CAP Pilot makes emrgency landing off-field

Started by disamuel, January 04, 2012, 12:48:38 PM

FW

A new CAP C182 costs about $500k.  We no longer buy 172s.  From what I've heard, the aircraft will be fixed unless the cost of repair exceeds the value of the aircraft.  If so, it will be scrapped.

SARDOC

Quote from: JeffDG on January 04, 2012, 03:09:29 PM
Quote from: Nolan Teel on January 04, 2012, 03:05:23 PM
I will miss that 172!
But it was only "minor damage"  >:D

They can replace the wing...it doesn't appear to be any other damage to the aircraft.  Nice job really.   Landing on a street at night with no runway lights.  this deserves a BZ and a SH for a job well done.

Pylon

Quote from: SARDOC on January 04, 2012, 08:47:08 PM
They can replace the wing...it doesn't appear to be any other damage to the aircraft.  Nice job really.   Landing on a street at night with no runway lights.  this deserves a BZ and a SH for a job well done.

This.  +1  :clap: for the PIC.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CAP_Marine

I am sure you picked up on it from the story, but as a follow up as of this afternoon the PIC is doing just fine. We are pretty proud of her for keeping it all under control. I'm a ground guy so can't comment deeper on whether or not the airframe is salvagable but I do know that they cut off at least one wing in order to haul it away on a flatbed wrecker. Not sure if that makes a major difference on the overhaul or not. The initial speculation (emphasis mine) is that the engine threw a rod, thus leading to the power failure. Might just be totalled.

SarDragon

As an example, the tail of the center F-4 on the deck edge had its tail violently torn off in a collision with a Panamanian freighter (night, fog, inattentive navigation by the freighter's crew). The plane was in the air less than 6 months later. They removed the remainder of the tail at the disassembly point, installed another tail, rerigged the flight controls, and off to do battle once more.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Possible, yes, but the ROI on repairing a $2.4M combat aircraft that is 6 months old is somewhat different than on a 33 30 year old 172
that was probably worth about $75K when it took off.

Looks like up until 2007 it was an ARWG bird.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N54872.html

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8489437&rss=rss-ktrk-article-8489437

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2012, 11:11:45 PM
Possible, yes, but the ROI on repairing a $2.4M combat aircraft that is 6 months old is somewhat different than on a 33 year old 172

Heck, the ROI is different when all your mechanics, machinists, avionics techs, and the whole nine yards are already on your payroll anyway.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Good point - and the parts are "free", too.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Pylon on January 04, 2012, 11:25:00 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2012, 11:11:45 PM
Possible, yes, but the ROI on repairing a $2.4M combat aircraft that is 6 months old is somewhat different than on a 33 year old 172

Heck, the ROI is different when all your mechanics, machinists, avionics techs, and the whole nine yards are already on your payroll anyway.
Nope....the calucalte parts and labor in all the NRTS 9 calcuations.  Of course it is a lot cheaper than a comercial rate...but you do figure it into whether you are going to condemn it or not.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Bob, where did you get "combat aircraft that is 6 months old"?

The BuNo on it was issued around 1971.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SARDOC on January 04, 2012, 08:47:08 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on January 04, 2012, 03:09:29 PM
Quote from: Nolan Teel on January 04, 2012, 03:05:23 PM
I will miss that 172!
But it was only "minor damage"  >:D

^This!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on January 05, 2012, 01:17:46 AM
Bob, where did you get "combat aircraft that is 6 months old"?

Read this wrong...

Quote from: SarDragon on January 04, 2012, 10:56:04 PMThe plane was in the air less than 6 months later.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Watching that video it looks like there are a bunch of dents... which means body work and a new paint job.

What was the plane doing? AFAM? Can't be proficiency at 9:50 at night....
If it was an AFAM shouldn't she have had another person with her, observer, copilot, or whatever.

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2012, 08:05:01 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 04, 2012, 08:00:09 PM
Spending 5-10k more for a safer, brand new plane seems like a good idea.

Well, it's won't be "5-10k more"  a new 172, which we really don't buy anymore, goes about $300k before CAP radios and
other required modifications.

New 182's are $350K+

Looks like a used wing goes for about $5-6k
Oh... I was thinking a new 172 cost about 100k.... I dunno why.

I was making up numbers [guestimating], too. For paint, new parts, tear down, etc.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

NIN

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2012, 02:04:29 AM

Sure. Night flying is something you need to be proficient at.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JeffDG

Quote from: NIN on January 05, 2012, 02:06:23 AM

Yeah, that was my thought too!  I've done C17s at night lots of times.

Extremepredjudice

yeah you need to be proficient at it, but night flying is more dangerous. Does CAP allow people to do proficiency flying at night?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on January 05, 2012, 02:07:21 AM
Quote from: NIN on January 05, 2012, 02:06:23 AM

Yeah, that was my thought too!  I've done C17s at night lots of times.

Ditto - or a transport flight to a unit meeting. I did a couple of those as a Group CC, no biggie.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2012, 02:08:58 AM
yeah you need to be proficient at it, but night flying is more dangerous. Does CAP allow people to do proficiency flying at night?
No regulation prohibiting, or even discouraging, it.

Spaceman3750

Pilots are required by the FAA to maintain a certain number of night takeoffs and landings in a period of time (90 days?) in order to be able to carry passengers at night. She could very well have been maintaining her FAA currency so that she can remain useful to CAP when the 2am ELT sounds.

Nothing to see here, move along :).

JeffDG

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 05, 2012, 02:18:40 AM

Pilots are required by the FAA to maintain a certain number of night takeoffs and landings in a period of time (90 days?) in order to be able to carry passengers at night. She could very well have been maintaining her FAA currency so that she can remain useful to CAP when the 2am ELT sounds.

Nothing to see here, move along :).
3 takeoffs and 3 landings to a full stop during the period between 1 hour after sunset to 1 hour before sunrise within the previous 90 days is required to carry passengers during that same SS+1 - SR-1 period.