Army adopts "Pinks and Greens" for 2020

Started by Eclipse, November 12, 2018, 08:35:36 PM

Eclipse

Start the clock and take pool reservations on the Air Force service dress.

My guess is the USAF implements a new service dress design with a first-wear of FY20
and a sundown at the same time as the ABU in 2021. Which would then mean that
CAP isn't wearing anything the USAF is, offering additional opportunities to fix the multiform.

https://www.stripes.com/news/army/what-s-old-is-new-army-rolls-out-pinks-and-greens-service-uniform-1.556302
The new uniform, which officials said would be "cost-neutral" to enlisted soldiers and would not come at an
added cost to taxpayers, is expected to be fielded to soldiers reporting to their first units beginning in summer 2020.
All soldiers will be required to have the uniform for wear eight years after that.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/11/11/for-veterans-day-the-army-has-a-present-a-long-awaited-new-service-uniform/

"The Army was able to straighten out its congressionally mandated notification requirements in time to announce on
Sunday, Veterans Day, that the much anticipated "Army Greens" will indeed be your next service uniform.

Formerly known as the "pinks and greens," the World War II-era officers uniform could go Army-wide as soon as 2020,
according to a release that was posted Sunday to the Army's website but was not shared through any of its social media channels.

"The current Army Blues Uniform will return to being a formal dress uniform, while the Army Greens will become the everyday
business-wear uniform for all soldiers," the release said.

The new uniform will be "cost-neutral," according to the Army, though details of the budgeting plan were not immediately available.

Sergeant Major of the Army Dan Dailey told Army Times in September that while higher quality materials translated to a dollar-for-dollar more expensive uniform, the fielding plan would negate some of those extra costs in the aggregate."

FWIW I like the crush caps...

Prototypes from earlier in the year.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

I already saw last night a post on social media where someone said "I wish CAP would adopt the greens; they're so classy."

I hesitated to reply with "If you want to wear them so bad, you should have enlisted."

I have enough of a problem with constant uniform changes. I have an even greater issue when non-military members begin to insert themselves into discussions on military uniforms and how they wish they got to wear them, too.

Sorry for the soap box here. This is a real peeve.

abdsp51

The Army just went to blues not that long ago.  Seriously there better ways to invest in ones time and budget.

NIN

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 12, 2018, 10:09:21 PM
The Army just went to blues not that long ago.  Seriously there better ways to invest in ones time and budget.

Terrible decision, IMHO. Greens were just fine, but someone got caught up in the "good idea fairy" of uniform changes.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

CAPCom

Great change and best looking style of uniform the Army ever issued, imo.

Hawk200

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 12, 2018, 10:09:21 PM

That was eight years ago, and it was always supposed to be an interim uniform. The interim is now over, and we're getting a uniform with class. The greens were fine, but were not considered the best. Pinks and greens are classy. I'm looking forward to getting them. Hopefully, issued.

That being said, CAP doesn't need them. Our identity is linked to the Air Force, and should follow the Air Force in whatever uniform it chooses. 

hfriday

Wonderful uniform with such great historical connotation. Blues as a service uniform for the army puzzled me; I understand the tenuous connection to cavalry and all, but blue always seemed more associated with every other branch to me than the army.

You're right that the Air Force and, by ripple effect, CAP, should not be going this direction. If the army's glory days were beating Hitler, the Air Force's were keeping the Russian bear at bay for a half century. Cold War-style, Curtis LeMay blues are what the Air Force belongs in.

Hawk200

Quote from: hfriday on November 12, 2018, 11:46:51 PM
Wonderful uniform with such great historical connotation. Blues as a service uniform for the army puzzled me; I understand the tenuous connection to cavalry and all, but blue always seemed more associated with every other branch to me than the army.

You're right that the Air Force and, by ripple effect, CAP, should not be going this direction. If the army's glory days were beating Hitler, the Air Force's were keeping the Russian bear at bay for a half century. Cold War-style, Curtis LeMay blues are what the Air Force belongs in.

Very tenuous connections. A white shirt ruined that. If they'd gone with a royal blue shirt, and flipped the stripes (as tested,) the Army would have had a much closer connection.

Don't recall what the Lemay uniform design was, at the moment. Probably pretty classy too, I would imagine.

Eclipse

^ That would basically be the 4-pocket "I Dream of Jeannie" style still worn by CAP and USAFA cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

The Air Force has been working on a replacement for the current Mc Peak Special Service Dress Uniform for over 10 years now.
The Army changing their uniform won't make the slightest differance at all.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on November 13, 2018, 12:05:25 AM
The Air Force has been working on a replacement for the current Mc Peak Special Service Dress Uniform for over 10 years now.

Chief Wright has been quoted as recently as Aug that they are working on a
new service uniform and that he favors the traditional styles.

Conjecture is piloting in 2019.  Considering how fast he moved on the OCPs,
it's highly likely.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2018, 11:58:17 PM
^ That would basically be the 4-pocket "I Dream of Jeannie" style still worn by CAP and USAFA cadets still wear.....

I remember that one, wore it while in the Air Force. (It was actually phased out about a month and half before I left the Air Force.)

I was thinking Lemay had designed one of his own. Was wondering why nothing different was coming up.

At least the Air Force is looking at ditching the McPeak design. Never liked it. I am very glad that someone wants to get rid of it.

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on November 13, 2018, 12:28:47 AM
Quote from: PHall on November 13, 2018, 12:05:25 AM

Chief Wright has been quoted as recently as Aug that they are working on a
new service uniform and that he favors the traditional styles.

Conjecture is piloting in 2019.  Considering how fast he moved on the OCPs,
it's highly likely.

Chief Wright's predecessor and his predecessor both said that too. There were threads here on CAP Talk about the "new" uniforms too.
Will believe it when I see it because they (they being the HAF Uniform folks) have said many more times then once that the new uniform is just around the corner.
Must be a really long block!

etodd

105,941 posts in the Uniform Forum. More than any other.  Obviously it's what is most important to so many CAP members. How many members would we lose if we just went to jeans and a t-shirt, and concentrated on the missions instead? Sad to think of what the number would be. To each his own.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

OldGuy

No one probably cares, but in my opinion, the classiest uniform combo was the Ike Jacket with the long sleeved 1549 shade shirt and same shade trousers.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/199974-usaf-midnight-blue-dress-shirt/

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on November 13, 2018, 02:02:44 AM
105,941 posts in the Uniform Forum. More than any other. Obviously it's what is most important to so many CAP members.
Better would be to do an analysis to see if it is the same 17 posters making up 90% of those posts first...

How many members would we lose if we just went to jeans and a t-shirt, and concentrated on the missions instead? Sad to think of what the number would be. To each his own.

If you want to wear jeans and a tshirt and just focus on the mission, there are orgs for that.

Hawk200

Quote from: OldGuy on November 13, 2018, 03:09:39 AM
No one probably cares, but in my opinion, the classiest uniform combo was the Ike Jacket with the long sleeved 1549 shade shirt and same shade trousers.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/199974-usaf-midnight-blue-dress-shirt/

I've always liked the Ike, and I've seen a few pics of the 1549 shirt(including a hospital commander that wore one with service dress for his Commander's photo,) and actually saw one in a surplus store downtown. That was a nice looking shirt.

It would be pretty sweet to see the old four pocket come back, with an Ike option, and the old dark blue shirt. Going back to the old classy uniforms.

Quote from: Holding Pattern on November 13, 2018, 06:15:35 AM
How many members would we lose if we just went to jeans and a t-shirt, and concentrated on the missions instead? Sad to think of what the number would be. To each his own.

If you want to wear jeans and a tshirt and just focus on the mission, there are orgs for that.

I'll second that.

NIN

Combination Three (1549 shirt & trousers) was my *favorite* combo as a cadet. Only wore it like 3 times. Stuck out like a sore thumb.

If I was going to build a "historical uniform combo," that would be it.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

OldGuy

Quote from: NIN on November 13, 2018, 12:17:35 PM

Combination Three (1549 shirt & trousers) was my *favorite* combo as a cadet. Only wore it like 3 times. Stuck out like a sore thumb.

If I was going to build a "historical uniform combo," that would be it.
:) Truly a sharp as a razor combo!

SarDragon

I, like Nin, really liked the 1549 shirt combo. It looked great, and was very comfortable.
As for the Ike jacket, I thought it was uncomfortable, but it might have been due to fit issues while I was a cadet. I never wore it as an adult.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret