Nevada Green Flag West Squadron

Started by Short Field, February 19, 2010, 02:53:12 AM

Short Field

Just saw where Nevada Wing has created a senior squadron just for people to fly the Surrogate Predator mission.  How many of you are joining it?
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

I guess they don't have to worry about losing "their" airplane. 

lordmonar

Quote from: Short Field on February 19, 2010, 02:53:12 AM
Just saw where Nevada Wing has created a senior squadron just for people to fly the Surrogate Predator mission.  How many of you are joining it?
It is even worse than that.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Let's see...

Its Nevada, so I'll put my money on the table and place a bet.

They are simply recruiting active USAF personnel to join CAP to fly the missions, rather than training and utilizing "regular" volunteers.

Close?

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Wow.  A CAP Sq where the focus on ONE very specialized mission.  Interesting.  I didnt realize that was the intent of any Sq.?

lordmonar

They are not even going to fly the SUAV mission.  They are forming the squadron to just give the AD/RES UAV pilots a chance to fly for cheap/free in CAP aircraft!

Short Field

Except they just had a bunch of non-military pilots transfer into it from the other squadrons.  Sounds like a real GOB flying unit.
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on February 19, 2010, 06:30:25 AM
They are not even going to fly the SUAV mission.  They are forming the squadron to just give the AD/RES UAV pilots a chance to fly for cheap/free in CAP aircraft!

I guess I should have taken the under.  Wonders never cease... 

"That Others May Zoom"

MikeD

So does this mean don't hold my breath related to my acceptance for this program?

FARRIER

I thought this is what on-base flying clubs were for?
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

DG

How can we learn more details on this?

Real deal, specific details.

A squadron such as this is just what we are looking for / needing here.

And will advance the aviation program.

Short Field

Maybe Lordmonar has more details.  I heard about it from a friend who didn't believe it.  According to him, there has been no announcements from the wing king about a new squadron.  I check the wing's squadrons in eservices and sure enough Nevada had just added a new one.  That makes the 8th squadron in the Las Vegas area.  I wonder if it is going to be the 4th squadron that meets at the North Las Vegas Airport?
Wilson #2640

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Al Sayre

Before I read anything nefarious into this I might consider that they are consolidating all of the participating personnel into a single squadron to make it easier to do the Ops Quals and other paperwork that seems to constantly arise.  The aircraft requires a completely separate form 5/91 due to the airframe changes etc.  I have one of my members participating in LA, and I'm constantly having to go in an approve or re-approve something to do with his GF quals.  Some of the IP's and CP's are not even from my region and it makes it a bit of a pain.  Having everyone in a single squadron would lessen the workloads of several Squadron ESO's & CC's.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

flyguy06

Have they already started the Predetor training?

RiverAux

Hmm, reminds me of our special tow target and coastal patrol units in WWII, except those apparently answerable to NHQ rather than the Wings they resided in (Exactly how that relationship worked would be an interesting historical study, but I doubt records exist to support one). 

Thom

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 20, 2010, 11:38:23 PM

The SP program has been running for a few months now.

They even considered deploying an aircraft to Haiti in the wake of the recent earthquake, though the idea wasn't actually implemented.

So, yes, training has been going on for a while.

Thom

lordmonar

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 20, 2010, 11:38:23 PM
Yes....they have had several training cycles in LAWG.  NVWG gets their plane in April/May and we start our training sometime after that.

blackrain

I guess this is a consolation prize for all those non-volled (spelling?) pilots who got stuck flying UAVs.

You know 10 years ago you were considered in the AF flying community as second class by SOME (I emphasize SOME) if you flew anything other than fighter aircraft. Now they're forming a "squadron" so AF Pilots can fly single engine piston aircraft which i bet at one time would have been beneath them.

Funny how times have changed.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Flying Pig

I would be interested in seeing who joins that particular Sq.  I have a feeling most sorties are going to be filled by guys who do guess what for a living in their day job?  I heard that the program prevents military predator crews from flying the missions, but I imagine nothing says military predator crews can join CAP and do it in their "off" time.

How 'bout CAWG create a squadron only for people who fly CD?  That would be cool.  We could have a secret compound with razor wire and only depart under cover of darkness with no aircraft lights.

Now in all fairness, Im assuming any CAP could join that unit correct?  Or is it somehow restricted to only people accepted the predator program?