Boy in balloon floating over Fort Collins Colorado

Started by disamuel, October 15, 2009, 07:01:18 PM

Smithsonia

^^^^  Ah yes Pingree- I saw the story on TV and failed to pick up that it was Pueblo, not Ft. Collins. So I need to insult Pueblo AND Ft. Collins. Sorry my mistake. Happy Halloween to the Crazy/Odd/Sick populace of CO/WG Groups Two and Three from the folks of Group One.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Smithsonia on October 23, 2009, 11:49:41 PM
I am relatively certain the end of times (or perhaps Halloween) has begun early and surprisingly enough in Denver Colorado, actually an hour north in Ft. Collins. Balloon Boy is there! There's a crazier story from Ft Collins today: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13626909

So while San Francisco used to be the Capital Crazy of the Country and Boulder was the Crazy Capital of Colorado... it looks like Ft. Collins is a winner and at least weekly champs for the last 14 days.

So Wuzafuzz - Group One wishes Group 2 - Happy Halloween (or perhaps the "best" end of times)
Hoo boy!  That's quite a story.

Incidentally, I learned the Balloon Boy balloon flew right over my office shortly before it made the news.  Had I realized the flight path took it my way I could have shot it down with the computer chip in my brain.  Apparently the voices in my head were silent on that issue.   Where's my foil hat with CAP logo on it?
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

a2capt

Okay, so...

[img alt=]http://captalk.net/MGalleryItem.php?id=63[/img]

Thats what it was all about.

jimmydeanno

Parents are awaiting sentencing and are facing jail time, repayment of search costs and the forfeiture of any monies made as a result of their exploitation and criminal behaviors...

http://www.wmur.com/news/22042572/detail.html

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Gunner C

I only saw if briefly, but I believe the father got 90 days w/four years probation; mom got 20 days/two years probation.  Like I said, I didn't take any notes.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Gunner C on December 23, 2009, 06:34:36 PM
I only saw if briefly, but I believe the father got 90 days w/four years probation; mom got 20 days/two years probation.  Like I said, I didn't take any notes.

They also aren't allowed to profit from the incident for four years.

He serves 30 days starting on the 11th of January, and 60 days will be work release. Mother will serve after he is done, with the option to split it up, say into 10 weekends.

EMT-83

... after all, someone needs to stay home and properly supervise the children.

Smithsonia

Unfortunately, "Lust for Fame" has become a new kind of criminal intention. With these people an example must be made. Otherwise, the spotlight grabbing wannabee celebs will send the do-gooders scurrying off in all directions. I can't help but think there is soon to be a real emergency that some otherwise diligent 911 Operator will miss-read as a hoax. Someone will die. The operator will be fired. The Balloon Boy Parents are to blame. That is bad for all of us.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Smithsonia on December 23, 2009, 08:19:55 PM
Unfortunately, "Lust for Fame" has become a new kind of criminal intention. With these people an example must be made. Otherwise, the spotlight grabbing wannabee celebs will send the do-gooders scurrying off in all directions. I can't help but think there is soon to be a real emergency that some otherwise diligent 911 Operator will miss-read as a hoax. Someone will die. The operator will be fired. The Balloon Boy Parents are to blame. That is bad for all of us.

Sorta like the people who attended that formal at the White House or that peeping Tom with that sportscaster?

Major Lord

Fox news said that the FAA is considering fines of up to $11,000 for "operating an unauthorized aircraft".  There are a bunch of people including a farmer with a trashed wheat field standing in line for compensation and fines. My question is, aside from the question of this being a hoax insofar as the claim of a child on board, how is it different than any other meteorological balloon launch? Is it just because there was not a NOTAM? I am not asking this because I think we should show mercy to them ( In fact, I think removing their organs and leaving them in a bathtub filled with ice would be a bit overly permissive)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

flyguy06

I honestly dont think it would have been made this big a deal if CN hadnt picked up the story and followed it relentlessly. Like was said earlier weather baloons do this all the time and nobody makes a big deal about it.

Smithsonia

Balloon Boy's dad was on Larry King tonight. He recanted his confession and stated it was NOT a hoax. OK here an unofficial suggestion -
Let's get the "Stolen Valor" pretender from another thread - to respond to the Henne's emergency calls from now on in.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

DG

Quote from: Smithsonia on January 07, 2010, 05:21:57 AM
Balloon Boy's dad was on Larry King tonight. He recanted his confession and stated it was NOT a hoax.

Another example of the fact that,

in today's culture,

there is no such thing as "bad" publicity.

Next thing, this guy will be elected to public office, or get a multimillion dollar contract on a reality TV show.

PHall

Quote from: DG on January 07, 2010, 02:10:27 PM
Quote from: Smithsonia on January 07, 2010, 05:21:57 AM
Balloon Boy's dad was on Larry King tonight. He recanted his confession and stated it was NOT a hoax.

Another example of the fact that,

in today's culture,

there is no such thing as "bad" publicity.

Next thing, this guy will be elected to public office, or get a multimillion dollar contract on a reality TV show.

Of course he'll do all of this AFTER he completes his jail term. He's still a convicted criminal.

Майор Хаткевич

Can't profit from this incident for 4 years though.

Pumbaa

if only people would ignore these attention whores....

Spike

^ I blame the short attention spans of the American Citizen.  Our country is slowly turning into a populace of needful, adrenaline seeking immature halfwits. 

These "parents" knew how to get attention, and make money off of a crime, that is a national joke now.  They are attention seeking felons, that should never be allowed within 3 feet of a child under the age of 18 again. The punishment they received was neither sever enough or just.

If this were a perfect world, the parents would lose everything they ever had and sent to a mental institution, clearly not sane enough for society. 

I expect the family to make millions from either a book deal or a made for TV movie on Lifetime.  "Balloon Boy" will forever be a side note in American history right underneath the paragraph on the American Economical collapse of the early Twenty-First Century. 

flyguy06

If the news media hadnt picked the story up it wouldnt have been that big a deal.

Smithsonia

Flyguyo6;
^^^^I think you could say that about every story.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

DG

Balloon Boy Dad was on NBC Today show this morning.

It was not a hoax.

Absolutely not.

The local sheriff was persecuting him.

Because he is up for election in two years.

It was not a hoax.

Absolutely not.