Google Exec Breaks Baumgartner's Space Jump Record

Started by Eclipse, October 25, 2014, 06:41:30 PM

NIN

Felix Baumgartner: 3+ years, lots of Red Bull money, at least one lawsuit, a couple false starts, a crapload of media hype, and one gigantic ad for GoPro.
Alan Eustace: 2 years, likely a bunch of his own money, almost no media attention (I know a guy who works for Performance Designs in their marketing department, if they were at liberty to say something, it would have been said before yesterday), and a lash-up worthy of Mr. Wily E. Coyote (Super Genius).

I like the latter approach.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on October 25, 2014, 07:04:38 PM
Felix Baumgartner: 3+ years, lots of Red Bull money, at least one lawsuit, a couple false starts, a crapload of media hype, and one gigantic ad for GoPro.
Alan Eustace: 2 years, likely a bunch of his own money, almost no media attention (I know a guy who works for Performance Designs in their marketing department, if they were at liberty to say something, it would have been said before yesterday), and a lash-up worthy of Mr. Wily E. Coyote (Super Genius).

I like the latter approach.

The only thing missing is ACME!!! ;)

a2capt

1960 ... 2012 ... 2014.

Who's gonna be next?

If it wasn't for the speed of orbit, one could bail out from orbit for the cheapest ever return to Earth...

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on October 25, 2014, 11:27:52 PM
1960 ... 2012 ... 2014.

Who's gonna be next?

If it wasn't for the speed of orbit, one could bail out from orbit for the cheapest ever return to Earth...

If Captain Kirk could do it in Star Trek....

ColonelJack

Quote from: PHall on October 26, 2014, 12:07:58 AM
1960 ... 2012 ... 2014.

Who's gonna be next?

Well, yes ... Sulu did it too ... both over Vulcan!

Unless you're referring to the deleted scene from "Star Trek: Generations" where Kirk sky-dived (sky-dove?) from orbit and Scotty told him off about doing too much?  Since that was clipped, it isn't normally considered "canon" of Trek.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

NIN

I weep for our aerospace program. Haven't you guys ever heard of orbital velocity?

Basically, only a balloon or a sub orbital space craft is going to be able to take somebody up for that kind of parachute jump without dealing with massive amounts of atmospheric heating. Trying to scrub off 11500 miles an hour of orbital velocity with your body is going to be somewhat exfoliating
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

arajca

1960 ... 2012 ... 2014.

Who's gonna be next?

You mean LT Kirk, right?

ColonelJack

Quote from: arajca on October 26, 2014, 10:53:08 PM
1960 ... 2012 ... 2014.

Who's gonna be next?

You mean LT Kirk, right?

Well, technically, it was Midshipman Kirk ... third year at the Academy and all.  One great mission and he jumps to O-6 and command of the Federation flagship.

Talk about a meteoric rise!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on October 26, 2014, 10:24:18 PM
I weep for our aerospace program. Haven't you guys ever heard of orbital velocity?

Orbital what now? 

Our Aerospace Program consists of copying something called a "Plan of Action" from some other unit and then documenting
that it was submitted. 

What's that got to do what Velocitawhatchamacallits?

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 27, 2014, 12:05:39 AM
Quote from: NIN on October 26, 2014, 10:24:18 PM

Orbital what now? 

Our Aerospace Program consists of copying something called a "Plan of Action" from some other unit and then documenting
that it was submitted. 

What's that got to do what Velocitawhatchamacallits?

*sigh*

Mr. Coyote called, wants me to rig up his ACME balloon for a space jump for his buddy Yogi:

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

LSThiker

Quote from: ColonelJack on October 26, 2014, 11:20:42 PM
Quote from: arajca on October 26, 2014, 10:53:08 PM
1960 ... 2012 ... 2014.

Who's gonna be next?

You mean LT Kirk, right?

Well, technically, it was Midshipman Kirk ... third year at the Academy and all.  One great mission and he jumps to O-6 and command of the Federation flagship.

Talk about a meteoric rise!

Jack

Oy.  Never reference the abomination called Star Trek.  It was Capt Kirk and he did it in Star Trek Generations (deleted scene).

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 30, 2014, 12:25:58 AM
If it is a deleted scene it does not count.

It's on the DVD. It's an offical Paramount Pictures DVD. So does it count?

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

lordmonar

Okay.....who here has graduated from star fleet academy? (yes I got a certificate and everything)

Okay.....the rules on cannon.........if it was in the films, on tv, in one of the DVD, VHS, laser discs....it is cannon.

So Captain Kirk did skydive from orbit.....and Rene Auberjonois was a starfleet admiral.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on October 30, 2014, 01:52:08 AM
Okay.....who here has graduated from star fleet academy? (yes I got a certificate and everything)

Okay.....the rules on cannon.........if it was in the films, on tv, in one of the DVD, VHS, laser discs....it is cannon.

So Captain Kirk did skydive from orbit.....and Rene Auberjonois was a starfleet admiral.

Don't forget the Painless Pole, too.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

Quote from: lordmonar on October 30, 2014, 01:52:08 AM

...who, for some reason, was referred to as "Colonel West."  Things that make you go hmmmm....

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

LSThiker

Quote from: ColonelJack on October 30, 2014, 12:06:23 PM
...who, for some reason, was referred to as "Colonel West."  Things that make you go hmmmm....

Jack

A shapeshifter already in the mist that tried to start a war between the Klingons and the Federation.  Hmmmm  :)

The Star Trek executives admitted that the costume department was very inconsistent on rank.  After all, even the rank insignia of Chief O'Brien in ST:TNG changed from Chief to Ensign to Lt.  It was not until DS9 that it was finalized as a Chief pip.  A few other rank insignia constantly changed as well for all of the Star Treks.   

NIN

I thought I had problems with the ladies... And then you nerds showed up.

:)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP