iPad/iPhone as Pilot Tool

Started by Paradoc, January 16, 2011, 11:41:20 PM

Paradoc

New to these forums... and relatively new CAP pilot.  But want to put in a plug for using the iPad as a very useful tool for CAP missions.  Software I find particularly helpful:

1) Foreflight - Full flight planning, charts, plates for the entire US.  You can brief/file flight plans directly from Foreflight.  Requires a subscription.  Runs on both iPhone/iPad.  On the iPad, you can easily read full approach plates.  Foreflight is really awesome software.  I'm trying to figure out optimal kneeboard, but not sure I want to use it in that fashion.  Sporty's has an iPad kneeboard... anyone else using these?  This really is a full electronic "flight bag" for either the iPad or iPhone.  With the current version you can even print the plates you need before you depart.  Flight planning is as simple as entering in something like "KJAC RIW KCYS 125kts 12.5gph".  It knows all the victor airways, intersections, procedures, etc.  It calculates each leg including fuel burn taking into account winds aloft, and provides enroute weather.  It has near-live weather radar and satelite images as well as full aviation weather for entire US.  The other day I impressed one of my CAP instructor pilots by whipping out my iPhone during lunch and filing out IFR return flight plan in about 60 seconds with confirmation via email.  It really is great software.  Foreflight is free to try, if you want to keep using it you can buy quarterly or yearly subscriptions which enable you to download all the current sectionals, IFR charts, procedures, etc.

2) CAP Regulations - You can download current versions of all the CAP regulations in pdf format from the CAP site and load them into the iBooks reader, or one of several other pdf readers.

3) eServices and WIMRS - Full access to eServices and WIMRS from anywhere

4) If you have an iPhone, a program called "Genius Scan" lets you take a picture of your fuel receipts and store them as a pdf file on your phone or a variety of other secure online sites so you can upload them to eServices.

5) Google Earth - Requires a speedy internet connection... but full access to Google Earth to help with mission planning.

6) Topo maps - a number of different programs let you download topo maps and store them on the iPad for mission planning

7) Books - Both Kindle and iBook store have a several flying titles, including the instrument flying handbook and instrument procedures guide for reading when you have downtime on that next Sarex.

8) Starwalk - A great astronomy program that teaches you the night sky.  Hold up your iPhone/iPad and it knows your location, direction, and elevation and will display the night sky above you (or even below you!) including common satellite flyovers.  A great way to learn some about celestial navigation.

Lots of other useful apps... any other CAP pilots have ones you use/recommend?

Battery life on the iPad is about 10 hours of continuous use.  New versions should be out in a couple of weeks and you should be able to pick up the original models for pretty cheap on eBay/etc.

Jim
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
FAA Senior Medical Examiner
Family Physician
Wyoming Wing Medical Officer

JoeTomasone

Not solely for pilots either, us ground-pounders get a lot of use from iOS devices:

1. Wundermap, AeroWeather, and Intellicast HD.   I like them all for different reasons.

2. Goodreader is my PDF reader of choice (for the aforementioned Manuals/Regs)

3. Simplenote for taking quick notes that sync to the cloud and can be viewed/edited from the Web or a PC client.

4. Clinometer/Tiltmeter - For checking levels on things or figuring out angles.

5. Maps allows you to plot lat/longs from AFRCC.

6. Various web sites that give you airport data (like the after-hours emergency contact info), look up tail numbers, etc.

7. Angry Birds (while you wait for the next coordinates from AFRCC or for the aircrew to get airborne - semi kidding!)

PHall

If you're going to use this stuff in the cockpit just remember this little rule.

"The airplane flies because of Bernoulli, not Marconi."

In other words don't get so busy playing with the electronics that you forget to fly the airplane.

SABRE17

Angry Birds is by far the most addicting game ever made for just about any device on the planet  ;D ;D ;D... and I'm sure because of angry birds commanders will ban said devices from missions forcing us to use the good old compass for NAV and the phone book to look up phone numbers  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 17, 2011, 04:14:33 AM
Not solely for pilots either, us ground-pounders get a lot of use from iOS devices:

1. Wundermap, AeroWeather, and Intellicast HD.   I like them all for different reasons.

2. Goodreader is my PDF reader of choice (for the aforementioned Manuals/Regs)

3. Simplenote for taking quick notes that sync to the cloud and can be viewed/edited from the Web or a PC client.

4. Clinometer/Tiltmeter - For checking levels on things or figuring out angles.

5. Maps allows you to plot lat/longs from AFRCC.

6. Various web sites that give you airport data (like the after-hours emergency contact info), look up tail numbers, etc.

7. Angry Birds (while you wait for the next coordinates from AFRCC or for the aircrew to get airborne - semi kidding!)

Thanks... You just gave me 7 reasons why I should buy an iPad... And I really wasn't looking for any because I don't want to spend the money  >:D

SABRE17

what does the 3g service cost on those Ipads any way?

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 17, 2011, 08:14:42 AM
Thanks... You just gave me 7 reasons why I should buy an iPad... And I really wasn't looking for any because I don't want to spend the money  >:D

When the iPad came out, I pooh-poohed it because I considered it to be merely a big iPhone (and I already had an iPhone).   In reality, it's so much more, but you can't appreciate it until you use one.   

Quote from: SABRE17 on January 17, 2011, 01:57:40 PM
what does the 3g service cost on those Ipads any way?

250MB/month, $14.99. 2GB/month, $25.00.  You can start/suspend service at any time without penalty.

SABRE17

How much does 2GB a month actually get you?

JoeTomasone

Quote from: SABRE17 on January 17, 2011, 02:24:34 PM
How much does 2GB a month actually get you?

Quite a bit, if you're doing regular web surfing, email checking, etc.   It would be pretty hard to exceed 2g with an iPad in a month. 

EMT-83

2 GB of 3G goes a long way if you take advantage of WiFi, when available.

REDahms

I know of a few pilots who use the iPhone as their preflight check list. They say its alot better then trying you use the book and papers they are given. For the iPad, personally I love it but for WiFi it's not the greatest.

Is there a way to create apps for SQTR's or like the green ES book?
C/Capt. Robert Dahms
MER CAC Rep. NC
NC-023 Cadet EXO

Billy Mitchell       56791
Amelia Earhart  15084

Paradoc

Quote from: PHall on January 17, 2011, 04:19:33 AM
If you're going to use this stuff in the cockpit just remember this little rule.

"The airplane flies because of Bernoulli, not Marconi."

In other words don't get so busy playing with the electronics that you forget to fly the airplane.

I agree... I try not to get distracted by electronics in the cockpit, including the G1000.  As our Stan/Eval officer is fond of saying... the crash position in the 182 G1000 is when you are heads down looking at the G1000 and not paying attention to what is outside the aircraft!
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
Family Physician

davidsinn

Quote from: REDahms on January 17, 2011, 05:12:31 PM

Just log into eServices? I can do it from my WinMo phone just fine. I have the taskbook on my phone as well.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 17, 2011, 08:14:42 AM
Thanks... You just gave me 7 reasons why I should buy an iPad... And I really wasn't looking for any because I don't want to spend the money

Let me help save you some money.

DRM.  Feature poor.  Carrier-lock (though that is changing). No Flash.  Itunes. And the #1 reason - Steve Jobs seems to know better what you need than you do.

After the tablets from CES start hitting the stores, by this time next year we will all be wondering what the fuss about the iPad was.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

I wonder how the ipad will compare with the android tablets that are going to be released in the near future.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Spaceman3750

What I'm really watching is the WebOS tablet set to be officially unveiled in February.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 18, 2011, 07:42:02 PM
What I'm really watching is the WebOS tablet set to be officially unveiled in February.

A dead platform.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2011, 08:01:55 PM

A dead platform.

Or an iOS killer that doesn't have Apple's marketing department >:D.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 18, 2011, 08:05:48 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2011, 08:01:55 PM

A dead platform.

Or an iOS killer that doesn't have Apple's marketing department >:D.

Too little, too late.  Palm is long done as a market leader, no one has told them, yet. 
The king is dead, long live the king.

Android will become the MS of portable devices and cell phone - even Rim and Nokia are hearing footsteps.  iOS will be relegated to the same boutique status that other Apple products are. This isn't conjecture or speculation, this is already happening.

There will be a spike in iOS devices during the upcoming exodus from AT&T to Verizon, at which time AT&T will begin to emphasize the Android platform in an attempt to win back their lost customers.  After that spike, the iOS devices will begin their great market share decline.

The next gen Apple devices will be the key to this race - if they come out as restrictive and feature-poor as the iphone 4 and ipad, they will lose.  Until now, to the less technical, these devices seem like "magic", but when compared to their competitors, they don't compare very well, and there are going to be a lot of competitors.

In fact, Acer announced today that they have already begun planning the cease of production of netbooks in favor of tablets - tablets which will run Windows or Android.  When the largest manufacturer of netbooks says they are done, they are done.

"That Others May Zoom"

Paradoc

Quote from: davidsinn on January 17, 2011, 08:14:08 PM
Quote from: REDahms on January 17, 2011, 05:12:31 PM

Just log into eServices? I can do it from my WinMo phone just fine. I have the taskbook on my phone as well.

Yes, you can log into WIMRS and eServices just fine from iPad or iPhone.  I've used both to add sorties.  Although I will say with filling out SQTR's, it is much easier to do on a laptop/desktop computer with a mouse and keyboard.  eServices is not the most user friendly web based software I've used before.
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
Family Physician