Main Menu

CFI Checkride

Started by etodd, March 05, 2020, 03:54:23 AM

etodd

Passed the FOI last week with a 92, and hoping I'll do as well on the FIA next week. Starting to write out lesson plans on the 75 or so possible subject areas listed in the PTS. Will practice teaching all those until I can do them in my sleep, then I'll schedule the checkride.

The previous threads about this are quite a few years old. If anyone has taken their CFI checkride semi recently, I'd sure appreciate any tidbits of advice, and stories of how your's went.

(Know everything!!!)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Cliff_Chambliss

Notes in bullet form so...
1.  Unless its changed in the last year or so, use of commercially prepared lesson plans are acceptable.
2.  For the oral, take everything you own (reference).  Its important to know what information is in what reference, so study the tables of contents and indexes.  To avoid carrying a 28lb stack of books, I would suggest copying every reference listed in the ACS Guide onto your tablet. 
3.  ACS Testing Training Aid 1:  toy airplane and 2x2' postits.  attach the postits to each control surface so you can demonstrate control displacement in various maneuvers.
4.  On the oral, remember the "universal right answer (URA)"  If unsure, just say "let me check on that" and then pull the appropriate reference.  (This is where knowing what's in what reference (table of contents/Index) pays off.  HOWEVER: don't overuse the "URA".
5.  On the flight portion remember as soon as you see a maneuver going south break it off.  You can get a do over once.  However if the examiner calls a break it off, its over.
6.  If it doesn't feel right you can call for a dis-continuance of the exam.  I believe for 14 days, and it will not count as a bust or fail.
7.  Keep hydrated.
8.  Call for a pee break every hour.  So you don't need it, but it gives you a couple of minutes to help clear the head.
9.  Don't expect to be perfect.
10.  Chances are at some point the examiner is going to try to "teach" you something.  At least pretend you are highly interested even though you already know what they are saying/doing.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

etodd

^^^ Great info. Thanks!

KaiE

I will be taking my CFI ride this spring also, so I'll post here to get notifications as well :) Also, it's my first time taking a checkride in a CAP plane. Nobody in my squadron has ever done one, so I have nobody to ask. How does this get entered in WMIRS?

etodd

Quote from: KaiE on March 10, 2020, 05:15:38 AMNobody in my squadron has ever done one, so I have nobody to ask. How does this get entered in WMIRS?

As a self-funded C12 flight.  When you try to add the DPE to the right seat, you will not find him/her in the dropdown list, so scroll all the way to the bottom to "Sign In New Member".  It will open a new window. Add his/her name and list as a FAA DPE. Close the box and it'll add them to the right seat. Make them a Passenger.

Simple.  :)

KaiE

Quote from: etodd on March 10, 2020, 02:04:47 PM
Quote from: KaiE on March 10, 2020, 05:15:38 AMNobody in my squadron has ever done one, so I have nobody to ask. How does this get entered in WMIRS?

As a self-funded C12 flight.  When you try to add the DPE to the right seat, you will not find him/her in the dropdown list, so scroll all the way to the bottom to "Sign In New Member".  It will open a new window. Add his/her name and list as a FAA DPE. Close the box and it'll add them to the right seat. Make them a Passenger.

Simple.  :)

Thank you for the answer. Except in this case I suppose I have to add him to left seat and myself to the right seat since it's a CFI checkride :)

etodd

Quote from: KaiE on April 06, 2020, 07:26:12 PMThank you for the answer. Except in this case I suppose I have to add him to left seat and myself to the right seat since it's a CFI checkride :)

For sure.  I'm ready for my CFI Checkride as well, but my Wing is in full stop with our airplanes until the end of this month. Hopefully we will start flying in May. Already putting me a month behind.