New C.A.P. Aircraft

Started by MICT1362, November 02, 2010, 06:59:24 PM

MICT1362

Recently my squadron, as part of an aerospace activity, visited the Cessna plant in Independence, KS where the Cessna 182's are produced.  During our tour, we were allowed to go through three parts of the plant.  We walked through the assembly line building where three types of aircraft were being produced; 182's, Corvalis', and Mustang Citations.  After this building we went to what they call "Flight".  This is where they hang engines and prepare the planes for their first flights.  The last building we toured was paint.

It was a very interesting tour for our cadets!  What made it even more interesting is that there were several C.A.P. aircraft in various stages of production at the plant.  There was even one that was ready for delivery.  As a follow up for our cadets I am trying to find out where these planes get sent to.  So here is my request of all of you.  If you get any of the following aircraft in your respective wings, please let me know.  If you can tell me the Unit that it goes to, that would be amazing, but I will settle for the wing.

The following are the tail numbers of the aircraft that were in production at Cessna:
N486CP
N286CP
N717CP
N644CP
N679CP
N493CP
N482CP
N336CP
N285CP

I appreciate all of your help!

-Paramedic

davidsinn

Quote from: MICT1362 on November 02, 2010, 06:59:24 PM
Recently my squadron, as part of an aerospace activity, visited the Cessna plant in Independence, KS where the Cessna 182's are produced.  During our tour, we were allowed to go through three parts of the plant.  We walked through the assembly line building where three types of aircraft were being produced; 182's, Corvalis', and Mustang Citations.  After this building we went to what they call "Flight".  This is where they hang engines and prepare the planes for their first flights.  The last building we toured was paint.

It was a very interesting tour for our cadets!  What made it even more interesting is that there were several C.A.P. aircraft in various stages of production at the plant.  There was even one that was ready for delivery.  As a follow up for our cadets I am trying to find out where these planes get sent to.  So here is my request of all of you.  If you get any of the following aircraft in your respective wings, please let me know.  If you can tell me the Unit that it goes to, that would be amazing, but I will settle for the wing.

The following are the tail numbers of the aircraft that were in production at Cessna:
N486CP
N286CP
N717CP
N644CP
N679CP
N493CP
N482CP
N336CP
N285CP

I appreciate all of your help!

-Paramedic

You can look those up yourself in the NTC's site once they hit the field.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

IceNine

According to WMIRS none of those have been delivered yet.

You can check back there whenever you want

https://missions.cap.af.mil/login.cfm
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

FW

The Cessna plant in Independence is a great facility.  I highly reccommend a tour if you're able.
BTW; I was just informed we'll only purchase 3 aircraft this year...
Times are tough. :(

davidsinn

Quote from: FW on November 03, 2010, 01:17:29 PM
The Cessna plant in Independence is a great facility.  I highly reccommend a tour if you're able.
BTW; I was just informed we'll only purchase 3 aircraft this year...
Times are tough. :(

Are the tail numbers listed above already paid for just not delivered?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

FW

The aircraft listed are not for CAP.  All  the "CP" numbers were taken by a "line inspection" company  and "CA" are the new last figures in the registration system for CAP. 

The 12 new aircraft for CAP (purchased with last year's funds) will have "CA" at the end of the tail number.  I am informed they are being delivered now.

a2capt

Well, of the tail #'s listed in the first post, it says "one was ready for delivery".  .. what did it look like?

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Sad that we don't even have an aircraft permanently assigned to us.

We have 7 CAP pilots, 11 MO's, a plethora of MS's, almost 50 Senior members, and new members that are pilots joining every month.

We have to share an old 182 that is broken again with two cracked cylinders.  Our 206 that was perfect for training our plethora of Scanners was taken away last year...

Sigh...  :-[ :-[

davidsinn

Quote from: Mission Pilot on November 03, 2010, 07:50:42 PM
Sad that we don't even have an aircraft permanently assigned to us.

We have 7 CAP pilots, 11 MO's, a plethora of MS's, almost 50 Senior members, and new members that are pilots joining every month.

We have to share an old 182 that is broken again with two cracked cylinders.  Our 206 that was perfect for training our plethora of Scanners was taken away last year...

Sigh...  :-[ :-[

Got you beat. Shortly my group will be without an aircraft for the rest of the winter.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MICT1362

Quote from: FW on November 03, 2010, 04:32:29 PM
The aircraft listed are not for CAP.  All  the "CP" numbers were taken by a "line inspection" company  and "CA" are the new last figures in the registration system for CAP. 

The 12 new aircraft for CAP (purchased with last year's funds) will have "CA" at the end of the tail number.  I am informed they are being delivered now.
Well, if that is the case, this company in California needs to let Cessna know so that they can take all of the Corporate paint schemes off those aircraft.  Because even the ones that weren't painted had been taped for the new paint...

Quote from: a2capt on November 03, 2010, 07:39:49 PM
Well, of the tail #'s listed in the first post, it says "one was ready for delivery".  .. what did it look like?
Looked great! It was sitting on the delivery line with about 25 other 182's for various customers.  Corporate paint scheme looked very nice all waxed.

Quote from: davidsinn on November 03, 2010, 04:04:45 PM
Are the tail numbers listed above already paid for just not delivered?

Not sure if they have been paid for or not.

Al Sayre

CAP isn't the only group that uses the Red/White/Blue paint scheme.  There are at least 2 State of MS C-172/C-182 aircraft I know of that use the same scheme minus the CAP specific lettering/decals.  I believe that the Highway patrol uses/used them for traffic work.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Got you beat. Shortly my group will be without an aircraft for the rest of the winter.

Crazy!

FW

Quote from: MICT1362 on November 03, 2010, 08:09:16 PM
Quote from: FW on November 03, 2010, 04:32:29 PM

Well, if that is the case, this company in California needs to let Cessna know so that they can take all of the Corporate paint schemes off those aircraft.  Because even the ones that weren't painted had been taped for the new paint...

I should post better sometimes... ;D
Our aircraft at Cessna have "CA" at the end of the tail number.  the CA stands for CAP as "CP" did when we could use that suffix.  They are paid for and will be delivered shortly....
The reason we are using "CA" as the suffix to our tail numbers is because another company has beat us to the rest of the "CP" suffix series.  That's what the "guy" who approved the purchase told me....

MICT1362

Well, regardless of what has happened, or is supposed to have happend.  8 of the 9 aircraft in the facility had the "Corporate Paint Scheme" on them with decals on the wings and Civil Air Patrol down the tail...  The one that wasn't painted yet, was reported to us, by staff at the facility as being a Civil Air Patrol aircraft.  So, I'm not sure how they ended up with CP on tail number, but that is what is on them.

-Paramedic

SarDragon

The CP numbers listed above are shown as assigned to Cessna.

The corresponding CA numbers are not. Six are assigned to other non-CAP a/c, two are not assigned, and one, N482CA, was assigned on 1/7/09 to a CAP a/c, a 2008 182T.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

Quote from: SarDragon on November 04, 2010, 02:38:19 AM
[snip] , N482CA, was assigned on 1/7/09 to a CAP a/c, a 2008 182T.
... which is assigned to CTWG, CAP-604.

MICT1362

I shall argue no further, I know what I saw.  Along with 2 other Seniors and 5 Cadets.

-Paramedic

RiverAux

"These are not the droids you are looking for"....

jimmydeanno

Quote from: MICT1362 on November 04, 2010, 03:18:35 AM
I shall argue no further, I know what I saw.  Along with 2 other Seniors and 5 Cadets.

-Paramedic

Certainly you must be wrong, because you were actually there.  Of course, people who didn't actually witness the event would certainly know better than you.   ;D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Al Sayre

Don't tell anyone, but those aircraft are assigned to the 122 SOS http://122sos.freeservers.com/ They are destined for a classified OCONUS mission.  :-X
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

jb512

Quote from: MICT1362 on November 04, 2010, 03:18:35 AM

-Paramedic

Don't you just love that?  Takes the fun out of posting sometimes...  Next time you want to relate a story just ask someone here to tell it for you to save the frustration.

bosshawk

Does OCONUS include Nebraska?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Al Sayre

Some places there seem that way...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

HGjunkie

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 04, 2010, 02:43:45 PM
Certainly you must be wrong, because you were actually there.  Of course, people who didn't actually witness the event would certainly know better than you.   ;D
::)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 04, 2010, 03:13:17 PM
Don't tell anyone, but those aircraft are assigned to the 122 SOS http://122sos.freeservers.com/ They are destined for a classified OCONUS mission.  :-X

!@#$%

You had me going for a minute.. That's just mean.

The only thing I was thinking was that maybe they were all actual SpecOps types who didn't like sharing their info online, and carried it (wrongly) over to CAP.

a2capt

Quote from: DakRadz on November 04, 2010, 09:48:21 PMYou had me going for a minute.. That's just mean.
No it's just mean, it's funny too. ;)

I wasn't questioning the original poster, when he said that one was ready for delivery, I pretty much had to figure that meant paint and that it looked "corporate-y" otherwise he wouldn't have said that.

aekuhns

N644CP
N679CP
N285CP

are all assigned to Civil Air Patrol, but have not been put into WIMRS.
Confirmed through the FAA database

NIN

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 04, 2010, 03:13:17 PM

Al, you're killin' me. You know those guys fly 337s cuz of all the crap they're hanging on the airframe.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Tubacap

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

scooter

I think CA was the old ComAir tail designator. Google 948CA. It is either and RJ or the 182T assigned to Colorado Wing.

manfredvonrichthofen

Personally I think each wing needs at least one G6.  >:D

bosshawk

Excuse me for being curious, but what is a G6?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

FW

This is a "G6" regional jet (RJ)

MICT1362

jimmydeanno

Quote from: bosshawk on November 23, 2010, 05:57:21 PM

If it's referencing the now popular hip-hop song, "like a G6" they're actually referring to a Gulfstream G650...

http://www.gulfstream.com/products/g650/
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 23, 2010, 06:25:05 PM

If it's referencing the now popular hip-hop song, "like a G6" they're actually referring to a Gulfstream G650...

Actually the song got the reference from Gulfstream originally. When the company came out with the personal jet they introduced it as the Gulfstream G650 or more simply as the G6.

bosshawk

Thanks for the explanation: I neither like nor tolerate hip hop, so would have missed it entirely.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

Quote from: FW on November 23, 2010, 06:07:25 PM

No, that's a British Aerospace HS-146.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on November 24, 2010, 04:07:24 AM

If that's a G6, then the asymmetrical thrust would be really awkward, since a G6 has only two engines.  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Quote from: SarDragon on November 24, 2010, 04:48:09 AM
Quote from: PHall on November 24, 2010, 04:07:24 AM

If that's a G6, then the asymmetrical thrust would be really awkward, since a G6 has only two engines.  :o

time for new glasses.....  next time I'll be more carefull when I pull up a picture from the internet... I should be awake too.... :-[ :D

NIN

Quote from: bosshawk on November 24, 2010, 12:35:42 AM
Thanks for the explanation: I neither like nor tolerate hip hop, so would have missed it entirely.

That makes two of us.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 23, 2010, 06:25:05 PM

Really? I always figured it referred to this http://www.pontiacg6.info/

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 24, 2010, 09:11:13 PM
Really? I always figured it referred to this http://www.pontiacg6.info/
The Pontiac G6 doesn't fly.

Besides, there is nothing "Fly" about a Pontiac.

SarDragon

FWIW, the last Poncho G6 I drove got up to 118 in a short flog session.  Before its demise, Pontiac was considered the performance division of GM.

YMMV. Mine was about 21 mpg.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SABRE17

N486CP and N644CP are registered as SR-22's, a Cirrus , as much as id like to have one of those in CAP :)
and after some more research most of those tail #'s were for SR-22's and now registered to the Cessna Aircraft company.

N717CP is a gulf stream 100... REALLY want one of those in CAP,

however the is good news
N679CP is a Sky Lane based at Maxwell AFB!!
N285CP is as well, how ever its blocked on flight aware? at the request of the owner? i see we are now covering up our tracks.

SarDragon

Where are you getting this info? I went here, and got the following info:

N486CP - 182T, reg to Cessna
N286CP - 182T, reg to Cessna
N717CP - 182T, reg to Cessna
N644CP - 182T, reg to CAP
N679CP - 182T, reg to CAP
N493CP - 182T, reg to Cessna
N482CP - 182T, reg to Cessna
N336CP - 182T, reg to Cessna
N285CP - 182T, reg to CAP

A couple of the N-numbers have prior registrations, but above is the current info, straight from the FAA.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SABRE17

flight aware, uses the same database of the FAA, says my CFI

ßτε

Quote from: SABRE17 on November 25, 2010, 02:05:58 PM
flight aware, uses the same database of the FAA, says my CFI
http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N486CP

Also states it's a C182T.

Perhaps a year ago when the last flight was recorded the number was used on a SR-22.

SABRE17

yea but that SR-22 was registered to the Cessna aircraft corporation?

ßτε

Quote from: SABRE17 on November 25, 2010, 02:40:19 PM
yea but that SR-22 was registered to the Cessna aircraft corporation?
My guess would be no. It looks like it shows only current registration information, not the registration information for when the flight was tracked.

sardak

This shows N486CP registered three times.

http://www.aviongoo.com/aviongoo/faa_info.php?nnum=486CP

Twice to Cessna, 182T serial numbers 2261 and 2199 (FAA database shows it assigned to 2261)

Once to Cirrus SR22 serial number 3305

Mike

PHall

Did CAP get exclusive "rights" to the CP series or do we just get whats available.

I do know that UPS tried to claim the UP series as theirs and they were very upset when the Union Pacific Railroad refused to re-register their aircraft with new N numbers to accommodate them.

a2capt

There's no "exclusive" rights.

There's what money, and perhaps influence can attempt to persuade.

Thrashed

You can buy what is available.  Many operators, like airlines, buy a bunch of similair N numbers.  My airline has bought hundereds of them.  The one catch is that they have to be available.  John Travola bought N707JT for his 707 from some guy who had it already.

Personally, I don't care what the N number is. I just want a plane to fly. I doubt I'll be seeing any of the new CAP aircraft.

Save the triangle thingy