Water Survival SQTR

Started by Flying Pig, March 21, 2011, 03:00:24 AM

Flying Pig

I attended the Underwater Egress Course at Lemoore Naval Air Station as part of my training throught work.  We attended the full course and re-cert every 4 years.  Also qual'd as a Navy class 2 swimmer.  I have all of the documentation. 

Will that meet the requirements for the Water Survival SQTR?  Or do I have to do it in a lawn chair in someone backyard pool?

Flying Pig

Affirmative.  I see at the bottom where it says USCG or DoD equivelant is accepted.  Great.  Ill submit it then. 

Captain Morgan

I always wondered if the Water Survival Course offered at the ALEA Regional Safety Seminars would qualify ...
Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
AL3, AOBD, GTM3, IC3, IO, LO, MP, MSO
KY Wing Government Relations Officer
Blue Grass Senior Squadron ES Officer
Lexington, KY

a2capt

Submit a question and see if it floats...

Flying Pig

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 21, 2011, 12:16:19 PM
I always wondered if the Water Survival Course offered at the ALEA Regional Safety Seminars would qualify ...

That one is pretty cheesy

Flying Pig

Quote from: a2capt on March 21, 2011, 05:53:44 PM
Submit a question and see if it floats...

Any idea who I submit it to?

a2capt

Quote from: the bottom of that page linked aboveAdditional questions and suggestions can be raised to HQ CAP/DO.
..but the National Roster doesn't have a name, just "do@capnhq.gov"..

Ed Bos

That would probably be appropriate to run up the Emergency Services channels, through Wing and Region to the Operations Support folks at NHQ. That way everybody sees the question and the answer.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Ed Bos

Quote from: a2capt on March 21, 2011, 09:59:51 PM
Quote from: the bottom of that page linked aboveAdditional questions and suggestions can be raised to HQ CAP/DO.
..but the National Roster doesn't have a name, just "do@capnhq.gov"..

The CAP/CAP-USAF phonebook is in eServices on the left side, & contact information is in there, though it's marked for CAP use only. There's also a NHQ contact page on the public National Website if someone feels the need to get in touch directly for future issues.

I still recommend letting the other echelons in the organization field the question though.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Flying Pig

Quote from: Ed Bos on March 21, 2011, 10:00:57 PM
That would probably be appropriate to run up the Emergency Services channels, through Wing and Region to the Operations Support folks at NHQ. That way everybody sees the question and the answer.

OK, Ill start with Wing ES and let it run.

SarDragon

You could always throw it up on the Knowledgebase. If their A-list doesn't have an answer, they farm it out to the volunteer structure, who usually give good feedback.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

OK, I think I submitted it the the Knowledge base.  Do you send it to the Knowledge Base manager?  I didnt see any "Submit Question" icon?

I tried inputting it into the SQTR but it wont even let me do it without a CAP ID of the instructor.

a2capt

I usually use the knowledgebase route myself, as I have found that "running it up the chain" usually results in opinion instead of an answer, and most of the time they just do nothing.  Since the lower ones don't write the regulations, I think it's best to seek clarification from the source, not interpretation from below. After all, the channels are there and where indicated that questions/contact submissions are not out of line, so.. Why not use them?

Flying Pig

Thats what I thought too.  So is that how you submit the question....Knowledge Base Manager icon at the bottom?

a2capt

Well, a knowledgebase search on "water survival" brings up a statement thats closed by the comment on that other page we looked at, and the KB entry also refers to that page, which refers any questions to NHQ/DO.

So..

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/capnhq.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2218

"Ask a question..." at the top, after you create an acct./login you'll have the link, and it will send you your question submission and the replies that it gets along the way.

You can also click the "notify me" button on any topic and if they are revised, you get a hit back on it.

Flying Pig

OK dude...I SWEAR the "ask a question" icon wasnt there earlier!  At any rate.....submitted properly now.  Thanks.

RiverAux

Quote from: ß τ ε on March 21, 2011, 03:13:05 AM
Does it meet the requirements listed here?
http://capmembers.com/emergency_services/operations_support/education_and_training/water_survival.cfm
Interesting that the draft guidelines expect you to do a swim test in a flight suit -- which is not a required item to be worn while in a CAP aircraft.  What about those golf shirt pilots?

I know I wouldn't want to swim 200 yards wearing an already inflated life jacket (well, they say you can partially deflate it for the test, but even so that would not be fun). 

Flying Pig

Backstroke and side stroke.  Thats what I did.  They probably want you to do it in the heaviest gear we wear.  If you can do it in a flightsuit, you can definitely do it in the polo.  Although, with pants, you can take them off and use them as a flotation device.  But then when you get rescued, you lose massive cool points.

MikeD

Quote from: RiverAux on March 22, 2011, 02:46:35 AM
Quote from: ß τ ε on March 21, 2011, 03:13:05 AM
Does it meet the requirements listed here?
http://capmembers.com/emergency_services/operations_support/education_and_training/water_survival.cfm
Interesting that the draft guidelines expect you to do a swim test in a flight suit -- which is not a required item to be worn while in a CAP aircraft.  What about those golf shirt pilots?

I know I wouldn't want to swim 200 yards wearing an already inflated life jacket (well, they say you can partially deflate it for the test, but even so that would not be fun).

That's pretty long, much longer then I had to swim for USAF water survival.  I wonder where they got that number from.