Not CAP, but good reminder [Could be "safety" or "Aviation etc..."]

Started by Live2Learn, January 18, 2018, 08:23:14 PM

Live2Learn

While taxiing yesterday a (not CAP) C182T got blown over by an American Airlines aircraft on the runway.  How far should we stay back from a large transport category aircraft?  Yep, a long way.  See 70-1 at 9.10.4.3 for a minimum distance at taxi power.  I think I'd like a lot further separation if the transport aircraft is applying takeoff thrust.  :O   I can think of several scenarios where this could happen to the unwary Cessna pilot/aircrew at both towered and uncontrolled airports.  Details aren't available yet.

17-JAN-18

Time: 15:36:00Z
Regis#: N5330A
Aircraft Make: CESSNA
Aircraft Model: T182T
Event Type: INCIDENT
Highest Injury: NONE
Aircraft Missing: No
Damage: MINOR

City: PHOENIX
State: ARIZONA

DESCRIPTION

Description: AIRCRAFT BLOWN OVER BY AMERICAN AIRLINES FLIGHT 1709 A319 ON RUNWAY, STRUCK LEFT WING ON RUNWAY, PHOENIX AZ

etodd

I wonder if the C182 pilot had the ailerons 'into the wind' of the jet taking off? And the elevators in the proper position?

I think of that while taxiing, but not sure I always think of the wind coming off a jet, that may be in a different direction that surface winds.

If you can't stop on the parallel taxiway and wind up at the hold short line, it might a good idea to turn into the wind while waiting, so you are not 90 degrees to the jet's engines.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

TheSkyHornet

Weather shows a fairly strong crosswind from ESE, and since they were using 7L, it makes perfect sense---plausible at least---that the thrust was blown to the Cessna sitting at the hold short, if it was holding on the north side of 7L.

IF that's the case, it's really not a matter of how close you're taxiing to an airliner, but where you're stopping in holding for departing traffic, as well as your angle to the runway. Sometimes perpendicular just isn't a good idea even though it seems perfectly logical based on airport layout.