WMIRS 2.0 Rollout Plan?

Started by bigfootpilot, June 24, 2014, 01:47:42 PM

disamuel

Where is the flight release module? I also don't see where in an air sortie the FRO can be selected.

Spaceman3750

I must be missing out on the party - I see no change.

Eclipse

Maybe hit refresh in your browser?

I can't say anything about the technical issues, but the interface matches eServices now and and
the mission list scales to your screen size.

Should be pretty obvious.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 02, 2014, 12:10:18 AM
Might be using an old link.  Go in eServices under Operations there's a WMIRS 2.0 link.

bigfootpilot

Here's the link to go directly to the new system: https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.eServices.Web/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fwmirs%2fdefault.aspx

There's a link on the "Air Sortie Update" page to "Request Flight Release Officer(s)"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JeffDG on October 02, 2014, 12:26:41 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 02, 2014, 12:10:18 AM
Might be using an old link.  Go in eServices under Operations there's a WMIRS 2.0 link.

Yup, I was logging in directly to https://missions.capnhq.gov

Weird, I selected a mission then hit the operations log, and when I hit ground sorties it threw an error. Then when I tried to select channel plan I had to re-select the mission, and then after that the ground sorties screen worked.

Overall I like it, but we're going to start discovering lots of bugs as it goes through the wringer and users should be prepared to report it and work around, not scream and b***** as is the CAP standard.

disamuel

Quote from: bigfootpilot on October 02, 2014, 12:31:25 AM
Here's the link to go directly to the new system: https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.eServices.Web/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fwmirs%2fdefault.aspx

There's a link on the "Air Sortie Update" page to "Request Flight Release Officer(s)"

I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing it. Under "Operations" I select "Air Sorties" and once I select a mission symbol I get to the "Air Sortie Add/Edit" screen, but I don't see an FRO section, or even a crew list for that matter.

Storm Chaser

Apparently there's an issue with the flight release function in WMIRS 2.0. Our wing just instructed FROs to complete flight releases using a CAPF 99 until this issue is resolved.

sparks

Several features found in 1.0 are missing. The FRO page has been mentioned but the aircraft maintenance module, pilot and aircraft activity and utilization are a few itmes absent. 1.0 is still available but apparently missions aren't cross populating from 2.0. Anyone hear about what the plans are for 1.0 and the missing features?

jayleswo

If you open the Air sorties page there is a link at the bottom of the sortie list for Release Flights. I haven't actually released a flight using this feature but the functionality is there, just not in the menu on the left. IIRC you can release flights the same way in WMIRS 1.

What issue did you encounter trying to release a flight, curious?
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

sparks

I haven't tried to release a flight yet. WMIRS 1.0 has a menu for e-flight releases with a section for FROs. An FRO can check his open requests or all open request for his respective wing. I didn't see that feature in WMIRS 2.0 . That is why I asked if anyone kows where it might be in 2.0 if it is there at all.

Thanks

Eclipse

Considering we're at day-2 of the new FY, and no one has any money yet, there won't be a lot of releases to worry about.

A few, yes, but not enough to bring the universe to a halt.

"That Others May Zoom"

sparks

Just tried to log in to release a C8 flight. The release log-in asked for my CAP number and a PIN. I don't know what the PIN could be. The last 4 numbers of the social used to be used so I tried that. The system burped and failed so I don't know if it was correct or their way of saying "go fish"!. I guess we are still going to do verbal release with paper back ups.

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2014, 10:44:25 PM
Considering we're at day-2 of the new FY, and no one has any money yet, there won't be a lot of releases to worry about.

A few, yes, but not enough to bring the universe to a halt.

What do you mean there's no money, Congress passed and the President signed a CR.

Eclipse

Yes, there's no appropriation issues this year, but until it's in the wing accounts, it might as well be fairy dust.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

I checked yesterday and we have a small drop of A9 money, but that's it.  Nothing for A5s or A15s

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

CAWG has created a WMIRS 2.0 support site that you are welcome to peruse at http://wiki.cawgcap.org/viewforum.php?f=5

Any comments feel free to PM me.

vento

Quote from: sparks on October 02, 2014, 11:31:32 PM
Just tried to log in to release a C8 flight. The release log-in asked for my CAP number and a PIN. I don't know what the PIN could be. The last 4 numbers of the social used to be used so I tried that. The system burped and failed so I don't know if it was correct or their way of saying "go fish"!. I guess we are still going to do verbal release with paper back ups.

Now it is officially the last 4 digits of the SSN. I just released a sortie without any major heartburn. But I hope that they will soon implement the system like it used to do in wMIRS 1.0, where the FRO gets an e-mail notification when there is a pending sortie for release. In my case I didn't know I was asked to release a flight until the pilot called me.

RwyX

WMIRS 2.0 is a disaster.  As a software engineer I would not have rolled this out for months.  It is very unreliable and unpredictable.  Entered data such as start/stop hobbs times are being switched.  Flight releases are issued and then disappear upon debrief data entry.  There is no legitimate software trouble reporting system to track and close out problems.  I know high school kids who code better than this.  Double booking of aircraft is allowed. No email notice to pilots on flight release.  Maintenance  and Ops officers I know have created their own tools such as spreadsheets to track maintenance hours and aircraft location.  O-flights are not being released because 2.0 says the Cadets are over 18 yo (when they are actually 13 or 14 yo).  2.0 has caused and will continue to cause much wasted time by members.  The release problems could become a serious issue in an accident for insurance coverage.  In my opinion the software should be pulled from use and worked on by professionals before further use.  Sorry to be so critical but I'm stunned to see this release and wonder who is the developer.  Is it being done in house or by a contractor? 

JeffDG

In house.

And, to hear NHQ tell it, it's such a critical system that they cannot allow any third party access to it.

Heck, give me some specs, and we could run a SourceForge project with volunteers across the country and knock out something better, more reliable, and easier to use in less time than they'll take to get reports turned on.