New Summer Flight Uniform

Started by DG, July 25, 2008, 12:45:22 PM

DG

Thank You to our National Leaders who are doing some great work, in respect to caring for our aircrews flying in the summer heat.   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

If things go well at the National Board, we may be authorized to wear a New Summer Flight Uniform.

Blue golf shirt and khaki shorts.  White socks and white tennis shoes.

This is great news.  It was only last week that I had to accompany my copilot to the ER when he became ill while on a mission in the GA-8 with a temperature dew point of 35 / 33.

Talk to your Wing CC and Region CC and express your request for their support in approving this change at the National Board Meeting and Conference in Florida. 

BillB

What???? Your C=172 doesn't have air conditioning???
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Dad2-4

I'm confused. The temperature was 35 deg. Fahrenheit, and the co-pilot got ill? ???

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

mikeylikey

Where are all the safety/ fire Nazis??  I would think the majority of posts by now would be fire risks, and "retardedness" of this proposed uniform.

NOTE:.....I agree with this move!  It is about time.  I just hope they word it right, so that Wing and Region Commanders have no say in implementation.  It should be crew and PIC decision ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What's up monkeys?

isuhawkeye

lol...  you have got to be kidding me.

I thought that since you guys removed your CC you wouldn't have wild uniform changes any more

will shorts now be on the ORM mission check list?

WT

Temperature / dew point spreads are given in Celcius.  ICAO standard.

This would be excellent, but I'll believe it when I see it.  Hopefully it will truly be a "summer" uniform, and not be only allowed under certain, numerous, onerous, regulated conditions.  In other words, I for one, hope 60-1 doesn't increase by anymore than on simple sentence!

I hope it happens, it certainly is about time!

IceNine

Quote from: BillB on July 25, 2008, 12:58:51 PM
What???? Your C=172 doesn't have air conditioning???

Doesn't matter it was a GA-8 in question
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Short Field

I'd vote for that!!!  Just soaked a flight suit yesterday working on touch and go's.   That is also similiar to what the aircrews wear at NESA.

Wonder how long the "NOMEX flight suit" purists will keep wearing flight suites if they can wear shorts!
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Capt Rivera

was the person who got taken to the ER properly hydrated?

sorry to be the devils advacate but...

are there any downsides to this "uniform"?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

IceNine

^ nope its perfect

Civilian pilots hop into cockpits with shorts, and flipflops, and tanktops

The reality of the matter is the risk of a cockpit catching on fire, is very low and there are checklists for such a thing.

I would say there is more of a danger in having pilots sipped up in a zoom bag and becoming disoriented than there is with them wearing shorts and polo's.

Sure nomex is fire retardant but so is the firewall

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Capt Rivera

Quote from: IceNine on July 25, 2008, 07:21:57 PM
^ nope its perfect

i guess i was referring mostly to mission aircrew on an actual mission. might they be in any more danger by wearing shorts vs the grey pants or flight suite that can already be worn?

why not just wear the grey pants? Do we pilots(Aircrew) just need to have a uniform that no one else can wear?  [visible show of how special we are]

whats with the white socks and white tennis shews... seriously... sounds like this is something someone should be wearing to a golf course.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

IceNine

As long as they require velcro on the shoes I don't see any issue.

At least this way there is no trip hazard

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

cap801

This is so unbelievably awesome.  If anyone tries to say this is a bad thing, I personally invite you to come fly with me at 1000' AGL on a 100+ F day out here in the desert Southwest with a flight suit on and see if you have the same opinion of the new uniform afterward.

Quote from: isuhawkeye on July 25, 2008, 02:29:36 PM
lol...  you have got to be kidding me.

I thought that since you guys removed your CC you wouldn't have wild uniform changes any more

will shorts now be on the ORM mission check list?

Uhhhhhh...since when are shorts a "wild uniform change?"  Not that this would matter since you aren't in CAP (which raises the whole question of why you waste your time on these boards), but you don't own a pair of khaki shorts?

BigMojo

Can we get it as a UDF uniform as well? It's just as hot, if not hotter on the ground in South Florida in summer when there's no breeze....

(NOTE: I said UDF...not Ground Team, you won't catch me in the 'glades w/o boots, long trousers and long sleeves....)
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

BigMojo

Quote from: jayburns22 on July 25, 2008, 09:01:47 PM
Not that this would matter since you aren't in CAP

Pretty sure isuhawkeye is in CAP...
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

BuckeyeDEJ

Oh, great, golf shirts. As if we don't already have the perception of being a flying club.

"Summer" flying uniform means "all year long" in Florida. This isn't helpful, at least not as we try to sell the organization as a group of professionals, and as the Air Force's "uniformed" civilian auxiliary. When people think "uniformed," they don't think of something that looks like it could be found at T.J. Maxx.

Answer: Don't wear a three-piece suit under your Nomex, and you won't get hot.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

flyerthom

Quote from: jayburns22 on July 25, 2008, 09:01:47 PM
This is so unbelievably awesome.  If anyone tries to say this is a bad thing, I personally invite you to come fly with me at 1000' AGL on a 100+ F day out here in the desert Southwest with a flight suit on and see if you have the same opinion of the new uniform afterward.

I do as a flight nurse in Southern NV & western AZ.  It's easier to rehydrate than burn.

http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/564017039BSTyhh

We flew the survivor of the burnt out car carrier to the burn center in Vegas. He was an approximately 55 year old African American male wearing a tank top, shorts and boots. He had second degree burns and blistering to his face, upper arms, chest, lower legs to his boot tops. The areas covered by shorts boots and cloth were burn free. His legs and forearms were burnt and blistered  white.  Even long pants would have reduced his injuries and a teeshirt or work shirt would have reduced them further.

One would think a truck cab would be less of a risk than an airplane.
TC

Eclipse

This is not on my "good idea" list, either.  Most professional aircrews wear flightsuits no matter the weather, you won't see USAF or Lifeflight guys in shorts.

The fudge-factor is the worst part - its already started in this thread and the uniform isn't even approved yet.

You'll start with sharp-looking, clean, appropriate uniforms, and by the time you're done, you will have UDF guys in black socks and flip flops.

As per usual, this could be handled as a local supplement where needed.  It doesn't need to be a national uniform.

Besides, this is a safety issue, because the white flesh of most of our members will be blinding in the sun.  :D

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2008, 10:15:43 PM
Most professional aircrews wear flightsuits no matter the weather, you won't see USAF or Lifeflight guys in shorts.

Does that statement include Airline Pilots and CFIs?  I see a lot of white shirts and slacks around the local airfields.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640