Main Menu

HMRS 2019

Started by i gotta cap question, March 10, 2019, 04:09:35 PM

i gotta cap question

Hi everyone,

So I just got accepted into the 2019 HMRS basic course and I have some questions that hopefully an alumni can answer.
-Are there any surprises that I should prepare for?
-What are some of the best ways to get physically prepared?
-Is it really the most physically/academically demanding course in cap?
-Has anyone dropped out or not made it through the week?
-Is it mostly officers that attend?
-Which would you recommend: vest or 24hr pack?
-**For females: I haven't seen many other females, but what's it like? Does it seem any different or slightly more demanding?

Thanks for the help!

RMW14

I will see if I can help you with a few of your questions.

-Are there any surprises that I should prepare for?
     Depends on what you are calling surprises? There is no pop quiz opening day or having to low crawl to the areas regardless of what you may have heard. Depending where your home location is, the humidity of the area may be a surprise.

-What are some of the best ways to get physically prepared?
     This depends on what your current level of fitness is. Personally, I recommend that everyone prepare to walk everywhere. There is no van service from area to area.  Also you will do normal PT in the morning, similar to Encampment, run the confidence course, and the squadrons alternate between running as a squadron or playing 3 ball soccer. A good pair of boots, good socks, and just general PT should work for most people.

-Is it really the most physically/academically demanding course in cap?
     Again, this all depends on what you fell is physically/academically demanding? The course is everything that you make it as long as you understand that you will be outside for the entire 9 days, be expected to take in and retain information, and be expected to perform in field exercises in the same manner.

-Has anyone dropped out or not made it through the week?
     This should be the least of your worries. Go into the week with a positive attitude, ready to learn, and expecting to have fun at the same time, the 9 days will be over before you know it.

-Is it mostly officers that attend?
    The school accepts any student who meets the basic qualifications and is recommended by their Wing to attend. Cadet Airmen, NCO's, Cadet Officers, and Senior Members.

-Which would you recommend: vest or 24hr pack?
     This is all a personal choice but I would recommend staying away from "plate carriers" or "tac vests". They do one thing well, carry ballistic armor and ammunition for people in combat. CAP ES Operations and Hawk are nothing like combat. A good day pack will not only be more functional in the field but more comfortable in my personal opinion.

-**For females: I haven't seen many other females, but what's it like? Does it seem any different or slightly more demanding?
     I will leave this one for a female student to chime in.
Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP