B17 crashes in Oswego, IL

Started by Eclipse, June 13, 2011, 04:06:43 PM

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Smithsonia

I just found out about this. I am experiencing pain in my brain. It just hurts. I rode in the Belle twice. I am glad everyone is ok. I am sorry that her days
are over. God Bless the contribution she made to War and to Aerospace Education. If a bird has a soul - I trust her's is at peace and no longer at war.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chibrknews-crews-responding-to-incident-involving-wwii-bomber-20110613,0,5852034.story
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on June 14, 2011, 12:29:34 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/slideshow/ALeqM5hWd3tMAiwJWx3N1lTyDgAUCz7Cyg?docId=0c7adae5728a45719dc59f94857b0735&index=1

Heartwretching....

Oh man, that's the one I saw, only not in that much detail.  It shows they brought her in intact on a field, yet she could not be saved.

Those poor fire guys, too...

Another angle from Ed's story above:

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Until I read the article, I didn't know that this was the same plane that was damaged by a tornado in 1979 in Connecticut.

It was an odd looking air frame, with a fifth engine mount on the nose. Pratt & Whitney used it as a test bed for turboprops. There are photos of it at the New England Air Museum, and I had always wondered what happened to it.

wuzafuzz

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

davidsinn

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but #2 was feathered so the source of the fire must be somewhere in that area.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Slim

While the loss of one of these national treasures is huge, look at it this way.  That 'Fort did its job one last time; it got the crew to the ground in one piece.  At the end of the day, no lives lost is what's most important.

Slim

Flyinsarge

Quote from: Slim on June 14, 2011, 06:08:38 AM
While the loss of one of these national treasures is huge, look at it this way.  That 'Fort did its job one last time; it got the crew to the ground in one piece.  At the end of the day, no lives lost is what's most important.

Yep, just like all it's counterparts did long ago in Europe....

lordmonar

Reminds me of the B-29 that they tried to rescue from the Greenland Ice a few years back.  I remember reading the article in National Geographic (IIRC) and turning the page to see it burning up!  I was so shocked and saddened for the loss of a treasure.

Glad that no one was hurt.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flyinsarge

Hey, yeah reminded me of just that! I watched a show on TV called "frozen in time" about it. The cause of that incident was an APU was left running all night and fuel leaked onto it while they were trying to take off. But there are a few more '29s than'17s, so that makes this incident worse-to me at least....

davidsinn

Quote from: Flyinsarge on June 14, 2011, 06:51:19 PM
But there are a few more '29s than'17s, so that makes this incident worse-to me at least....

Say what? AFAIK there are only one or two Super Forts flying.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NCRblues

Quote from: davidsinn on June 14, 2011, 09:29:34 PM
But there are a few more '29s than'17s, so that makes this incident worse-to me at least....

"FIFI" is the last flight certified 29 superfort in the world right now.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

davidsinn

Quote from: NCRblues on June 14, 2011, 09:56:05 PM

I know of FIFI. Been trying for most of my live to see her. Wasn't there a second for a while? Or one that's real close to being flyable?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NCRblues

Quote from: davidsinn on June 14, 2011, 10:04:52 PM
Quote from: NCRblues on June 14, 2011, 09:56:05 PM

I know of FIFI. Been trying for most of my live to see her. Wasn't there a second for a while? Or one that's real close to being flyable?

Ya, one called "doc" was close to flying, but a contract agreement could not be done for some odd reason.

a2capt

Every B-29 I've seen has been somehow placed to where you just know it's not going to 'escape' anywhere, ever again. Including one I saw inside a newly build building in Pueblo, CO- that had imprints of the door way in it's wing tips and trailing edges of the rudder.

In fact, it could not ever get out. They built it around it.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on June 14, 2011, 11:56:16 PM
Every B-29 I've seen has been somehow placed to where you just know it's not going to 'escape' anywhere, ever again. Including one I saw inside a newly build building in Pueblo, CO- that had imprints of the door way in it's wing tips and trailing edges of the rudder.

In fact, it could not ever get out. They built it around it.

Guess you've never been to the USAF museum. Those airplanes could be removed somewhat easily.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NC Hokie

The CAF website says that FIFI will be at DuPage Airport in West Chicago the weekend of 22 July and at Oshkosh for EAA AirVenture the week after that.  I just saw it at Langley AFB last month and wanted to kick myself for not bringing cash for the tour.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

davidsinn

Quote from: NC Hokie on June 15, 2011, 01:16:10 AM

The CAF website says that FIFI will be at DuPage Airport in West Chicago the weekend of 22 July and at Oshkosh for EAA AirVenture the week after that.  I just saw it at Langley AFB last month and wanted to kick myself for not bringing cash for the tour.
So close and yet so far. That's on the other side of Hell Chicago so I can't get there. Dang.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NC Hokie

Quote from: davidsinn on June 15, 2011, 01:18:48 AM

So close and yet so far. That's on the other side of Hell Chicago so I can't get there. Dang.

Well, here's their calendar  The next closest to you is St. Louis, but I imagine they'll have next year's schedule on the same page whenever they finalize it.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

NCRblues

Quote from: davidsinn on June 15, 2011, 01:18:48 AM

You could always see it at Oshkosh, then visit the beret compound ;)