The Deadliest Day of Year Year is Almost Upon US

Started by RNOfficer, December 25, 2016, 01:06:55 AM

RNOfficer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/30/the-deadliest-day-of-the-year-is-almost-upon-us/

New Years Day is the deadliest day of the year for deaths from NATURAL causes. Sure, you would expect lots of deaths from drunk driving but why natural causes? (Historically, 1 JAN is the FIFTH most deadly day on the road. Most of the deadly days occur in the Summer, probably because more driving in done).

Several theories for high rate of NATURAL deaths.  No hard evidence.

1. Less experienced and understaffed ER staff on duty on holidays?

2. People put off going to ER because want to be with family and think pain is just indigestion from over-indulging in food and drink?. Over-indulgence pains can mimic heart attack.

3. Medications that raise blood pressure: decongestants: seudoephedrine, ephedrine, phenylephrine, naphazoline and oxymetazoline.

Illegal drugs:
Amphetamines, including methamphetamine
Anabolic steroids
Cocaine

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/blood-pressure/art-20045245

4, Holiday stress?

5. Maybe the old myth has some truth, some people stay alive just long enough to enjoy one more Christmas with their family?

DakRadz

In my 5 short years of EMS experience I've seen several people who made it known they were living for Christmas with the family.

I'd wager it isn't just a myth, or not nearly as much of one as some would claim.

1st Lt Raduenz

Eclipse

Since a death by "natural cause" is, by definition, one which is not directly attributable to external forces, how is this a "safety" issue?

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2016, 07:02:24 PM
Since a death by "natural cause" is, by definition, one which is not directly attributable to external forces, how is this a "safety" issue?
Eh, you can survive a heart attack much easier 20 minutes into it than 4 hours into it.

Some of what was listed is not actually natural, such as illegal drugs and the "less experienced ER staff" (that can affect you in a car crash, etc.)

So there are some nuggets here.

1st Lt Raduenz

Eclipse

The point of safety training is to identify causes of mishaps with an eye towards not repeating them,
not regurgitate clickbait, which in a lot of squadrons is all it amounts to.

The article makes some WAGS at reasoning, but in the end basically says " no one knows, and no one really cares".

Beyond advising people "not to die", there's no avoidable cause here.

Presenting a safety briefing that says "20% of you in this room will be dead by year's end, but we have no idea 'why', nor
anyway to prevent it, also, no one is really looking into it..." serves no purpose.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I'd share my Safety Briefing but it'd get me kicked off of CAP Talk.
Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

Awww... can't you clean it up a bit? I've heard it, and it's good.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on December 27, 2016, 05:34:30 AM
Awww... can't you clean it up a bit? I've heard it, and it's good.  ;)

Dave, if he cleaned it up it would be boring... ;)

RNOfficer

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2016, 07:10:07 PM

The article makes some WAGS at reasoning, but in the end basically says " no one knows, and no one really cares".

no one is really looking into it..." serves no purpose.

Unfortunately, you are completely mistaken. It is true that no one knows for sure why 1 January is the deadliest day of the year but it is certainly an issue that the epidemiology community cares deeply about as do those members of the public that are informed and not stupid.. It is a difficult issue to research which is why there is no consensus yet about the causes.

Permit me to make some concert suggestions:

1. Quality of emergency care on holidays. Hospitals vary greatly in quality especially in emergency services. Research your local hospitals and use the best one in an emergency. Here are some sources:

https://www.cms.gov/medicare/quality-initiatives-patient-assessment-instruments/hospitalqualityinits/hospitalcompare.html

https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcompare/About/Hospital-overall-ratings.html

http://www.amtrauma.org/?page=traumalevels

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2012/02/22/hospitals-ranked-for-emergency-medicine-quality

http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/100-great-hospitals-2015/full-list-15.html

You might ask your PCP which hospital he/she would use in an emergency.

2. Monitor the your own health status and those of your loved ones. Don't postpone getting emergency care because you don't want to upset others or ruin a holiday. Eat and drink in moderation so you can determine whether you are experiencing signs and symptoms that require emergency care. Urge other to do likewise.

3-4. Discuss with your PCP provider or pharmacist any OTC medications or "supplements" before taking them. Just because a medication is OTC does not mean it is safe for you, especially when combined with prescription medications. Almost all "health supplements" and homeopathic "remedies" are medically useless but some can have very significant side-effects, especially when combined with prescription or OTC meds. Have a readily available list of medications, OTCs, and supplements that you take and indicate on it when they have actually been taken. This information would be invaluable in an emergency and you may be unable to speak or recall.

My HMO has 24 telephone advice. Find out if you have access to such a service.

