A topic that must be discussed with cadets...

Started by Stonewall, November 16, 2012, 06:47:09 PM

FARRIER

Quote from: ol'fido on November 18, 2012, 12:38:41 AMI would also give an honorable mention to Stripes.

Stripes wouldn't have the same impact it had back then either. The scene where Bill Murry (and the other actor) were asked if they were homosexual by the recruiter...is a non-issue today. Some of the stuff may be dated.

Recruiter: Now, are either of you homosexuals?
John Winger: [John and Russell look at each other] You mean, like, flaming, or...
Recruiter: Well, it's a standard question we have to ask.
Russell Ziskey: No, we're not homosexual, but we are *willing to learn*.
John Winger: Yeah, would they send us someplace special?
Recruiter: I guess that's "no" on both. Now if you could just give Uncle Sam your autograph...
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Eclipse

My youth was spent running up and down alleys and back stairwells, jumping on car hoods, and shoulder-rolling ala Starsky and Hutch and S.W.A.T.
I was right-handed, but always ran with the gun in my left hand, or else I was TJ perched on a roof somewhere waiting for the signal.

That or I was starting an "IV with D5W and ringers lactate".

In 1984 any hopes of a military career were essentially over thanks to a recruiter who couldn't give me a straight answer, and I was on track to
be a police officer more than anything else, so Beverly Hills Cop was on the calendar, but Red Dawn never came up.  I don't think I've actually ever seen it all the way through (blasphemy, I know). The future in PD blue was dashed thanks to the politics of hiring in the 3rd largest city in the country.

The reviews from friends have been mixed - most saying its been reduced to a formula action movie "lots of shooting" as one put it.

As said, the real "red menace" was a viable threat, these days not so much.  Our "Red Dawn" is more likely to come from a handful of bad actors vs. an invasion.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

I was a cadet during the latter parts of the Cold War. Red Dawn was, in our little pea-brains, a very real scenario. To be trained for, even.

Cadets today would be stunned to learn that not only were half of us packed and practiced, we were prepared to get the other half out, too.  We took bivouacs seriously. Land navigation, comms, first aid, observation, field craft. That was all "dual use" training.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

Quote from: NIN on November 30, 2012, 04:08:45 AM
I was a cadet during the latter parts of the Cold War. Red Dawn was, in our little pea-brains, a very real scenario. To be trained for, even.

Cadets today would be stunned to learn that not only were half of us packed and practiced, we were prepared to get the other half out, too.  We took bivouacs seriously. Land navigation, comms, first aid, observation, field craft. That was all "dual use" training.

+1

This is NOT a joke.  Cadets would not believe me if I sat up in front of them and attempted to explain what it was like.  In my very early teens, even prior to CAP, I hoarded canned foods, built a first aid kit, and had a no-crap bugout bag (backpack) ready to go.  I actually imagined myself having to bolt out of my window, grab my dog on the way out, and live life in the woods for years.  THEN Red Dawn came out!  Red Dawn had me re-thinking my plan.  /serious
Serving since 1987.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2012, 04:14:12 AM
Quote from: NIN on November 30, 2012, 04:08:45 AM

+1

This is NOT a joke.  Cadets would not believe me if I sat up in front of them and attempted to explain what it was like.  In my very early teens, even prior to CAP, I hoarded canned foods, built a first aid kit, and had a no-crap bugout bag (backpack) ready to go.  I actually imagined myself having to bolt out of my window, grab my dog on the way out, and live life in the woods for years.  THEN Red Dawn came out!  Red Dawn had me re-thinking my plan.  /serious

Wow. Things really were the same everywhere. The weekends we spend roaming the North Georgia mountains, survival skills, stuff out of the Ranger Handbook, recon, all the things associated with World's End and nuclear winter. No weapons training but most of us had basic skills obtained outside of CAP so if the time came...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

a2capt

I remember the invasion of Grenada, it was a cold foggy morning in San Diego County .. my 9th grade year. 1st period class was World Geography and we had been talking about the Caribbean that previous week.

... and then the next year, Red Dawn ..  only, yeah, the movie was centered in Colorado, but Mexico is really close here, and even though we have a lot of Marines here .. that scenario could have very well "fit" this area geographically, too. The mountains, the town, the railroad spurs, etc.

Duck and Cover, nothing. I still feel that even in the early 1980's the Cold War was going full strong.

Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall! .. I still remember hearing that on TV when it happened in 1987. Two days after school finished. I remember The Day After on ABC. We had this huge TV smashing top loader VHS and I recorded the broadcast and still have that crappy tape on the shelf.

SarDragon

Ummm...  the last time I checked, a minute or four ago, the wall came down in '89 and '90.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on November 30, 2012, 08:26:17 AM
Ummm...  the last time I checked, a minute or four ago, the wall came down in '89 and '90.
When was the Reagan speech thought?

Stonewall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 30, 2012, 02:53:04 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 30, 2012, 08:26:17 AM
When was the Reagan speech though?

June 12, 1987...

Youtube link.
Serving since 1987.

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on November 30, 2012, 08:26:17 AMUmmm...  the last time I checked, a minute or four ago, the wall came down in '89 and '90.
I didn't say the wall came down, just when Reagan threw down the gauntlet.

I have a piece of the wall here. I would have loved to hop a plane back then and been there, bring back a bigger chunk.

Some Cold War era stuff I have, and a little Leninade to brighten the party.. Get Hammered & Sickled! A Taste worth standing in line for!

Checkpoint Charlie replica sign, Berlin wall chunk, Soviet pilot mission logbook, CD radiological survey meter. The Apple //e that I'm sure I played Cannonball Blitz on, and used the "War Games" Dialer on many nights.. found some interesting modem numbers with .. etc.. ;)

ol'fido

I still remember going to buy my first issue of "Soldier of Fortune" magazine. If any of you are cannon cockers, the cover story was about how an M177(8" gun) battery was using some of the first engineering calculators to figure their firing solutions instead of the Army's TACFIRE system which was mounted on a truck. "Colorado Guardsmen Show the Regulars How". The unit was based in Colorado Springs. :'(
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

NIN

Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2012, 04:14:12 AM
+1

Guy I went to HS with was quite the "survivalist" type. He had a code word (the title of a book on the subject) that was "no kidding rally at the pre-arranged place, we gotta go" kind of thing.  He had weapons, too.

I remember thinking "My parents? They can make it without me."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: Cool Mace on November 16, 2012, 07:26:03 PM
Creativity has run it's course in Hollywood. Remakes are a joke.

The remake of "True Grit" was quite better than the original, IMHO   8)

bosshawk

Tony: I have color slides of East Berlin BEFORE the wall was built.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

a2capt

They had color back then!? :)

That would be a fun thing to see/scan..  I've not seen much in the way of color, of that era.

A friend that was stationed in various areas of Germany during the 1980's has had some fun stories to tell about the road to Berlin and the facades put up by the East side, the propaganda ..