What headsets do you use when flying???

Started by Pumbaa, November 28, 2008, 03:27:49 PM

Pumbaa

I'd like to hear from others as to what headsets they use.  What they like and what they dislike.  If you could include the purchase price that would be great.

I flew over 50 hours this summer on CD missions alone.  Add in another 15 hours for training and SAR missions.  I had a good year.  Next season I plan on doing 100 hours CD.  So I wanted to get a new set of headsets for comfort and better noise reduction.

I currently use the Peltor Nordica's  I got them for about $110.  I can jack in my cell phone and my satellite radio(iPods too) into them.  Sound quality is OK, a little hollow sounding, noise deadening is Okay as well, NRR 23 dB.  Comfort 9.8 ounces... is fair to middling, I will be adding a sheepskin panel to the top band.  Built very rugged.. I have owned regular Peltor ear protectors for shooting, etc... so these are built just like them.

I want to keep these as a back-up once I get my new ones.

Today (11/28) I got a great deal on active noise canceling headset.  Brand new from ProTravel gear... for under $100 due to a 40% discount they were offering. And I believe they priced them wrong as they were listed on the main page for $499...  After I spoke to the owner they raised the price on the website!  Looks like I did a great deal!

20Hz – 600Hz Attenuation Capability: 18 – 21dB on the active.  Passive is supposed to be 36-42 dB.  In other words pretty quiet!!!  Will let you know how they feel etc. when I get them..

Eclipse

Old Dave Clark's which are spares in the airplane.

I keep meaning to get my own, but as an active GIB, I still don't really fly enough to justify the expense when there's a good pair waiting for me.

"That Others May Zoom"

Trung Si Ma

Bose for me, my old DC 13.4's for the passenger.  I'll probable add a second Bose this next year
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

O-Rex

My trusty veteran Mil David Clark H10-76 with GA Adapter. It's been been updated and tricked-out with undercut gel earseals, the split headpad (they installed them when I sent it back to DC for overhaul-their cust service it great!) and modified with an aftermarket ANR kit from anrheadsets.com, and all mil-spec hardware to include mike boom and all-metal metal mount (standard DC rigid boom does not have a fully articulating ball-and-socket swivel) and a lip-light (there's nothing like having a friend who works in an Army or AF life support shop: a case of beer goes a long way!) 

I thought about getting a Bose X or DC X-11, but I'm really attached to my old one: it's reliable, comfy, sweet and has sentimental value. 

Climbnsink

An old pair of DC 10-86's with plug adapter or an even older pair of telex E-952's kinda sputnik-esque but they still work, are light and were a gift from my Dad in 1985.   I have no problem using whatever is in the plane and sometimes don't bother switching out CAP's DCs.

Pylon

Sigtronics S40

They do a decent enough job for a non-pilot type.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Pumbaa

I guess I am a Felix Unger... I could never use someone else's headphones.  Just the thought that their mouth was on the mic... and sweat on the ear and head pieces...

Short Field

Lightspeed 20 3G ANRs.  Great headset but I am upgrading to the Lightspeed Zulu headset for Christmas.   ;D
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

dbarbee

I have the Lightspeed Zulu ($850)

ANR, VERY comfortable, bluetooth and cable interfaces for cell phone & MP3 player.
Daniel Barbee 2d Lt
CAP Pilot / TMP / MS / MO / MP (Trainee)
Council Oak Senior Squadron Tulsa, OK-125
Okahoma Wing / Southwest Region

MSgt Van

O-Rex

Quote from: Pumbaa on November 28, 2008, 06:20:43 PM
I guess I am a Felix Unger... I could never use someone else's headphones.  Just the thought that their mouth was on the mic... and sweat on the ear and head pieces...

I'm kinda picky too, on the very few occasions I lend my headset out, I have cloth earseal covers (I always have a spare) and alcohol wipes for the mic.

bosshawk

Have flown with the Bose for the past two years: wouldn't go into an airplane without it.  Had a Lightspeed 25(?) before that: no comparison, Bose is on a level by itself.  Had Peltors for about 15 years and they were(are)better than the Lightspeed.  I have all four in my airplane: palm the other three off to pax.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SilverEagle2

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

KyCAP

Had a pair of David Clark's that were non-ENR and now own Bose.   Never worn another set of ENR headphones.   So, I don't know if it is "Bose" or just "ENR", but that's the way to go (keep spare batteries or change regularly).
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Pumbaa

Seems Bose is the popular one.

So I guess indirectly you are saying they are worth the $1000 price?  Compared to the ones that are around $500 is there that much of a difference?

Also, those of you using the Bose are you pilots or just aircrew?  I think that would also make a difference considering that you are in the cockpit a lot more that typical aircrew.

isuhawkeye

In short YES.

as a pilot who had been out of the seat for a few years I was looking to replace my old headset.  My father in law has two bose headsets.  They are the best headset I have ever warn.  Unfortunately the price tag is a little steep for my budget.  I ended up getting the DC 10-13.4 which has been a great headset for me. 

dbarbee

I've used both Bose and Lightspeed Zulu on long trips. I found them to be very comparable in comfort, sound quality, and noise reduction. The only thing that tipped me toward the Zulu's is the bluetooth interface and the slightly lower price.
Daniel Barbee 2d Lt
CAP Pilot / TMP / MS / MO / MP (Trainee)
Council Oak Senior Squadron Tulsa, OK-125
Okahoma Wing / Southwest Region

airdale

http://www.clarityaloft.com/

They are competitive with ANR sets at lower frequencies and much better across the spectrum.    This is important because the frequencies associated with speech recognition are out of the band where ANR is effective.   They are so lightweight you don't even know you're wearing them.  The audio quality is simply stunning.  ATC is much easier to understand.  "30 day Money-back warranty. If you are not satisfied with your headset for any reason, return it in good condition for a full refund of your purchase price."

Pumbaa

Interesting... the Clarity's look a lot like my Solitude earphones (Listening to my satellite radio only) I use while flying commercial passenger or mowing the yard .  They have 36dB noise reduction.  Soft cell ear piece that pushes into the ear.  Sound quality is excellent and they are inexpensive technology.  Replace the ear piece when it gets grungy.

I am surprised at the price of the Clarity's though.  $500- $700 for a non ANR headset.  I could build a set of those for under $100.

airdale

Quotemy Solitude earphones ...I use while flying commercial passenger ... have 36dB noise reduction.

Yes.  I have these:  http://www.complyintheear.com/noise-reduction-earphones/nr-10-noise-reduction-earphones/  I think some of the attenuation numbers are liar's poker but the attenuation on mine is so good that I don't hear the cabin announcements.  Which was not the case when I used hard-plastic custom molded earplugs.

QuoteI am surprised at the price of the Clarity's though.  $500- $700 for a non ANR headset.  I could build a set of those for under $100.

It looks that way, doesn't it?  I know a little more about the headset than is published.  The "speakers" were developed by a hearing aid company and one of their major applications is army helicopter pilot headsets.  The noise canceling mic is the same one used in high-end/high fidelity stage mics for entertainers.  Those components are the key to the high quality sound and they for sure can't be bought for under $100.

All that said, here is an interesting post: http://www.cozy1200.com/geeklog/article.php?story=20070427102533266