Water Survival SQTR

Started by Flying Pig, March 21, 2011, 03:00:24 AM

ßτε

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 22, 2011, 01:13:34 AM
I tried inputting it into the SQTR but it wont even let me do it without a CAP ID of the instructor.
Try this:
Next to the Evaluator box is a magnifying glass icon. Click it and a dialog box should open.
Choose Other Organization at the top and put the pertinent information.

You will also probably need to upload a copy of your certificate.

SarDragon

On the flight suit thing, it appears that they are using the military model.

Here's the USN Aircrew swim qual to graduate from Aircrew School:

c.  Swim:

(1) 1 mile in flight suit in 80 minutes or less using sidestroke, breaststroke, or American crawl.

(2) 100 yards in full flight gear (flight suit, boots, helmet, gloves, and deflated life preserver) using each of the survival strokes for 25 yards (sidestroke, breaststroke, elementary backstroke, and American crawl), followed immediately by a 5-minute drown-proofing (face down prone float).
(3) In full flight gear, tread water for 2 minutes followed immediately by 3 minutes of drown-proofing.
(4) 200 yards (50 yards each breaststroke, elementary backstroke, sidestroke, and American crawl).
(5) Jump from a 12-foot tower and then swim 15 yards underwater wearing flight suit and boots using a modified breaststroke, immediately followed by floating using trouser inflation techniques.
(6) 75-yard flight equipment swim; 25 yards sidestroke; 25 yards breaststroke; 25 yards elementary backstroke; and 25 yards American crawl.

USN Aviator water survival skills:

• WS-1 - Intermediate Water Survival Training Program overview, course introduction, and swim familiarization. You will perform a 50 yard swim screen to determine your comfort level in the water and practice survival swim strokes.
  • WS-1a - Practice survival swim strokes.
  • WS-2 - Swim screen. Step off a 12 foot tower and swim 100 yards demonstrating 25 yards each of survival Breaststroke, Sidestroke, Elementary back, and American crawl.
  • WS-3 through WS-6 - Treading water and survival float. You will begin in bathing suit and built up to full flight gear.
  • WS-7 - Abandon Ship Drill. Step off a 12 foot tower and swim 15 yards underwater while wearing flight suit and boots. Perform submerge burning oil swim, four methods of trouser inflation, and a rough water swim.
  • WS-8 - Survival swim out test. The test will consist of swimming 200 yards continuously demonstrating the survival Breast stroke, Sidestroke, Elementary back, and American crawl strokes (50 yards each) in bathing suits. Perform a 75 yard swim with full flight gear utilizing the Breaststroke, Sidestroke, and Elementary back stroke.
  • WS-9 - Survival swim confidence and endurance test. Swim approximately one mile in a swimming pool in 80 minutes or less while wearing flight suits.

Even thought I swim like a rock, I don't think a 200 yd swim in a flight suit is unreasonable. Regular military flight crews have a much harder swim qual.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Heh, like a rock.. I know this may sound backwards, but I've actually had an easier time when I've done this stuff under those circumstances when we've done water survival in years past as a unit activity, vs. just swimming normally, which I suck at incredibly.