Main Menu

Radio Programing

Started by SSgt Rudin, March 10, 2008, 12:41:48 AM

SSgt Rudin

I bought a 16 ch VHF and am more than very confused on how it needs to be programed. I know the Freq's that HAVE to go on CH1-4, but what else do I need to have programed on it to use it effectively? Since Freq's a FOUO you can send me a PM or and e-mail.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

BigMojo

Jordan, Did you buy it from Mike's? He should be able to help you program it.

I'd say besides the 1-4, have the Broward, Dade and Palm Beach repeater freqs in there would be good. Besides that, USCG freqs (Marine channels 6,9,16,22,23,83 if i remember correctly) and 121.5/775 if the radio will do it. I'd also have the NOAA weather broadcast in there.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Eclipse

Assuming the radio is compliant...

You need to have it certified by someone approved to do so by your wing, normally these members can also program most compliant radios for you.

If its not on the compliant list, and/or has not been certified for use,  it is both illegal and against CAP regs to use it for CAP use. An a-Cut and a receipt are not enough.

The compliant list is on the NTC website.

"That Others May Zoom"

SSgt Rudin

It is compliant, and I know it has to be certified however, I bought it over the internet and they will program it for free. I would rather have them do it for free and then get it certified rather than get it certified and if that person cannot program it have to pay $50 to get it programed. So, Now all I need to do is find the repeater freq's.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

SSgt Rudin

OK so from what I have gathered all I should have to provide for repeater frequencies is Transmit Freq/Receive Freq and Tone?  ???
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

JoeTomasone

You are correct.

I suggest you have V1-V4, 10 of the closest repeaters to you (or the ones you feel that you're most likely to need), and the primary and secondary repeater pairs with the Universal Tone.   Check CAPM 100-1 Vol 1 for the frequencies/tones, and consult your unit or Group Comms Officer for the list of repeaters/tones near you.

If you run into a major issue, PM me and I'll give you a hand.

SJFedor

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 10, 2008, 02:42:27 AM
It is compliant, and I know it has to be certified however, I bought it over the internet and they will program it for free. I would rather have them do it for free and then get it certified rather than get it certified and if that person cannot program it have to pay $50 to get it programed. So, Now all I need to do is find the repeater freq's.

Eh.... technically you giving them the frequencies for them to program for you would be an OPSEC/FOUO violation, since we're not supposed to give that out.

But I'm not a comm person.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

Quote from: SJFedor on March 10, 2008, 05:15:46 AM
Eh.... technically you giving them the frequencies for them to program for you would be an OPSEC/FOUO violation, since we're not supposed to give that out.

But I'm not a comm person.

Ah! But is it? Or are they acting as an agent and therefore that is official use.  I argued in a circle on this last year with a Comm person and gave up when I saw something shiny on the ground.   :-\

"That Others May Zoom"

SSgt Rudin

Well thats a good point, but if the person who certifies my radio can't program it and I have to go to a local radio store to get it done wouldn't I be in the same boat?

Unofficialy I'll be more worried about it when NHQ sends C/D orders to all the web sites that have our freq's listed on them. 91,500 google hits for "Civil Air Patrol frequencies"
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

floridacyclist

I would think that having a tech re-program the radio for official use would constitute the real definition of official use....however CAP may define it differently.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

N Harmon

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 10, 2008, 12:41:48 AM
I bought a 16 ch VHF and am more than very confused on how it needs to be programed. I know the Freq's that HAVE to go on CH1-4, but what else do I need to have programed on it to use it effectively? Since Freq's a FOUO you can send me a PM or and e-mail.

Go to the web page where you would download CAPR 100-1 Volume 1 (Hint: it's not where you get the rest of the publications), and look for the "VHF Designator Document". That will give you some ideas of what should be programmed as channels. I would recommend programming at the least V1-4, PA-D, and your local repeaters. As for the rest of the channels, that depends on your locale. It would make sense to program some USCG channels if you are near coastal areas (including the Great Lakes).

Quote from: floridacyclist on March 10, 2008, 07:31:50 PMI would think that having a tech re-program the radio for official use would constitute the real definition of official use....however CAP may define it differently.

The document I referenced above says "Information contained in this document is For Official Use Only (FOUO) and may not be released to other departments, agencies or individuals without the prior permission of the document originator". So while the frequencies themselves may be released to non-CAP who have a need to know, the designators for these frequencies seem to not be without permission.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

N Harmon

NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

CAP.is.1337

On the topic of the legalities of using a 3rd party programming entity, would it be acceptable if the programmer is a CAP member who already has access to the FOUO frequency lists?
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: CAP.is.1337 on April 09, 2008, 04:49:41 PM
On the topic of the legalities of using a 3rd party programming entity, would it be acceptable if the programmer is a CAP member who already has access to the FOUO frequency lists?

Yes that is more than acceptable, all CAP members who have completed OPSEC have access to the frequency listings. The question at hand is if giving the frequencies to a person or company who is not a member of/affiliated with CAP falls under the "Need to know" umbrella.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP