Wool socks still recommended?

Started by xray328, July 06, 2015, 01:23:42 PM

xray328

Hey guys, just going down the encampment packing list.  Wool boot socks were always recommeded back in the day, but I'm now seeing "anti-microbial" socks as GI issue.  Any opinions either way?  I know there's also the $15 a pair socks, but I can't afford those.

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pr-Mens-US-Army-WOOL-Blend-CREW-Boot-Socks-w-Cushion-Sole-BLACK-LG-10-13-/391167993336?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b136de5f8

Versus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-PAIR-OF-USOA-GI-MILITARY-SURPLUS-ANTI-MICROBIAL-BOOT-SOCK-OD-GREEN-Athletic-/291087256028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item43c62709dc

abdsp51

Don't skimp on socks it'll be better for you and your cadets in the long run.

THRAWN

Good socks are among the most important pieces of gear. That being said, you can get decent wool socks for way less than you're thinking. Try places like Wally World or Sports Authority or Dick's. Don't get hung up on the source. I've gotten socks from Wally World for under $5 per pair and they hold up well.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

xray328

I agree, whats recommended?  Wool still?  Those "anti-microbial" ones are 82% cotton with 2.5%" silver plaited nylon".

The GI issue woll socks in that ebay ad are $12 for 6 pairs, so price is great, if those will work?

THRAWN

Use wool. It's a natural fiber and has worked for centuries. Go with what you know. I have used wool for going on 25 years. I got a pair of the "latest technology" from a well meaning lass. Never had more blisters and a less comfortable hike.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

Quote from: xray328 on July 06, 2015, 01:49:01 PM
I agree, whats recommended?  Wool still?  Those "anti-microbial" ones are 82% cotton with 2.5%" silver plaited nylon".

The GI issue woll socks in that ebay ad are $12 for 6 pairs, so price is great, if those will work?

Never use cotton.  It is a horrible fabric that when wet retains no heating ability and takes a while to dry.

Use either wool or polyester.  The fabrics are "breathable" and quick to dry.  In addition, when wet they will retain heat.  For combat boots, as opposed to any form of hiking boot or shoe, wool socks are best.  They help reduce the irritation and prevent blistering, which of course a correctly fitted and broken in pair of boots will also do.  Polyester socks in combat boots can unfortunately add to the irritation and cause more blisters.   

Basic wool socks will work.  However, there are some new blends of wool.  Smart Wool PhD socks are wonderful, but they do not come in straight black as per CAPM 39-1.  Merino wool, from Merino sheep, is wonderful and is a better form of wool that has been traditionally gotten from market sheep (i.e. Dorper, Hampshire, Suffolk) .  You can find straight black merino wool socks. 

Nevertheless, it comes all down to your feet's preferences. 

HGjunkie

If it helps, nobody will really care if your socks are black or OD green. I always found it easier to find better green socks than the black ones. And polyester socks aren't a bad choice 100% of the time but you would have to splurge for UA or some other top brand.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

xray328

Kids have those pricey running socks, maybe a pair of those underneath?

LSThiker

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 06, 2015, 02:24:44 PM
If it helps, nobody will really care if your socks are black or OD green.

It is for encampment.  Unfortunately, I think we all know how "military" some cadets and seniors get with encampment.  Sometimes best to stay out of the dog house as a just in case measure.

But yes, in the real world, both military and CAP, no one really cares.  My BDU socks are black on top with some toe designs.

Quote from: xray328 on July 06, 2015, 02:31:26 PM
Kids have those pricey running socks, maybe a pair of those underneath?

Those running socks are probably the polyester socks.  They can be good to add.  However, a thing to consider is fit.  Will adding more socks keep proper fit (i.e. not too tight).  Also, will the feet get too warm? 

For me, I am not a fan of adding more socks except when my feet are seriously cold.  Again, that is personal preference. 

xray328

Yeah, I was thinking they might get hot too with two pairs.

Guess the best thing to do is pick up a pair and wear them before for a day a week or so before encampment.

HGjunkie

Quote from: LSThiker on July 06, 2015, 02:35:15 PM
It is for encampment.  Unfortunately, I think we all know how "military" some cadets and seniors get with encampment.  Sometimes best to stay out of the dog house as a just in case measure.

I may have just gotten away with it, but I wore green socks pretty much the entire time I was active in the program. But true, don't temp it if you don't have to.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MIKE

I use the DSCP issue black cushion sole boot socks.  Sportsman's Guide used to sell 6 or 12 packs of seconds quality cushion soles, but I'm not seeing them now.
Mike Johnston

Tim Day

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 06, 2015, 02:48:43 PM

I may have just gotten away with it, but I wore green socks pretty much the entire time I was active in the program. But true, don't temp it if you don't have to.
Of course, if they can see your socks you're out of uniform due to not wearing your boots or improperly blousing your trousers.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

LSThiker

Quote from: Tim Day on July 06, 2015, 07:19:04 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on July 06, 2015, 02:48:43 PM

Of course, if they can see your socks you're out of uniform due to not wearing your boots or improperly blousing your trousers.

That is not necessarily true.  There are times when it is appropriate to remove your boots.  For example, I administered a CPFT while I was wearing BDUs.  The gymnasium I went to would not allow me to wear boots on the floor.  Then there was a time we were doing a group exercise and used a room with a padded floor.  Again, had to take my boots off.

MIKE

WIWAC socks (properly rolled) and everything else... including undies, was an inspection item.  As long as everything is as per CAPM 39-1 or as further specified in the packing list you should be good to go.
Mike Johnston

abdsp51

Good quality socks and boots will go a long way to preventing foot issues later. 

Pylon

I have spent a lot of time in boots and agree that having the right socks can make a noticeable impact on both comfort and foot health. Of all the pieces of "kit" you can invest in, socks is one that I personally wouldn't skimp on if you plan on spending time in boots. 

While these tend to be sold closer to $8-10/pair, I personally swear by the Under Armour HeatGear Boot Sock.  They breathe, they dry rapidly, they are comfortable, they don't slip down on your calf, and they fight odor.  These have stood up well for me, sometimes for days of continual wear of the same pair, in both two deserts and in a relative swampland, as well as on countless miles of ruck marching. 

Bonus: UA makes these in black, brown, and foliage green so you can meet CAPM 39-1 color standards.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

The military has cost as a major consideration.  Cotton is cheap.  Cotton also sucks.  As they say, "cotton kills."

Wool or synthetic.  SmartWool is an excellent brand.  No itch.  They hold up to weekly machine washing.