Cadet Advisory Council?

Started by kwaisun, September 12, 2018, 11:24:43 PM

kwaisun

Does anyone know how to assign a cadet to CAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Color Guard Rifleman

C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

jeders

Quote from: kwaisun on September 12, 2018, 11:24:43 PM
Does anyone know how to assign a cadet to CAC?

CAC assignments are done under the duty assignments module of eServices.

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 12, 2018, 11:28:50 PM
Or how to join a CAC?

If your squadron does not have a CAC representative, talk to your DCC or squadron commander about the job.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Spam

Hi Kwaisun.
Path to get to it in eservices:
- "Personnel"
- "Duty Assignment"
- "Assign Cadet Duties" module.

Then:
- Pick the unit (yours is default)
- Pick the Functional Area from the pulldown menu (CAC for this example)
- Select the position to assign the individual
- Press submit.

Additionally, I recommend reviewing the relevant CAPP, at:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P052_019_1584425C1735C.pdf

Rifleman,
as CAC is reserved for cadet officers as a venue for them to focus on indirect leadership (see the CAC guide) and your profile indicates you're a junior C/NCO. Therefore, my advice is to continue progressing through Phase II, learning direct leadership of troops and being the best C/NCO possible to demonstrate your mastery of same. That will position you to be a great unit level candidate to CAC when you've passed your Mitchell.  Good luck!

V/r
Spam

MSG Mac

Quote from: Spam on September 13, 2018, 03:14:07 AM
Hi Kwaisun.
Path to get to it in eservices:
- "Personnel"
- "Duty Assignment"
- "Assign Cadet Duties" module.

Then:
- Pick the unit (yours is default)
- Pick the Functional Area from the pulldown menu (CAC for this example)
- Select the position to assign the individual
- Press submit.

Additionally, I recommend reviewing the relevant CAPP, at:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P052_019_1584425C1735C.pdf

Rifleman,
as CAC is reserved for cadet officers as a venue for them to focus on indirect leadership (see the CAC guide) and your profile indicates you're a junior C/NCO. Therefore, my advice is to continue progressing through Phase II, learning direct leadership of troops and being the best C/NCO possible to demonstrate your mastery of same. That will position you to be a great unit level candidate to CAC when you've passed your Mitchell.  Good luck!

V/r
Spam

As a cadet, he doesnt have access to the duty assignments functions in e-services.

[fixed quote placement]
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Spam

Hi, Mac.

You may want to read those posts again.

I addressed my initial reply to the original poster. I don't think you can assume that he or she is a Cadet. I was merely answering the question.

V/r
Spam

jeders

Rifleman,

CAC is open to cadet NCOs as well as cadet officers.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Spam

Quote from: jeders on September 13, 2018, 01:02:26 PM
Rifleman,

We have danced this dance before in previous threads and I am aware of what eservices lets you do just as you should know that the clear intent of the program of record per the pubs is phase appropriate cadet officers.

Feel free to advise Rifleman as you'd like - as I have. His chain and his Wing will have the final say. In my Wing, he as a junior C/NCO would be thanked for his interest and his Commander counseled and he would not be seated on CAC.

Vr
Spam

jeders

Quote from: Spam on September 13, 2018, 01:32:42 PM
Rifleman,

We have danced this dance before in previous threads and I am aware of what eservices lets you do just as you should know that the clear intent of the program of record per the pubs is phase appropriate cadet officers.

Feel free to advise Rifleman as you'd like - as I have. His chain and his Wing will have the final say. In my Wing, he as a junior C/NCO would be thanked for his interest and his Commander counseled and he would not be seated on CAC.

Vr
Spam

You might want to read the actual regulations then.

Quote from: CAPR 60-17.2.1.3. Composite and cadet squadron commanders appoint two cadet NCOs or officers. If the unit does not have qualified cadets available, the position(s) may remain vacant.

Spam

Noted also Rifleman that your sig says you are your units PAO. As thats a senior member job i think you mean to say Cadet PA NCO, right?

(Point being, boundaries do matter if you are following the program, as with CAC).

Best,
Spam

Spam

Quote from: jeders on September 13, 2018, 01:35:22 PM
Quote from: Spam on September 13, 2018, 01:32:42 PM
Rifleman,

Vr
Spam

You might want to read the actual regulations then.

Quote from: CAPR 60-17.2.1.3. Composite and cadet squadron commanders appoint two cadet NCOs or officers. If the unit does not have qualified cadets available, the position(s) may remain vacant.

jeders I did. See the word qualufied. Go reread the old posts. Dont care to re argue this all over again with you.

kwaisun

Thank you all. I am a senior member. We just had a commander change Tuesday night and we were trying to get 2 of our cadet officers in CAC ASAP. We did go to duty assignments and put it in there but when the cadet looks at his eservices it doesn't show up.  From our end it looked like it worked but not the cadets. Not sure of the official deadline for CAC. 60-1 says sept 15 but elsewhere it says sept 1. But our new commander just became active in eservices Tuesday night so trying to get it in before sept 15 at least.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Spam on September 13, 2018, 01:39:02 PM
Noted also Rifleman that your sig says you are your units PAO. As thats a senior member job i think you mean to say Cadet PA NCO, right?

(Point being, boundaries do matter if you are following the program, as with CAC).

Best,
Spam

There is a Senior Squadron and a Cadet Squadron. So there are two PAOs
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

MSG Mac

Quote from: kwaisun on September 13, 2018, 01:48:40 PM
Thank you all. I am a senior member. We just had a commander change Tuesday night and we were trying to get 2 of our cadet officers in CAC ASAP. We did go to duty assignments and put it in there but when the cadet looks at his eservices it doesn't show up.  From our end it looked like it worked but not the cadets. Not sure of the official deadline for CAC. 60-1 says sept 15 but elsewhere it says sept 1. But our new commander just became active in eservices Tuesday night so trying to get it in before sept 15 at least.

Go to Reports, runs the Duty Assignments including cadet positions. It should show up if it went through.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 13, 2018, 02:15:16 PM
Quote from: kwaisun on September 13, 2018, 01:48:40 PM

Go to Reports, runs the Duty Assignments including cadet positions. It should show up if it went through.

Also, there's no urgency around this appointment in regards to a new CC.  It's not one of the things on the
list that needs to be handle within the first 30 days, or for that matter ever.

Your focus should be on Finance, property, organizational contacts, and an SUI self-assessment.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Make sure you have cadets that want to participate in CAC and have a track record of actively staying involves in those types of venues. Some cadets express interest, and then sit idle. It reflects upon the unit and drags everyone else down.

Another thing to consider is your feeling on a cadet's readiness to serve in that capacity. To Spam's point, just because a cadet is a C/NCO, or even a cadet officer, does not mean that person should be placed in that position "because it's all we have." Determine whether this person is going to learn in that role, and have the knowledge and experience to appropriately discuss the topics at hand.

Finally, what do you do when you don't have a cadet who really wants to be in that role? Leave it vacant, and notify Wing as to your reason (the commander should do this, or your Deputy Commander for Cadets). There's nothing wrong with not having a representative on CAC, so long as the reason is because you do not have a cadet eligible, willing, or ready to serve on CAC. Be sure that it's not in avoidance of participating.

Our unit has not been able to get a cadet to stay active in CAC at both the Group and Wing levels. We're trying again this season to get someone to participate. But we've had issues with people committing in the past. I'd personally rather have an empty chair with nobody to fill it than an empty chair with a name plaque in front of it and our unit name underneath.

Do not join CAC and not stay involved. It's obnoxious.

Spam

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 13, 2018, 02:12:02 PM

Best,
Spam

Agreed... every unit is authorized a PAO billet, which is defined as a senior member position (not a cadet one). See CAPR 20-1, Part III, "Senior Member Position Descriptions", page 43, PAO.
See: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R_020001I_2_Jan_13_ICL_17_Nov_15_IC_27DA2EEB6245B.pdf

As you are a cadet, that's not your job, so let's find the right place for you to contribute.  For a discussion on how support Cadet Officer/NCOs are intended to be staffed and organized per the program, take a look at the Cadet Staff Handbook, CAPP 60-31. It doesn't even mention Cadet PAOs or PA NCOs but were I your unit/CC I would absolutely encourage your interest, and socket you correctly in the right job. See cadet support staff position descriptions down around page 50:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Cadet_Staff_Handbook__Nov_16__Web_47474DD79B032.pdf

Keep in mind that CAPP 201 (PAO Specialty Track Study Guide) applies only to senior members, not cadets, and that Cadet PA NCO/Officer is additional duty for you - not your primary specialty - so my sincere advice is to stay focused on progressing as a Cadet NCO and let PA NCO be the icing on the cake.  Best wishes to you!

V/r
Spam

TheSkyHornet

To be fair, the duties in the Cadet Staff Handbook are not set in stone for every unit. You can add positions or leave them vacant as you choose (as a unit commander). The intent and philosophy for staffing needs to remain: to provide opportunities for leadership, learning, and advancement, and grades should be appropriate for the tasking.

QuotePosition descriptions outline the main duties of a command or staff
position. They are a starting point for discussing what responsibilities
are most essential in a given job — they are not written in stone and
do not pretend to be absolutely comprehensive. Commanders may
adjust cadet position descriptions using common sense and good
judgment. What is most important is that each cadet knows what is
expected of him or her and receives some guidance as they begin their
leadership assignment.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Spam on September 13, 2018, 09:48:42 PM

Best,
Spam

Agreed... every unit is authorized a PAO billet, which is defined as a senior member position (not a cadet one). See CAPR 20-1, Part III, "Senior Member Position Descriptions", page 43, PAO.
See: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R_020001I_2_Jan_13_ICL_17_Nov_15_IC_27DA2EEB6245B.pdf

As you are a cadet, that's not your job, so let's find the right place for you to contribute.  For a discussion on how support Cadet Officer/NCOs are intended to be staffed and organized per the program, take a look at the Cadet Staff Handbook, CAPP 60-31. It doesn't even mention Cadet PAOs or PA NCOs but were I your unit/CC I would absolutely encourage your interest, and socket you correctly in the right job. See cadet support staff position descriptions down around page 50:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Cadet_Staff_Handbook__Nov_16__Web_47474DD79B032.pdf

Keep in mind that CAPP 201 (PAO Specialty Track Study Guide) applies only to senior members, not cadets, and that Cadet PA NCO/Officer is additional duty for you - not your primary specialty - so my sincere advice is to stay focused on progressing as a Cadet NCO and let PA NCO be the icing on the cake.  Best wishes to you!

V/r
Spam

This is a separate squadron. There is a senior one and a cadet one. I am in charge of the cadet one.
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Spam on September 13, 2018, 09:48:42 PM

Best,
Spam

V/r
Spam

I also have checked the staff handbook and this is what I was assigned, even thought it is not in the handbook. I am not going to argue with my superiors about my positions
Recruiting NCO

See the source image