Risk of Some Women'sCancers Rises With Duration of Obesity

Started by RNOfficer, September 01, 2016, 01:14:48 AM

RNOfficer

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Obesity/59733?xid=nl_mpt_Weekly_Education_2016-08-31&eun=g5826017d1r

A longer overweight duration significantly increased the risk of all obesity-related cancers combined (multivariable-adjusted hazard ratio 1.07 per 10-year increment, 95% CI 1.06 to 1.09). For postmenopausal breast cancer and endometrial cancer, every 10-year increase in adulthood overweight duration was associated with a 5% and 17% increase in risk, respectively, with these rates rising to 8% and 37% after adjustment for degree of overweight.

Problems with study: BMI is not an ideal measure for body fat since it does not differentiate fatty tissue from lean tissue and bone; retrospective self-reports of BMI may be subject to error; and non-Hispanic white women comprised 84% of the study population.

EMT-83

Luis R. Ramos

Annoying?

No one is forcing you to read them. See the title, don't open them.

Move on.

There have been others I find annoying or stupid, and I just go on.

Example, the one about the CAPID barcode. Very stupid. Yet I did not bash that one.

Another one is that thread about the Star Trek lessons on leadership. I did bash it, but this bashing led to a serious discussion.

Anyway back here. Annoys you? Ignore it!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

EMT-83

One has to presume that anyone reading CAPTalk has Internet access and is fully capable of Googling obscure medical articles on their own.

etodd

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Luis R. Ramos

Yeah, it is professional jealousy.

EMT is going "why didn't I think of doing THAT first?"

>:D

[Edited to correct post]
Squadron Safety Officer

Luis R. Ramos

I may have the Internet, and I may know how to Google, but I am swamped by the miriad little things I have to do.

I have to use three different email systems. Etc.

I do appreciate the little extra help that EMT gives when he posts these!

Again, you don't like them? Ignore them!
Squadron Safety Officer

EMT-83

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 01, 2016, 03:08:41 AM
Yeah, it is professional jealousy.

RN is going "why didn't I think of doing THAT first?"

>:D

Professional jealousy? Not likely.

The RN has apparently appointed him/her-self as the CAPTalk HSO, and feels the need to bombard the forum with random content found online.

Thinking it through, it does kind of demonstrate the lack of purpose of the entire HSO program.

AirAux

Let's not forget that the risk of all cancers increase with smoking and that the incident of failed surgeries or poor healing increase due to smoking....  People have to eat, they don't have to smoke.

Luis R. Ramos

Just like you, and others, have bombarded this board with random content.

Squadron Safety Officer

AirAux

While you, on the other hand, post for no other reason than to criticize?

abdsp51

These posts don't need to be here.  This is health stuff which CAP is not in the business of. 

And seeing how none of these articles pertain to safety,  they should be axed or the mods create a new sub forum for health stuff. 

Luis is right we don't like it don't read it.  On the other this is not the medium to post web based health articles.  Other venues for it. 

AirAux

That is the most asinine response I have ever heard.  Cap is not in the health business?  Why do we have a PT program?  Everyone in CAP should be aware of health risks.  We are influencing our youth.  Are we allowed to drink or smoke around cadets?  I think not.  Obviously we are in the business of health.  Are we not concerned that our ground teams are physically fit?  Are we not concerned that our flight crews are physically fit?  Just as our safety program is mandatory to remind us to be safe, our health program should strive to remind us to maintain good health.

And as you have said, if you don't want to read it, that is your prerogative.   

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on September 01, 2016, 04:30:15 PMCap is not in the health business?
No, it it not.

Quote from: AirAux on September 01, 2016, 04:30:15 PM
Why do we have a PT program?
CAP adult members do not have a PT program.

Everyone in CAP should be aware of health risks.
Yes, they should.

Are we allowed to drink or smoke around cadets?  I think not.
You are incorrect.

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

That is the most asinine response I have ever heard.  Cap is not in the health business?

Not Really.

QuoteWhy do we have a PT program?

The Cadets have one for advancement. Not really a program to make them healthy. If they chose to do the bare minimum it won't make them healthy. Not one for SMs at all.

QuoteEveryone in CAP should be aware of health risks.

As should any person, that's why there's health websites out there.

QuoteWe are influencing our youth.  Are we allowed to drink or smoke around cadets?  I think not.  Obviously we are in the business of health

Being role models to cadets don't make us in the business of health. Quite opposite really. All a SM has to do is go around the corner. Nothing says you can't smoke at a CAP event period. Just don't let the kiddies see you and I don't even think that is a rule either. I'll have to double check.

QuoteAre we not concerned that our ground teams are physically fit?  Are we not concerned that our flight crews are physically fit?

Not really. Besides the cursory ORM, I really can't think of anything that would preclude an unfit person participating in any event. There's some big ole airplane drivers out there. No PT for us, No weigh ins. The last place a SM looking to get healthy is going to be CAPTALK or CAP in generally really.

QuoteJust as our safety program is mandatory to remind us to be safe, our health program should strive to remind us to maintain good health.

Again, we really don't have a health program. I don't think I've ever seen an HSO in person. Kind of like the mysterious USMC CWO-5 and unicorns, although I'll probably see a unicorn before an HSO.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

jeders

Quote from: stillamarine on September 01, 2016, 04:43:29 PM
QuoteJust as our safety program is mandatory to remind us to be safe, our health program should strive to remind us to maintain good health.

Again, we really don't have a health program. I don't think I've ever seen an HSO in person. Kind of like the mysterious USMC CWO-5 and unicorns, although I'll probably see a unicorn before an HSO.

I've seen several HSOs. Most of the time they kind of just take up space because there is no CAP health program.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

THRAWN

Quote from: jeders on September 01, 2016, 05:13:01 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on September 01, 2016, 04:43:29 PM

I've seen several HSOs. Most of the time they kind of just take up space because there is no CAP health program.

AND they refuse to reclass into something useful that has an actual program...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Live2Learn

Quote from: RNOfficer on September 01, 2016, 01:14:48 AM
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Obesity/59733?xid=nl_mpt_Weekly_Education_2016-08-31&eun=g5826017d1r

A longer overweight duration significantly increased the risk of all obesity-related cancers combined (multivariable-adjusted hazard ratio 1.07 per 10-year increment, 95% CI 1.06 to 1.09). For postmenopausal breast cancer and endometrial cancer, every 10-year increase in adulthood overweight duration was associated with a 5% and 17% increase in risk, respectively, with these rates rising to 8% and 37% after adjustment for degree of overweight.

Problems with study: BMI is not an ideal measure for body fat since it does not differentiate fatty tissue from lean tissue and bone; retrospective self-reports of BMI may be subject to error; and non-Hispanic white women comprised 84% of the study population.

Useful stuff.  Keep it coming.

As to the detractors... have a beer, light up, enjoy a cheeseburger or three, and SQUEEZE into your uniform or flightsuit.   ::)

abdsp51

Quote from: Live2Learn on September 01, 2016, 05:42:55 PM
Quote from: RNOfficer on September 01, 2016, 01:14:48 AM

Useful stuff.  Keep it coming.

As to the detractors... have a beer, light up, enjoy a cheeseburger or three, and SQUEEZE into your uniform or flightsuit.   ::)

Would you say the same thing if say a Chaplain was making posts filled with religous overtones?

AirAux

There it is Edith, some meathead always has to muddy the waters with some political correctness BS.  Health has nothing to do with religion.  And Eclipse, if I catch you drinking or smoking around Cadets, I will place a call to my local Wing Commander and personally file a complaint on you.  Wouldn't be the first to be 2b'ed for inappropriate action of a senior member.