The Sons of the American Revolution Bronze Citizenship Award Ribbon

Started by CCFIs4Me, December 17, 2019, 12:10:27 AM

CCFIs4Me

At a previous Squadron Awards Banquet, I received a Bronze Citizenship Award from the Sons of the American Revolution. This contained a miniature medal and a ribbon. Such an award is not mentioned in CAPM 39-1, and I was wondering how I would go about finding information on wearing the ribbon. I am not as interested in wearing the medal so much as the ribbon. I noticed it was mentioned only once on this whole website, and the mention did not present an answer for my question.

CaptainKim

We're only allowed to wear CAP, military (excluding state), and certain foreign ribbons. If it's not in AFMAN 36-2903, it's not allowed.

See Chapter 11 of CAPM 39-1 for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GroundHawg

When I was still at the squadron level, I would submit my people for many awards outside of the normal channels. You may not be able to wear it on a CAP uniform, but when it comes time to write out those college scholarship applications, you will have much more to contribute, and it will look good in your shadowbox one day.

NIN

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 17, 2019, 12:41:03 PM
When I was still at the squadron level, I would submit my people for many awards outside of the normal channels. You may not be able to wear it on a CAP uniform, but when it comes time to write out those college scholarship applications, you will have much more to contribute, and it will look good in your shadowbox one day.

Our local Grange has an "outstanding Civil Air Patrol cadet award" they give every year.  Not sure how long they've been doing it, but I'm pretty sure at least 20 years.

(Full disclosure: having grown up in a midwestern state with a fair agricultural component, my only exposure to "The Grange" was "Grange Hall Road" off I-75 between Pontiac and Flint, Michigan. No clue it was an organization, let alone a national one. I got invited to a meeting and I was like "What ... is ... this?" with their arcane rituals. And thats something, considering some of our arcane rituals. The "Patrons of Husbandry" logo on the floor of the Grange kind of cracked me up, too)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Is this the ROTC award?

If so CAPM 39-1 pages 113-114 has your answer. Which is up to three J/ROTC awards may be
worn, but they have to be awarded by a military authority. So no.

Does ROTC allow its wear?

"That Others May Zoom"

supertigerCH

one positive thing i can say about the photo just posted...

it's a nice looking ribbon/medal, whether it turns out to be authorized for CAP uniforms or not. 

wish that could be said about all awards.  in my time i've seen a few that are downright oooogly... lol

TheSkyHornet

s.cap

My experience with JROTC wear of the non-program ribbons is that cadets can wear the ribbons at the unit only.

The ribbons were not allowed during inspections from higher echelons.

It appeared to be up to the local unit commander.,

Terry W.

The Sons of the American Revolution Citizenship Award is a National Award for JROTC and there are at least a dozen or more of these types of awards that are awarded to JROTC Cadets on an annual basis. Many come from military affiliated organizations and some from educational institutions such as Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.