B17 crashes in Oswego, IL

Started by Eclipse, June 13, 2011, 04:06:43 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Robborsari

It appears to be the Liberty Belle.  That yellow stripe is pretty distinctive.  The liberty foundation webpage is off-line.
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

Flyinsarge

OHMYGOSH NO!! There are so few B17s left, and that one just got destroyed is, in my eyes, tragic. A family friend of mine flew those in WWII and also a B17 (Alumumn Overcast) just came to my town and my CAP Squadron and another helped out with crowd control....well, looks like this B17 just met the same fate that thousands of other ones did in WWII-but, still, this is so sad.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

It looks like she went in dead stick because the  props aren't bent. They might be able to salvage the power plants...

Quote from: lordmonar on June 13, 2011, 04:58:21 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 13, 2011, 04:06:43 PM
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/B-17-Bomber-Crashes-in-Suburbs-123748444.html

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110613/news/706139928/

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/gallery?section=news/local&id=8187230

One person injured, and of course except for an irreplaceable aircraft destroyed.

This almost looks like a model diarama. 

I wish it were.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Flyinsarge

QuoteThey might be able to salvage the power plants....

Except there arent any B17s who need powerplants. :(

EmergencyManager6

They landed on the gear ( down of course) ....then fire engulfed the rest of her.

Notice the images of the firetrucks....only a brush truck.  They couldn't get water to the field.  Looks like they had to let her burn!

arajca

Quote from: Flyinsarge on June 13, 2011, 05:47:50 PM

According to the article, there are still 12 flying.

Майор Хаткевич

I believe I've seen that one before. (Perhaps the only one). It's a sad day.

davidsinn

Still a dozen more flying. Plus it was a popular engine for the day and a lot of different types would use the same one.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Flyinsarge

Well, it just goes to show that a good preflight can save you plenty of trouble....and even the mighty Flying Fortress can't afford to be scanned over quickly.

EmergencyManager6

Quote from: Flyinsarge on June 13, 2011, 08:47:19 PM
Well, it just goes to show that a good preflight can save you plenty of trouble....and even the mighty Flying Fortress can't afford to be scanned over quickly.

How in the world can you say that the preflight could have saved the plane?  You  have no idea what happened!

indygreg

Apparently, it was on it's way to Indy Regional (formerly Mt. Comfort) for Father's Day weekend rides.  Guess I'll have to ask for something else now.    :-[

SarDragon

Quote from: davidsinn on June 13, 2011, 08:13:58 PM

Still a dozen more flying. Plus it was a popular engine for the day and a lot of different types would use the same one.

There are lots of planes that use the R-1820, but the version in the B-17 (R-1820-97) was only used in two or three aircraft models. Adapting one for use elsewhere is not a trivial project.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

They aren't making those powerplants any more, so every piece and part off those engines thats useable, jugs, pistons, connecting links, etc, are going to wind up elsewhere eventually.

There are plenty of planes besides the B-17 that use the Cyclone engine.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

ABC 7 just showed a witness photo that had the plane on the ground relatively intact, so as mentioned it
must have burned on the ground - probably pretty horrible to watch.

The same witness said he was in / on the plane yesterday and the crew were commenting that it might not fly today because of
fuel leaks which the witness observed himself puddling below two of the engines.

The NTSB commented that another aircraft saw a fire onboard, reported it to the B17 and that was when they started to
try to land.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on June 13, 2011, 10:48:13 PM

They aren't making those powerplants any more, so every piece and part off those engines thats useable, jugs, pistons, connecting links, etc, are going to wind up elsewhere eventually.

There are plenty of planes besides the B-17 that use the Cyclone engine.

Yeah, there are. I have flown on on and/or worked on at least 6 of them. The crankcases and crankshafts are mostly interchangeable, but many of the other parts are not, even though they are all called R-1820s.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret