31 AM
Darn. Those are the only 2 things I have. Lol.

UDF or FLM or MRO would be a good place for a cadet to start. Those have very little requirements as far as gear go. GTM needs a bit more gear but is also a good place to start. MSA is a useful qual as far as base staff goes.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

cadetchris

If I get any of those, it would be FLM. That is flight line marshalling, right? But even then, I am in a 10-15 cadet squadron with no plane. So could be hard to get. Thanks for quick reply man. Just got back from meeting.
C/SMSgt
Civil Air Patrol

BTCS1*

You are correct, that is flight line marshaling.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

cadetchris

:clap: Yay, At least I knew that.
C/SMSgt
Civil Air Patrol

Eclipse

It is neither IS-700 or BCUT.

It is (as some examples)

MSA
GTM
UDF
MRO
Scanner
Observer
Pilot

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

It's not perfect, but the sortie equivalency chart    http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/emergency_services/operations_support/education_and_training/sortie_equivalency.cfm    lists ES specialties.  It has some such as Resource Unit Leader that don't exist, and it shows GES as a specialty, which it isn't.  I would consider CERT a specialty, just to be nice.

The  drop down "Achievements" menu in Ops Quals for "Entry" or "Print Blank Worksheets" is a good, but again not perfect, list. Unlike the chart, it gives the abbreviation for each achievement/specialty. It shows the ICS classes as "tasks" separately from the "specialties." However, it lists the SMC and Inland SAR courses on the specialty side of the dividing line. I would not consider them ES specialties. They need to be below the line along with the ICS classes, since they too are classes, not specialties.

Mike

SarDragon

Regarding FLM, a first aid course is required, which may additionally limit your ability to qualify for that specialty. That's why mine expired.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JoeTomasone

Real simple: If you had to fill out a Specialty Qualification Training Record (SQTR) by performing tasks in the presence of someone who signed off that you performed them properly, it's a Specialty. 

More formally, this page contains a chart of the specialties (and who can supervise trainees, which is irrelevant to the discussion at hand but good to know).

http://capmembers.com/emergency_services/operations_support/education_and_training/qualified_supervisors.cfm

JeffDG

It almost sounds like if it shows on your 101 with an expiry date, it qualifies...

Can anyone think of any exceptions?

jks19714

Whatever happened to the radiological monitoring program?  I see that they still have the patch, but I can't seem to find any other materials on the subject.  When I checked last, there were 9 states/regions listed as rad monitoring capable.  What are they using for criteria and training?

I think that I might have been the last person to teach RADEF to the Delaware Wing, back when I was a volunteer (Deputy Ops Officer and RADEF Officer) at the state's EMA. 

-- john
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

Eclipse

Quote from: jks19714 on April 05, 2011, 07:25:58 PM
Whatever happened to the radiological monitoring program? 

We won the cold war.

There is no internal RAD MON program in CAP anymore.  The only way to earn the patch is to complete a state or FEMA RADMON class.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JeffDG on April 05, 2011, 05:46:36 PM
It almost sounds like if it shows on your 101 with an expiry date, it qualifies...

TMP?

JeffDG

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 05, 2011, 08:07:43 PM

TMP?
Does that count as an ES Specialty?  You're right...it doesn't get listed with an expiry date (even though it really does have one...your Form 5 expiry)...

Spaceman3750

Might be the discretion of the wing.

I personally don't like the patch and don't wear it.

manfredvonrichthofen

If I get a patch I just sew it onto my smoke jacket (field jacket liner) because I think that they are too much clutter for the uniform, but most of them look really nice, but just too much for the uniform. Keep it minimal on the BDUs with the required stuff and the squadron patch and your specialty badges. With so many patches everywhere it starts to look more like a boy scout uniform than a CAP uniform.

cadetchris

That's what I think. I would like to get some more people's input on this. It seems like what you said, But everyone else says otherwise, so I am divided. ???
C/SMSgt
Civil Air Patrol

Spaceman3750

Quote from: cadetchris on April 05, 2011, 08:46:10 PM

That's what I think. I would like to get some more people's input on this. It seems like what you said, But everyone else says otherwise, so I am divided. ???

Stop being divided and go get GTM3. You have a lot of good people in your wing, use your chain of command to ask for help.

cadetchris

C/SMSgt
Civil Air Patrol

Eclipse

Not 16 what.

It is not the discretion of the wing, a wing can only make regs tighter, not loosen them.  TMP is not a mission specialty that
qualifies for the ES patch, it is an offshoot of being a mission pilot to allow for non-ES pilots to move airplanes and
people in a mission.  You can't fly actual sorties, other than transport.

It has to have an SQTR, and you have to be fully qualified.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

QuoteSo, I know the regulation for the ES patch is you must have GES and at least 1 ES specialty. My question is, what counts as an ES specialty?

Here is the definitive answer to your question.

CAPR 60-3 para. 2-3(f) The following are the approved emergency services specialty qualifications above the GES level.
There are 41 qualifications listed, and IC and GTM only list one of the three levels possible.

Mike

cadetchris

Quote from: Eclipse on April 05, 2011, 09:23:31 PM
Not 16 what.
Not 16 years old.
Quote from: sardak on April 05, 2011, 11:02:19 PM
QuoteSo, I know the regulation for the ES patch is you must have GES and at least 1 ES specialty. My question is, what counts as an ES specialty?

Here is the definitive answer to your question.

CAPR 60-3 para. 2-3(f) The following are the approved emergency services specialty qualifications above the GES level.
There are 41 qualifications listed, and IC and GTM only list one of the three levels possible.

Mike
THANK YOU so much for this. This is what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.
C/SMSgt
Civil Air Patrol

davidsinn

Quote from: cadetchris on April 07, 2011, 03:03:01 AM
Not 16 what.
Not 16 years old.

You might not be able to go on a real mission but there is no age limit to being a qualified GTM.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

cap235629

Quote from: davidsinn on April 07, 2011, 03:04:32 AM
Not 16 what.
Not 16 years old.

You might not be able to go on a real mission but there is no age limit to being a qualified GTM.

Is this a new regulation I am unaware of or a local thing?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

davidsinn

Quote from: cap235629 on April 07, 2011, 03:11:50 AM
Not 16 what.
Not 16 years old.

I think it's a wing thing. Some wings restrict the ages that cadets may be utilized on missions.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Fubar

Quote from: cap235629 on April 07, 2011, 03:11:50 AM
Not 16 what.
Not 16 years old.

It's more of a gentlemen's agreement among GTL's. I've been told there are two reasons 1) Keeps the cadets from seeing anything "unpleasant" that may upset parents later 2) Ground teams often work at the pleasure of state or county SAR leaders who have suggested a van full of kids with one or two adults isn't the kind of help they're looking for (it's unfortunate it sounds like they base their opinion on appearances not performance - but then again, maybe performance is part of the problem).