If you have higher blood pressure. Monitor it at home.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20047889?pg=2

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2016/02/best-home-blood-pressure-monitor/index.htm (Actual reviews are available only to subscribers but virtually all public libraries have Consumer Reports)

Be certain the food is properly prepared and stored.

4. Manage stress productively

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/stress-relief/art-20044476

Exercise and meditation are proven was to reduce stress.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/meditation/in-depth/meditation/art-20045858

5. Don't ignore feelings of hopelessness and despair about the future. Seek medical and spiritual help. Feelings of depression are sometimes related to medication and medication dosage. Discuss your emotions as well as physical issues with your PCP and any specialties that you see.

As for the poster who stated "Since a death by "natural cause" is, by definition, one which is not directly attributable to external forces, how is this a "safety" issue?", you are absolutely mistaken. Perhaps you have not thought about this very clearly.

Many deaths by natural cause are preventable and the causes avoidable and treatable. For example, heart disease is the leading cause of "natural death" in the US but there are many, many things that one can do to reduce the risk of heart disease, just as there are many things one can do to reduce the risk of dying by cancer, or for that matter dying from a fall from a ladder or an uncontrolled collision with terrain.

I hope these more specific suggestions and references help our members have a healthy new year.

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2016, 07:02:24 PM

You might be operating an airplane on New Year's day...and after reviewing the ORM you shouldn't have been flying because of the anecdotal higher "Natural Cause" death may occur...while not impacting life (Presuming, you were going to die anyway), it's safety because it may result in the unintended loss or damage of property.

>:D

Eclipse

Quote from: RNOfficer on December 28, 2016, 01:16:06 AM

And then do what?  Move?  Because if you're not in his neighborhood when you dial
911, it won't matter because EMS takes you where they take you.

Many deaths by natural cause are preventable and the causes avoidable and treatable. For example, heart disease is the leading cause of "natural death" in the US but there are many, many things that one can do to reduce the risk of heart disease, just as there are many things one can do to reduce the risk of dying by cancer, or for that matter dying from a fall from a ladder or an uncontrolled collision with terrain.

The list above is essentially everything possible and plausible to do to prevent dying, which even if done
properly and timely will not deny the inevitable, nor is it in any way, except anecdotally, to New Year's.

If you haven't done the above by the 30th, it won't matter if you do it on the 31st.

"That Others May Zoom"

RNOfficer

Quote from: Eclipse on January 02, 2017, 05:58:42 AM

And then do what?  Move?  Because if you're not in his neighborhood when you dial
911, it won't matter because EMS takes you where they take you.

Maybe you have only one hospital in your area. Other readers, like myself, have several. Some EMS will take you to the hospital of your choice if distances are similar. In any case, you can request a transfer to another hospital after you are stabilized. My HMO pays for this.

QuoteThe list above is essentially everything possible and plausible to do to prevent dying, which even if done
properly and timely will not deny the inevitable, nor is it in any way, except anecdotally, to New Year's.

If you haven't done the above by the 30th, it won't matter if you do it on the 31st.

By definition, nothing can delay the inevitable. However, as explained many causes of illness and death are under some degree of control and the advice provided can help one control these. It's never too late to start living a healthier life.

Eclipse

Quote from: RNOfficer on January 02, 2017, 10:12:50 PM
By definition, nothing can delay deny the inevitable. However, as explained many causes of illness and death are under some degree of control and the advice provided can help one control these. It's never too late to start living a healthier life.

No one can argue that point, however it has nothing to do with the "deadliest day of the year" click bait all over the web, nor is
telling members "not to do stuff that kills you" of any value but running the clock in a CAP Safety paradigm.

In terms of "safety" briefings related to CAP, you'd be better off advising your members to ignore articles like this
"A scary thing happens, we don't know why, and no one is really looking into it.  DON'T DIE!" that
draw their time and attention as advice on internet safety.

There was a similar one the other day - "Snow in Hawaii!" It was about 4 paragraphs in before they mentioned that's normal.
Click, click, click.

"That Others May Zoom"

Live2Learn

This thread is makes me think about KFLL and their handling of a mass shooting today in the baggage claim area.  http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gunman-opens-fire-at-ft-lauderdale-airport-killing-five/ar-BBxYYvv?ocid=spartandhp

Interesting tactic.  Checked firearm, ammo perhaps (not said) in another bag prior to a flight into the US from Canada.  Regardless, both available weapon and ammo were at the baggage carousels, and NO GUARDS or SECURITY were anywhere near by....  The 'bad guys' sometimes really do their homework.  With a large number of people disarmed by the current rules, AND despite being outside of the 'secure' area people with CWP are "strongly advised" not to carry anywhere in the terminal, the crowd was evidently easy pickin's.

Note that the article says the shooter "reloaded..." evidently quite calmly.  Where were defenders when all this was happening?  I've been through a lot of baggage claim areas in a lot of US airports.  I don't recall ever seeing armed officers in that area, they're always by TSA at the security checkpoints, sometimes outside watching traffic arriving/departing.

According to the article "The shooter was unharmed as law enforcement officers never fired a shot..."   Good for the shooter, but where were people in the crowd who could have attacked him while he reloaded?

What's wrong with this picture?  Are there lessons for CAP members who might regularly visit crowded areas with no immediate armed security presence?  Perhaps the year's "deadliest day" is relative to where you, I, or anyone we care about might be. 

FWIW, I hear through the grapevine that "procedures" are gonna change (soon!) at airport baggage areas now that some flaws have been identified.

It's a very sad event.  I feel for those who must pick up the pieces after the loss or serious injury of a loved one.

John

THRAWN

And those enhanced measures will be in place for 6 months or a year before people start complaining about TSA being too invasive and causing delay of travel and so on. Baggage areas have been an issue forever. There was a plan to secure them but during the field tests people complained. Now they want them. Typically reactive thinking.

This is a tough case when you consider the mental illness component. There has been chatter about why this doer wasn't on the no fly list or why other restrictions were not placed on him. The answer is not restricting the rights of sick people. He is supposedly a veteran. He should have been kept on active duty and given aggressive treatment as opposed to being released into the wild.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

etodd

Quote from: Live2Learn on January 07, 2017, 08:00:08 AM

FWIW, I hear through the grapevine that "procedures" are gonna change (soon!) at airport baggage areas now that some flaws have been identified.

So next time the guy loads up in the parking lot instead of near baggage claim and starts shooting outside. There is no perfect solution.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Live2Learn

Quote from: etodd on January 07, 2017, 05:46:57 PM

So next time the guy loads up in the parking lot instead of near baggage claim and starts shooting outside. There is no perfect solution.

Absolutely correct.  Just situation appropriate tactics, and maybe layers.  Some of the discussion I've heard of is pushing the secure area to the sidewalk (which has a WHOLE RAFT of issues... thinking of 'attack trucks') or requiring all pax to park remote from terminals and take a shuttle in with some form of Israeli style pre-screening at each step before the metal detectors and conveyor belts.  Of course, that doesn't address bus stations, train stations, schools, malls, courts, etc,  So that gets us back to individual tactics.

Spam

Great points; those are very good tactical level precautions.

Unfortunately we need to look at the strategic issues as well (i.e. yet another muslim shooter, here) to reduce our national risk exposure, and I'm not sure that I see that happening.

V/r
Spam
PS... how did this get under safety? Its getting pretty far afield now!

Live2Learn

Quote from: Spam on January 11, 2017, 05:42:37 PM
Great points; ...
V/r
Spam
PS... how did this get under safety? Its getting pretty far afield now!

Every conversation is prone to thread drift.  It all began on a dark and stormy night when someone suggested "The Deadliest Day of the Year is Almost Upon Us"... then it was so. 

AirAux

Well, what is the uniform of the day for the deadliest day of the year????

Cebman21

Quote from: AirAux on January 12, 2017, 02:15:48 PM
Well, what is the uniform of the day for the deadliest day of the year????
PT gear lol
Mitchell award 66931

CAPDCCMOM

Thonawit

Actually it will be the new Cadet Safety Bubble, to be worn with all uniforms and all activities

Regularly contradicts, contradicted CAP Regulations...

RogueLeader

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on January 12, 2017, 05:03:40 PM
>:D Mess Dress of course

There's been a couple of my rough days that I've put on my Mess Dress to get me through the moment to save me from those disastrous thoughts.  It can help.

Seriously.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spam

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 12, 2017, 11:49:23 PM
Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on January 12, 2017, 05:03:40 PM
>:D Mess Dress of course

There's been a couple of my rough days that I've put on my Mess Dress to get me through the moment to save me from those disastrous thoughts.  It can help.

Seriously.

Rogue Leader, I just keep laughing, thinking of you dressed in Mess Dress or Class A's, holding off the barbarians with a crew served weapon like General Jack D. Ripper from Dr. Strangelove: "I do deny them my bodily essences"!!!

Luis R. Ramos

I guess I should NOT quit my day job... Last night at the meeting I showed the Cadet Safety Bubble as the Cadet Protection Uniform as the newest uniform, and that I expected all cadets to get it.

I only got a few low chuckles. I suspect that some did it because they wanted to be polite.

;)

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer