Cyber Badge

Started by Picy3, May 31, 2019, 06:48:45 AM

Picy3

So I'm going to CDTA (Cyber Defense Training Academy) this year and one of my goals for the year was to obtain my Cyber badge. The only thing holding me from this is completion of step 2 for getting the basic rating:

"2. Complete the activities set forth in the CAP Introduction to Cyber Security Activity Guide. This involves classroom and hands-on activities comprising approximately 20 contact hours. The modules are designed as a squadron-level project for weekly meetings and one or two weekend days.)"

I have asked about having this taught at my squadron and gotten a definative no instead saying we will be doing the course next year most likely. Now it would seem to me that going to the academy would hold the same if not even more training that I would recieve from having the Intro to Cyber security taught to me. My question is aside from having it taught to me at my squadron is there any other routes I could take to get the same credit for it And/OR would it be at all possible to count going to the academy as completion of it? I've obviously never been to the academy so I wouldnt know if it would be a good comparison to having the same stuff taught but in the mandatory course we had to do to attend the academy there was a lot of the information that is also in CAP Intro to Cybersecurity.

I obviously know I shouldnt be thinking I can just "swap" one thing for another and use that to get the badge but since a prerequisit for the next rating is just mainly (At least for me) completion of CDTA I thought I might as well ask.
Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Picy3 on May 31, 2019, 06:48:45 AM
So I'm going to CDTA (Cyber Defense Training Academy) this year and one of my goals for the year was to obtain my Cyber badge. The only thing holding me from this is completion of step 2 for getting the basic rating:

"2. Complete the activities set forth in the CAP Introduction to Cyber Security Activity Guide. This involves classroom and hands-on activities comprising approximately 20 contact hours. The modules are designed as a squadron-level project for weekly meetings and one or two weekend days.)"

I have asked about having this taught at my squadron and gotten a definative no instead saying we will be doing the course next year most likely. Now it would seem to me that going to the academy would hold the same if not even more training that I would recieve from having the Intro to Cyber security taught to me. My question is aside from having it taught to me at my squadron is there any other routes I could take to get the same credit for it And/OR would it be at all possible to count going to the academy as completion of it? I've obviously never been to the academy so I wouldnt know if it would be a good comparison to having the same stuff taught but in the mandatory course we had to do to attend the academy there was a lot of the information that is also in CAP Intro to Cybersecurity.

I obviously know I shouldnt be thinking I can just "swap" one thing for another and use that to get the badge but since a prerequisit for the next rating is just mainly (At least for me) completion of CDTA I thought I might as well ask.

CDTA attendance cannot be exchanged for the activities in the Activity Guide for the Basic Cyber badge because CDTA attendance is a requirement for the Intermediate Cyber badge.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Picy3

Conclusive enough. Thank you Sir.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV

xray328

My cadet went to CDTA twice and was on the cyberpatriot team for 4 years and still can't get the badge.  Is there any way to get the requirements from the activity guide completed if the squadron doesn't want to teach it?

Eclipse

Participate at a unit that does.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

The stars would all have to align there.  If you hear of anyone offering it locally and not on Tuesday's please let me know. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSkyHornet

We're a unit that doesn't have a strong emphasis on cyber, primarily due to the time requirements of other curricula we teach. We are, however, actively working on the STEM Badge. It obviously takes a lot of time to get those hours in when it's 45 minutes this week, 60 minutes that week.

It's designed for squadrons to work on the completion criteria. If the entire squadron doesn't do it, then it would need to be a team/coached effort. Perhaps you could try to work on getting a group of 5 or 6 cadets who want to work on their Cyber Badge elements on the side from the weekly meeting.

Picy3

This may sound like a stupid question but if one were to put together a group of cadets to complete this (let's say for example (not that I'd do this probably) we do a half an hour class before the start of our weekly meetings). Other then the cadets to attend what would be needed senior member wise? Does the SM need any qualifications or special approval to teach this? (This assuming said SM is versed in the material obviously and not just "doing it").

If I could do this, how would one go about planning it? Would I ask said SM if he'd want to do it then go up the chain to properly plan it or start up the chain and then contact the SM if I received approval.

Some of that might sound stupid or obvious but as cadet who'd want to plan something like that I'd want to do it correctly and know how that works. I also know that the Senior Member would be volunteering his/her time to do this so it would really depend on that. (Aka I understand sometimes we can't just "do" stuff like this.)

DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV

TheSkyHornet

The preferred senior member is your Aerospace Education Officer (or Cyber Officer, if you have one), who should validate the time dedicated. Deputy Commander for Cadets or Activities Officer might also be appropriate.