NHQ looking for the next National Command Chief of CAP

Started by Falling Hare, February 09, 2018, 06:55:17 PM

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Fubar on February 21, 2018, 01:35:53 AM
Quote from: ColonelJack on February 20, 2018, 11:06:36 PMWhile I don't include you specifically in my original question, I do still wonder why some people would join a military-styled organization and then complain about the military aspects of it.  That, I may never understand.

Maybe I'm wearing rose colored glasses, but I think the complaints only come in when the "military aspects" waste a volunteer's time, or even worse impact mission performance. Really the only "military aspects" we run into are uniforms and a mostly irrelevant grade structure (to bring this back around to the alleged need for a command chief), which can certainly irritate those who find other aspects of CAP more interesting.

What's of course important to remember is in the Venn diagram of people who were attracted by wearing military uniforms (without having to be in the military) and people who couldn't care less about uniforms, there's still a large overlap between the two groups of other aspects that were also contributing factors on joining CAP. The two groups have more in common than not, but still get hung up on the differences.

People see what they want to see when it comes to recruiting. The folks that dig wearing military uniforms see a wonderful opportunity, people who don't dig military uniforms see people wearing polo shirts. Really it's win-win, yet the argument rages on.

I agree with the bulk of this post.

I do, however, want to extend a thought that the role of the NCO, particularly the senior-most in the organization, does bring in some military bearing with it, particularly considering that military service is a pre-requisite.

So there is a time and place for "military-isms" in CAP. It's not every aspect, but there is an appropriate moment here and there. I think the key is in reinforcing corps values (yes, corps), unity, and mission. That bearing can help with this.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 20, 2018, 11:06:36 PM
While I don't include you specifically in my original question, I do still wonder why some people would join a military-styled organization and then complain about the military aspects of it.  That, I may never understand.

Jack

Likewise. 

Was going to write more and decided to not write.