Amazon planning to use drones for local deliveries

Started by Eclipse, December 02, 2013, 03:38:08 PM

Eclipse

Featured on 60 minutes last night:

"...can't be before 2015..." Which says to me "...look to 2016..."

http://www.amazon.com/b?ref_=tsm_1_tw_s_amzn_mx3eqp&node=8037720011&tag=technabob1-20

Amazon's Jeff Bezos looks to the future

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Both intriguing and creepy at the same time.

I wonder what the range on those things are.

EDIT: According to the vid, that generation drone has a round-trip range of ten miles.

TexasCadet

What is the benefit of using a drone that can carry fewer packages over a truck that can carry many more? Plus, what if some decides to "rob" it? All they have to do is shoot or hijack the signal. Also, this would not work in big cities. Too many people, tall buildings, and birds.

Edited for grammar.

a2capt

Eclipse

Quote from: TexasCadet on December 02, 2013, 03:48:44 PM
What is the benefit of using a drone that can carry fewer packages over a truck that can carry many more? Plus, what if some decides to "rob" it? All they have to do is shoot or hijack the signal. Also, this would not work in big cities. Too many people, tall buildings, and birds.

Edited for grammar.

Did you watch the video? (The full Amazon feature is an eye-opener as well.)

The idea here is to place their fulfillment centers all over the US so that most people can be serviced within that 10-mile (sure to grow) radius.   Also, ~85% of their current products could be shipped using the existing devices, with a 30-minute delivery time.

That's HUGE!

Not to mention that these devices are way less expensive then a person, and can fly essentially "line of sight".

Heavy urban areas? Not sure.  Suburban areas with single-family homes and townhouses?  No problem.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Even if the delivery address is out of range of an airborne drone, don't forget that they've been working on autonomous car vehicle technology for a while now.  I wonder how long before that gets rolled out (pun not intended).

So, what the Amazon Air Drone may not be able to reach, the Amazon Robo-Truck will.  Definitely cool stuff.

Garibaldi

Is anyone else concerned that Skynet is plotting its takeover?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Al Sayre

Quote from: Panache on December 02, 2013, 05:40:47 PM
Even if the delivery address is out of range of an airborne drone, don't forget that they've been working on autonomous car vehicle technology for a while now.  I wonder how long before that gets rolled out (pun not intended).

So, what the Amazon Air Drone may not be able to reach, the Amazon Robo-Truck will.  Definitely cool stuff.

I think Jesse James built a prototype for the Robo Truck on Monster Garage a few years ago...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Panache

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 02, 2013, 06:15:08 PM

(thick Austrian accent)
Come with me if you want your stuff.
(/accent)

Майор Хаткевич

Watched their short video....seems to me those plastic containers are a cost...I'd rather the thing had bomb-bay doors to drop the item out of the container. 2.0?

NIN

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 02, 2013, 06:15:08 PM

I for one welcome our plastic bin delivering drone overlords.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Peeka

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 02, 2013, 06:41:24 PM

Watched their short video....seems to me those plastic containers are a cost...I'd rather the thing had bomb-bay doors to drop the item out of the container. 2.0?

Amazon will probably replace them with styrofoam boxes.

a2capt

They could always come back and collect the plastic box, aka the pie pan deposit..

SARDOC

I'll have to sit a couple of miles away from out from one of the center's with a shotgun and see what comes my way.

EMT-83

Quote from: SARDOC on December 03, 2013, 02:35:22 AM
I'll have to sit a couple of miles away from out from one of the center's with a shotgun and see what comes my way.
Pull!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 03, 2013, 03:09:38 AM
Pull!

Decisions, decisions.  Buck shot or bird shot....

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on December 03, 2013, 03:57:32 AM
Pull!

Rock salt ought to do the trick.  >:D Or a slug if you're a real hot shot.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on December 03, 2013, 04:06:20 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 03, 2013, 03:57:32 AM
Pull!

Rock salt ought to do the trick.  >:D Or a slug if you're a real hot shot.  ;)

.22cal rifle if you're feelin' froggy!